Thread: Johnson River/Delta Controlled/Charlie Boyd

Question Johnson River/Delta Controlled/Charlie Boyd

Trying to find out if there are other animals in the area? Caribou, Griz, Black Bear.... I will be in sheep hunting but what are chances if I go North up the Johnson and not south to sheep country.

Might be a few McComb caribou around and black or grizzly bears. I've seen caribou tracks along the Johnson and have seen black bears in the area.

If you have a 203/204 permit I wouldn't worry about these other animals and would just try to get a nice sheep.

Reminds me of the guys who draw a Kodiak goat permit and ask if there are any deer in their goat area.

I'm flying in with a partner that does not have a permit (DS204). 1st priority will be many miles for a trophy ram, others would just be crossed just by chance.

Thumbs up fair game...

You should absolutely see other game species in there. Black bear of modest size are fairly abundant. Grizz of modest size are available and you should see 1 or 2 (+-?) per week. Might see a moose in the bottom , but they are not open during the first hunt....(and I have not checked regs recently). One year in TMA, just a few miles away (west fork) from the CB Airstrip we saw 6 or 8 very fine 360 to 375 pt caribou.

You will see sheep, and some good rams in any of the high country if you are a hiking hero. And you should be, need to be, will be, with that great permit. The rams do not generally have large bases, but length can be very great and the typical argali, "tip-out" shape is beautiful. Whack a ram before saddleing yourself with the work involved with any other target of opportunity.

Being from E.R., you have a great training area right near home. No fishing for you this summer. Train high and hard!

Wook hard like any ram hunter and you are going to have a great hunt. Watch the weather on or near the glaciers. The glaciers create their own (poor) weather patterns.

Dennis
    Alaska true Adventure Guide Service

Default caribou

I wasn't as far east as Johnson last year, but we saw a ton of caribou. It is a registration hunt and only open during the walk-in portion of the season if I remember correctly. Not sure what portion of the sheep hunt you drew, but might be out of luck for caribou if you drew the motor-in hunt. Check the regs carefully.