Thread: Asparagus growing in Alaska?

Default Asparagus growing in Alaska?

Has anyone had any success?

It will more then likely be in a geenhouse this summer. But any advice or at least try's at best on it would be appreciated.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Default We are trying

We tried some last spring. The plants were from Washburn Farm Nursery in Palmer. The plants did well last summer...we'll see how they come back this spring. They suggest not harvesting anything for 3 years.

You need to order in advance from Washburn as they only dig what people are picking up. I learned about them from my parents who purchased some berries and other bushes and I don't remember them losing anything. We purchased several different plant varieties and everything did well last summer...again, we'll see how they come back this spring.

Their contact info is:

Washburn Farm Nursery
    P.O. Box 823
    Palmer, AK 99645

(907) 745-3479
    Last edited by Eggy; 02-22-2009 at 12:53. Reason: Hit the wrong button!!

Quote Originally Posted by upinak View Post
    Has anyone had any success?

It will more then likely be in a geenhouse this summer. But any advice or at least try's at best on it would be appreciated.

We planted some a few years back it did come up the following spring but not the spring after that? We were told the same thing to wait 2-3 years before harvesting. We did cover area and both winters had faitly good snowfall for insulating so who knows may try again.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." John Wayne

Thanks I will keep that in mind.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

My parrents planted about 20 plants and now ( about 8 years later) they are finally getting significant sized asparagus from the 3 remaining plants. But it depends greatly on where you live. My parents live in big lake area, so if you are a little warmer then you might be just fine.