Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AFG&G Goat Identification Quiz

Thumbs up AFG&G Goat Identification Quiz

http://www.wildlifenews.alaska.gov/h...iz_for_web.pdf

The above link will download a pdf to your computer for the digital version of a goat sex identification quiz that Fish and Game just recently produced. Since we recently had a lot of interest in this topic, I figured many would like to look through this to practice their skills before heading afield this coming fall.

Also available on paper at many ADF&G offices. I've got the newsprint version kicking around the living room...

Talked with ADF&G before I submitted my proposal. At this time they mentioned that they were working on a poster that would assist hunters, but when I mentioned that Utah has a test online they mentioned it would cost too much and it wasn't needed?

Glad to see they changed there mind.

Troy

I find the goats easier to id then sheep.. i only got 1 wrong on that test..

uhh... sticky btw... plz

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Thanks for the post, looks like they did a good job

Thumbs up Great post

Thanks for the post. I feel pretty good about that test. I only missed 1. Its great that game and fish finally came up with something else besides the poster. I would like to see something like montana's griz/black bear test though. You have to take the test and pass to get the certificate to hunt. Hillbilly

I missed a couple of the juvenile animals and one where the pic was fairly fuzzy. I wouldn't have pulled the trigger on any of those, though, so I felt pretty good about it. Even better, my wife got all of them but one, and she's the one with the permit this year!

Default i wanna know

i wanna know if the goat in question number 9 is still around and where exactly he is, thats a huge billy
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

I missed more than a couple but like Brian I wouldn't have shot any of the ones I missed.

Default Same here

I did not read any of the material, scrolled through and answered very quickly. Missed 2, but I would not have considered any of the goats I missed.
    Louis

Default Great Post

I sent a couple of pictures into the email address listed in the quiz and got a quick response from Kristen. She is going to use some of the pictures I sent her in the next edition. Sounds like she is looking for more.

Smile Good Reference

Thanks, Brian. That was a good test. I'll have to keep it in mind prior to the August opening date. Appreciate the information.

Mike

This is great. I'll take a copy of this with me to look at before we head out on the hunt. Every little bit helps & I even taught my wife & thing or two lastnight about goats (like I'm the expert)...we enjoyed looking at it together.

Thanks for sharing!

Default That was fun

And informative. I missed a bunch, but that's ok. I figure most I could not have shot with a bow anyway. They sure are pretty animals, and some gorgeous country to boot.
    Now If I could just get on top of the mountain as easy as it was in the test!

Default Cool!

I gotta say, that was pretty cool. I could see where that would help alot of people out.
    Ryan from Wasilla

Default Neat

I missed 2 but wouldn't have shot them anyway. DO all goats have orange collars or are the ones in the pictures someones pets or are they trying to make a fashion statement ? LoL
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Great stuff Brian. Missed #4 and #19. Will be studying up some more prior to October Kodiak goat hunt. Hopefully some studying in July scouting and August and September weekend goat hunting for my dads permits help solidify the differences between nannies and billies. Thanks again.

Missed two. Thought the first group of three was all nannies. The second time I picked the male out, though. Also missed on that young billy thinking it was a nannie.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default 18 out of 20

I do not buy the rump stain bs.....I have seen both Nannies and even kids with matted stained hair in the rump flank area.....Big

Missed one, but luckily guessed right on a couple I was unsure of... so I could have missed more. I would not have taken the shot on a number of those goats if all I could see is what was in the picture.

Those orange collars... sheesh we should send them in some pictures of goats without bright orange collars on.
    Alaska Fishing Forums : They are my addiction!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast