Thread: Not much for bragging, but that is what I won at the Brewing Competition!!

Talking Not much for bragging, but that is what I won at the Brewing Competition!!

News is a little late coming for ya, but better late than never, eh!

This was my first time ever entering in a brew competition so I had no idea what to expect. Pretty simple really, you enter your brew, judges taste it and critique it on a friendly little card and they select a winner.

I had entered 4 brews. A bitter, dark amber, lager, and pale ale (found a whole box of it in my pantry that I had brewed up and forgotten about, never tried it before entering).

Well, I had tasted my share of brews and was about to head out when it was suggested, by the head cheese, that I stick around.

It wasn't long before I heard, and I'll be darned if I didn't hear wrong, when my name was announced! 2nd place pale ale! You'll note that I had not tried this one prior! Stoked as I had been in a long time, having won on sheer luck, I was bouncing around like a little kid on a trampoline. While engaged in a conversation, some of my friends starting heckling me, saying that they had just called my name. I wrote it off as them giving me a hard time when alas, I began to make my way up to the front. I brought myself to a halt, certain that they were pulling a fast one when they called out "yeah, Brege, it's you again!" Holy Moly! I couldn't believe it! Pulled in 3rd place for a dark amber! Still can't believe it!

Now, don't get me wrong, this was just a small competition with wooden cutouts for the medals and only 96 entrees of brew, but having less than a year's worth of brewing experience under my belt...I was as proud as any brewer in there! Have done a pretty good job of keeping this quiet around town, but thought I'd share the excitement with you.

na zdrowie stolat!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's something to brag about: I've had a chance to drink some of BucknRut's beers (and plan to drink more in March)!

Talking Lots to go around!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Here's something to brag about: I've had a chance to drink some of BucknRut's beers (and plan to drink more in March)!
    Thanks for the props Brian!
    You're welcome anytime.
    Too bad Rick P and Dave didn't invite me over for dinner...they could have had some fine beverage with that fine seafood platter!

very cool ... If i only drank beer..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

So what exactly do you mean by...

Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    thought I'd share the excitement with you.
    Sounds like free samples to me

Thumbs up Certainly!

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    So what exactly do you mean by...

Sounds like free samples to me
    You betcha, anytime my friend! It is a mystery how 125 bottles grew legs and walked out of the garage within a week of winning a medal! All in good spirit though! One of the reason I was put here I suppose!

Congratulations on placing, cool! So are you down in Homer now? I thought you were going up to Fairbanks. Gotta kow so we can stop by for lessons. (and a sample )

Thumbs up Homer is Home!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    Congratulations on placing, cool! So are you down in Homer now? I thought you were going up to Fairbanks. Gotta kow so we can stop by for lessons. (and a sample )
    Anyone in Homer or anyone traveling too (if you're passing through, you might be a little itchier than the average Homeroid, but I'll still invite you in) is welcome to come by for a sample! Shoot me a PM and I'll gladly give you directions.

PS...Was originally heading to Fairbanks area, but was offered a job here in Homer on my way up, so Home it is! maybe a cabin in the Interior sometime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I'll second that one Brian, Josh does brew a **** fine beer! I was just telling him yestarday that I might head down for a weekend just to drink his beer and bs. ..... Funny thing, he hasn't got back to me about it!

Congrat's on the awards my friend!

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

Default awesome!

Hey man,

Great to hear about your success. Maybe when I get out of the cg and move back to homer(this wild spirit needs to be free - and back in alaska as a civilian is just the place) we can grab or make a brew together. I've got a really good german wit in primary, an oatmeal stout in another, and a top secret Alaska tribute ale in secondary 5 days from bottling. Hopefully I will be back in homer this summer. Brew on!

ROB