Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite surplus gun?

Default What is your favorite surplus gun?

So far, mine is my SKS. It was cheap to buy, cheap to shoot, and a heck of a lot of fun! I've been thinking of getting a cheap bolt action to take and plink with.

I'm not really into the collecting without shooting thing. And I like being able to modify cheap guns since I'm no expert.

So what trips your trigger?

My 7.62X54R SAKO M-39 Finnish Mosin Nagant.
    I use Czech 147 grn. LPS "silver tip" that is both eceedingly accurate AND a "Key Holer" that blows holes through things.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Any $65.00 to $99.00 singleshot shotgun. Cheap to buy, cheap to shoot. And if you loose it, so what......

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    My 7.62X54R SAKO M-39 Finnish Mosin Nagant.
    I use Czech 147 grn. LPS "silver tip" that is both eceedingly accurate AND a "Key Holer" that blows holes through things.
    hi stranger! leave it to you and your sako! when you are in the field, animals tremble at your name (or would if they knew you). i have a 1950 vintage mk4 enfield that is a lot of fun to shoot. generally it has a diet of surplus ammunition, but my softpoint reloads get the job done, too.

it was purchased as unissued, and has a quality walnut stock, the metal is blued (not black paint), most importantly it is accurate. back in the 60's-70's the .303 was common in most every village and hunting camp from dawson to nome. that has changed due to ammunition availability and the current cost of military rifles in NRA vg-excellent.

it will hold it's own on moose size critters, and has killed more that it's share of big bears. the old .303 is still a caliber to "reckon with"

happy trails.
    jh
    Attached Images Attached Images

Geee, so by surplus you meant "Military" surplus.....Interesting. See to me surplus means, disposable, redundant, extra, not needed. To me surplus guns are any guns I would sell or trade or give away. Sorry for post #3, I misunderstood.

Hope don't sweat it... trench guns are cool too....

Default List

I believe of the surplus rifles there are many which work well and are fun to shoot, however:
    Undoudtedly the most accurate is the 6.5x55 Swede,it holds the accuracy and low recoil title. The Husky model 38 is of high quality workmanship with very clean lines and parts availability; and has decent power for up to moose size animals. Ammunition is loaded by all manufacturers in very good bullet choices.
    The CG-63 being the top of the line in accuracy in Swedes (at $1250.oo). The Swedes have been absorbed by the shooting public and at present are in excess of $ 300.00 for a good one. The Swedes didn't shoot corrosive ammo.

The easiest to locate at present are Mosin Nagants they are in the form of M91, M91/30, M38, M39, M44. All shoot the same ammo and are very hardy/well built. Being of Russian, Finish decent are well adapted to the harsh enviornments of AK as well. Accuracy will vary with rifle type and condition of rifle. These rifles were feed a diet of various types of corrosive ammo and sometimes the bores reflect it. Many of these rifle will have a counterbore; where the cleaning rods have damaged the bore, the armory went back and drilled out a 1/2" of so on the muzzle end to restore the muzzle lands. This allows the bullet to exit on lands that are of equal value. Prices start at $125 and up.
    There is much surplus (corrosive) ammo available as well as commercial ammo; it's now being imported .

The next would be the YUGO 8mm 98 variant rifle. These rifles are of intermediate action length. The Yugo models M24/47, M48, M48a, M48b,M48o are readily available and many of these rifles were never used. They were built after WW2 and the last conflict was the Bosnian/Croatin/Serbian war. So many of these rifles were imported NEW.
    Yugo 8mm ammo is being imported;this is war surplus much from the 90's and it is corrosive. But commercial ammo is readily available, both domestic and imported.
    These rifles start at under $200.

Many additional/quality rifles from many other countries exist, these are my favorite; AT PRESENT.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    Geee, so by surplus you meant "Military" surplus.....Interesting. See to me surplus means, disposable, redundant, extra, not needed. To me surplus guns are any guns I would sell or trade or give away. Sorry for post #3, I misunderstood.
    I thought the same thing when I read the title and I would have said "none".

All of the guns in my safe are needed and necessary.

Awhile ago, Century Arms had Swede's for $50 but they had a cracked stock. I bought several and none had any cracked stocks. Anyway, sporterized one and it is wonderful. That is far and away my best surplus rifle. I really like 98 Mausers but never got one with a good barrel. J.

Default 8mm Mauser

I have two of the Mitchell Mausers 8mm K98 models. Really nice guns, great price and very accurate. They were made in the 1940's and stored, so basically a new gun for $200 (at least that was the price a few years ago). Ammo was (keyword was) cheap I use to buy 600 rounds in bandoliers of 5rd stripper clips the whole case of 600 use to run $50-70. Good thing I bought up several thousand rounds.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." John Wayne

Default Cetme

I dont have one but a friend use to. it was a blast to shoot. I should have bought one when they were at surplus prices($250-300). now i probably will never own one at the ridiculous prices they are asking ($850-1000). Hillbilly

I have a Lee-Enfield sporterized Jungle Carbine that I'm very fond of. I bought it already sporterized at a gun show for $149. It's a lot of fun.

.303 British Enfield

M-1 from the CMP in the 70's,today they sell them for a grand.

Default FAL

I love FAL's. They are too fun to shoot, mine are DSA's so they're not really surplus but look and shoot the same. My second choice is the Garand

Thumbs up M1 Garand

Quote Originally Posted by 2dawgs View Post
    I love FAL's. They are too fun to shoot, mine are DSA's so they're not really surplus but look and shoot the same. My second choice is the Garand
    I do agree about the Garand, they are really nice shooting semi-autos, a bit heavy but they can take a beating rain, mud, etc and just keep firing not to mention at 30/06 a really accurate and formidable round. General Patton did say that the M1 Garand was the greatest battle implement ever devised. He was sure correct on that one.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." John Wayne

Default Well

With garands selling for around 8-1200 bucks and surplus ammo up to 70-80 cents a round the fun has just about gone out if a days shooting with a garand. Fals and CETMEs are 650 plus now, with surplus ammo around 80 cents a round. That turns a day of blasting clay birds and rocks in a pit into a day of overtime at the factory. NOT CHEAP.
    I KNOW, I reload too; but components have gone up and gotten had to get.

Mosins and mausers still have surplus ammo available for under 50 cents a round, in a 200 dollar rifle.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default M1!

M1 Garand or M1-A1, it's a hard choice! I love that "CHING" after rocking through 8 rounds, but the high capacity mags are more useful.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    Hopeak, no your post was fine. It wasn't meant to be ONLY military surplus, it just so happens that ALOT of cheap surplus guns that are fun to plink with are military. If you are into cheap single shot shotguns that you can lose, that sounds good to me!

We are frugle, not cheap right?

schmidty

Default surplus guns

Hands down, at this time, the Russian M44 or M38, shoots the 12cents a round 7.62x54r. I lightened mine up and carry it as my oh crap it is raining,snowing gun.
    Ragged holes at 50 yards with the rugged as heck sights.
    m44, lose the bayonet, the bayonet metal on the barrel, the barrel bands and the top forestock (they work loose after 50 rounds and you just push them back in place, but, why bother, just lose them)
    I am not kidding about the accuracy, using the surplus stuff, love the light bullets.
    99.00 at Gander mountain for the m44, or m91/30.
    Do the math, besides, action is rugged as heck, easy oh so easy take down.
    Got the Fal, M1 garand, ak47, #4 1* from Canada, Mauser m48a, Swede mausers, had the sks's plural, hands down the M44 or 38 for cheap start, cheap shoot, rugged, accurate, done deal. Everything else, 20-60 cents a round and hundreds more to start the shooting (the initial purchase of the weapon)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast