• Digital lock and hate it

0 0%
  • Old fashioned spin dial and love it

34 66.67%
  • Old fashioned spin dial and hate it

4 7.84%

Thread: Attention gun safe owners

Default Attention gun safe owners

I am wanting to get a gun safe/vault and replace my gun cabinet (got kids now). I am wondering about the difference between the electronic combo and the old fashion spin dial. Who has what and how do you like it? My next problem is my old gun cabinet. I built it personally out of solid red oak and it is built right and is rather large. What should I do with it? Everyone says, "Oh, I wouldn't sell it". Maybe I can make a curio cabinet out of it!!
    EricL

Default Spin Dial

Just my personal preference. I have always been afraid of something going wrong with digital stuff....like my last computer, digital camera.......and then how the heck would you get into the thing????

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." John Wayne

Default gun safes

I didn't vote I needed more options. I have a digital lock and I do love it I made up my own combo hit the buttons and open. Like warhorse said though what if the electrnics fail I can't get into my safe. My son who's six recieved my father in laws gun safe it is a turn dial it takes a bit longer to get into but as long as you remember the combo you can get into it. I will be looking into getting another gun safe my new one will probally be a turn dial just because I dont trust the electronics.

Most of the digital safes I've looked at have a backup mechanism to get in. It is usually a physical key of some type that will bypass the electronics and is also used to set the electronics (e.g. the fingerprint reader).

I don't own one of them, but I would certainly buy an electronic safe if it were for a rapid access spot, such as bedside. For a large storage safe, I'd have to stick with a good old fashioned dial combo safe.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Most of the digital safes I've looked at have a backup mechanism to get in. It is usually a physical key of some type that will bypass the electronics and is also used to set the electronics (e.g. the fingerprint reader).

I don't own one of them, but I would certainly buy an electronic safe if it were for a rapid access spot, such as bedside. For a large storage safe, I'd have to stick with a good old fashioned dial combo safe.

Now a bedside one for quick access or a small one for quick access in stragegic areas of the house and shop would be fine with digital, might even have to try one. Do they make small ones you can secure to ??? furniture, wall, etc?

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." John Wayne

Default Gun safe

I have the old knob style and as long as you can remember # your good to go...
    Also I took my old wood cabinet and cut it down/ glass included-it makes a great place to store ammo in the locked bottom and the small top I put a shelf for reloading stuff. E-K-C

Yes warhorse they do make little one and two gun safes. I've got the single gun safe they have finger notches on top that you set your own touch code to. Hit the code door pops open and your ready to rock and roll. The model I'm thinking of the sw has. Single gun if I remember is like $100 and the do make a bracket so you can change the position to diferent spots in the house.

[quote=JOAT;439147]Most of the digital safes I've looked at have a backup mechanism to get in. It is usually a physical key of some type that will bypass the electronics and is also used to set the electronics (e.g. the fingerprint reader).quote]

Joat - My safe is digital with a key but the key is an additional locking mechanism. The digital lock will not unlock unless the keyed lock is in the unlocked position. Typically, I use the electronic lock only, but do lock both if I am planning on being away for while. Likewise, like most electronic locks - it is three tries then your out of luck. With my memory, I need them.

-hiker
    "Happiness is a warm gun - bang bang, shoot shoot!"
    -Lennon/McCartney

Default old spin

Thats what I have and I just couldn't bring myself to trusting a digital.

The "Gunvault" brand has some models that don't list an override key and specify a lockout after so many incorrect code entries. I'd be willing to bet there is a way to reset it after tripping the computer lockout. If not, there are tools out in the shop that will open the safe when all else fails (there's no such thing as an impenetrable safe). I'd suggest writting the code down in a hidden spot if it's going to be an issue of forgetting it (e.g. flip over your bedside table and write it on the bottom in an inconspicuous corner). Other brands do have a key bypass, such as ADG, which has a hidden keyhole that can bypass the code if it is forgotten. I also note that the Gunvault brand Biometric safe (access by fingerprint reader) does have a key bypass.

Here's a list of some of the small electronic safes. Various mounting options available, so you could get one to fit nearly any spot you wanted to mount it. In doing so, I'd also suggest mounting your safe in a hidden spot. Even the old wall mount behind a picture frame trick is still a good one.

http://www.safetysafeguards.com/site/402168/page/59024

http://www.safetysafeguards.com/site/402168/page/59023
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

My safe has both, the digital can be overriddenbut it would take a locksmith. I love having both for the security

Default Safe

Love the old spin style. Works great. Just make sure that you buy one that you think is bigger than you really need, especially with kids. It will fill up faster than you think, plus its always handy for other important items.

I don't have any experience with the digital ones, but the manual dial on my canon american eagle series isn't very good. One of the first problems that I encountered was that the after a few months of use the middle number in the combination changed to two less than what was printed on the card.

It did mentioned this in the manual and said it had something to do with the parts settling, but until I figured that out it was very frustrating. Additionally, it seems like it only opens properly maybe 4 out of 5 times. It's probably more of a problem with that brand of safe than with the style of the dial, but my experience has been negative.

Quote Originally Posted by almostfree View Post
    I don't have any experience with the digital ones, but the manual dial on my canon american eagle series isn't very good. One of the first problems that I encountered was that the after a few months of use the middle number in the combination changed to two less than what was printed on the card.

It did mentioned this in the manual and said it had something to do with the parts settling, but until I figured that out it was very frustrating. Additionally, it seems like it only opens properly maybe 4 out of 5 times. It's probably more of a problem with that brand of safe than with the style of the dial, but my experience has been negative.
    That is what I went through with my safe. I don't know what brand it is but I think it's about 20 years old. It's so picky that it takes 3 to 5 tries to open the thing, PITA but I know a thief will open it without spending a bunch of time working at it.

The finger print reader I will not get till they get better. After watching a TV show my nephew’s son bet me he could defeat my front door finger print lock. He used pencil sharpener dust and packing tape to lift my print off a coffee cup. Then he used my all in one printer to enlarge it 500% so he could fill in the gaps with a pen and shrink it back to size. Last he cut it out and used some spit to moisten it so it would wrap around his finger. His 2nd swipe the thing opened like a charm and I lost the bet. Took him about half an hour and it was his first time he did it!! This was a 13 year old kid who saw a TV show and was able to beat a $350 deadbolt on his first try. Took about as long as it took a lock smith to pick my door years back, but once he had the print he had a key. Making the paper print could all be done before coming to rip you off so I no longer like this fast way to unlock things.

Andy

I've got the digital. You can change the battery and it gives you a low-battery warning when you open the safe. Friends have the old dial and it seems like whenever she is wanting to get into the safe, she has to call her son, and it takes like 10 minutes for him to walk her through it once more. With the digital, for someone like a wife who doesn't get into it a lot, it is much easier. Not to mention, you're in your safe in 2 seconds and EVERY time.

Not really sure why everyone "doesn't trust the digital". You trust the digital to all your banking, likely taxes, personal information, etc. If this was 1972, maybe, but c'mon, these have been around a while and if it didn't work, they wouldn't still be selling them....

Default digital

I like the digital for the above reasons listed by "hunt ak." The digital's are more hackable (according to a locksmith friend of mine) but for me a gunsafe is more for fire protection and casual theft. If someone really wants to get into it they will even if you have a bank vault. Get the biggest safe with the best fire rating that you can afford.