Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broadhead help??

Default Broadhead help??

I will be doing a grizz hunt this summer and looking for some input on what broadheads that has had good luck with. I shoot a Mathews and use RAGE back home for Blackeys but i know that won't b the case in AK..
    ANY HELP HERE-- G5-Muzzy-ROCKY MTN ???
    Thanks guys

Default Cut on Contact

Personally I shoot ABC Sonic's, but have shot steelforce, Montec's, and several 2 blade resharpenables.

Didn't like the montec's, maybe I had a bad batch, but I bent them during testing. Blew clear through the target (fairly new Block target) and sunk into a 4x4. cut the 4x4 away from the head and it came out bent.

125 grain steelforce didn't shoot as good as I wanted them to. 100 grainers shot well, but couldn't get the FOC I wanted out of them.

ALL of the 2 blade resharpenables were just too much work for me. Breaking the tips and re-grinding, soft metal bending and I just couldn't get them to stay consistent.

NONE of the above heads are bad, I'm not sayting that at all. Lotsa guys shoot them and love them, they just didn't work for me.

I absolutely love the sonics. 3 blades 125 grain @ 1" cut on contact, super sharp right out of the package, resharpenable AND replaceable. Not to mention they were under $40 for 6 last time I bought them.

I am shooting a 490 grain arrow @ 280 fps ... which was part of my problem with finding a tough enough broadhead...

Default Cut-on-impact

Any quality cut-on-impact broadhead will do. Best idea though is to try several different brands and see which one flies best for you.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thumbs up G5 Montec vs. 4X4???

& You won't use one again? Maybe that'll convince me of Montec's durability...

I would look at a good COC like Dave recommended. I have used the four bladed Magnus Stingers on moose with good results. They have always shot good for me.

For a once in a lifetime hunt like that settle for nothing less than the Silver Flame broadheads. Each and every one is built like a custom knife. They are works of art. I have a half dozen, and I am reserving them for a Brown Bear hunt.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i have been using the muzzy 100 and 125 three blades for years now... i like them, they have alway held up.. and the blades are easy to change in the field if you knick on of them.. i carry a set of tips and blades with me at all times and are easy to retune to my fletches..

i started using expendables this last season on bou and black bear.. i like how they fly also.. i forget what they are called at the moment but they do NOT require o rings. i like simple...simple is always better when your hands are half frozen and the wind is blowing...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Innerlocs and Magnus broadheads have killed quite a few bears for me and over a dozen more of my buddies, Black and Griz alike. I am pretty devoted to Magnus Stingers, they straight zip threw everything and fly pretty true too. I whacked a moose with one this year and was unable to recover the arrow, went through the moose and buried somewhere into the soft duff. It doesn't have to be the latest fad to work. The only bear I have ever lost from a bow and arrow shot was with a mechanical broadead, and it was actually an experimental deal, kind of sucked.

I like the T-2 Terminator by Easton
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thanks for the info i'm still not sure i guess i'll have to get a few and see whot shoots best!!

Jump over to tradgang.com and read Dr. Ashby's reports under the main forum menue. This is a traditional website so it favors heavy setups but after reading the studies I think most will agree that stout setups are the way to go when ---- happens. He makes the point that most setups work when everything goes right. I hope you have a couple of hours! Also look at the thread "the perfect arrow" in the POWWOW which has great info for building arrows to hold up to armor plate!

Thumbs up broadheads

Wensel Woodsman Broadheads are an amazing killing machine!! They aren't very easy to sharpen, but when you get an edge on them they are incredible. I shoot wood arrows, but they also come in standard screw in. Check out 3 Rivers Archery, or just go to the web site.

Just switched to G5 strikers in 08 for an Africa hunt. I was very pleased with this broadhead. My largest animal was a Kudu and he only went 40 yards after being double lunged. I also shot three whitetails and they all fell within sight of my stand. I believe there are many great broadheads on the market these days but the G5 flew so accuate out of my setup which was the most deciding factor for me. It is a COC fixed blade broadhead. I don't believe you would be disappointed in this head. I do plan to use this very braodhead should I be lucky enough to hunt Grizz in 2010!

I think i will b looking in to the G5s.. I just know what kind of killing power them RAGE have.. they leave one BIG ass hole in the Blackys. If they fly good i'll b all set!!

What kind of bow and what speed are you getting? that is a real factor in broadhead selection. I shoot gold tip big game 100 shafts and they are heavy as carbons go. I shoot thunderheads with them and they fly great and i shot through a buck last year lengthways and i still could not get the arrow out of the tree i hit. now if you are shooting 300fps you will have trouble getting many broadheads to fly properly. for a big bear a snuffer would be a great head if you are shooting a heavier arrow.

carbo EXP 350 max+ Mathews + 70lbs

Default broadhead commentary

Quote Originally Posted by RREXP View Post
    I will be doing a grizz hunt this summer and looking for some input on what broadheads that has had good luck with. I shoot a Mathews and use RAGE back home for Blackeys but i know that won't b the case in AK..
    ANY HELP HERE-- G5-Muzzy-ROCKY MTN ???
    Thanks guys
    Now opinions are like elbows, everyone has two or three.....You say you're hunting Grizzled Teddy Bears. Pretty stout animal that you absolutely need to double lung to put down safely. Broadside shot, on-side front leg extended, and I don't personally have to walk into the thick alders to retrieve, you can probably get by with inferior, poorly made broadheads. Muzzy and Rocky Mountain come to mind as inferior broadheads (did he really say that?) Yes I say again Muzzy and Rocky Mountain and any broadhead that is fragile using vented insert blades would not be what I'd want to use to hunt the large bears. The vented blades have a tendency to sway down into collapse upon impact with bone structure. Don't even waste my time talking about expandable broadheads. Broadhead deformation from impact upon bone structure will result in poor terminal penetration. The objective you're looking for is a complete pass through to open two points of bleeding on the animal and insertion of air into that diaphram to collapse those lungs. That requires a stout, well made broadhead afixxed to a heavy arrow matched to the bow all working in unison to facilitate a complete pass through.

I see you're shooting a Matthews (I assume compound) and if like most compound shooters looking at that speed demon thang. Consider shooting a heavier arrow (at least 650 grains) with the majority of that mass weight right up front for a high Forward of Center %. Consider slowing the arrow speed down by increasing arrow weight and thus increasing momentum. Look to be shooting in the neighborhood of at least 10 grains of arrow weight per pound draw of your bow. As for broadhead selection, there are many good ones. The Grizzly Grande 190, the STOS (Slicker that Owl Sheet), the Abowyer, the Zwikey Delta and of course if you can afford them the German Kinetics Silver Flame are a few that come to mind. Yes,,,,, I have only cited two bladed broadheads above. There are some stout 3 bladed broadheads on the market but they will provide greater resistance to a complete pass-through (which is the targeted objective) as they by nature of three blades require a greater force to effect complete pass through.

Someone mentioned the Wensel Woodsman 3 bladed broadhead. And for sake of discussion I'll include the Magnus Snuffers in the same conversation. Those broadheads have killed many deer. That's an undisputed fact. But deer are a minimal test medium when considering hunting an animal higher up the food chain than puney Humans. It's been proven many times that upon impact with bone the Wensel Woodsmans' and the Snuffers cutting edges swag down upon impact with bone and thus loose penetration at the precise time when it is needed most. There is a 3 bladed solid head built by Morrison archery called the 300 extreem(300 grains) that has good potential. If I was inclined to shoot a 3 blade, it would probably be the Morrison but I have no personal experience with it. I have shot the Montec G-5 and was not overly impressed with it's ability to retain an edge....perhaps you've had better results sharpening it than I. Also I found the design of the G-5 to be fragile under extreme conditions.

It's been said in a prior post that you should consider reading the extensive research offered by Dr. Ed Ashby. That is sage advise well worth the time spent in learning about broadhead/arrow performance upon impact with bone structure. Compound shooters seem to have the most difficult time swallowing this research, as it tends to downplay the compound holy grail of the almighty speed God. However, I've personally never seen any compound shooter come close to equaling the quality of Dr. Ashby's research product. Unless you pooh-pooh all of Dr. Ashby's research you can't help but see the benefits of the Single Bevel grind upon the two bladed broadhead.

But in the end choose whichever Wal-mart special broadhead you feel comfortable shooting. They will pretty much all work when the ideal conditions are encountered, i.e. (Broadside shot, on-side front leg extended, and I don't personally have to walk into the thick alders to retrieve the critter). It's only when things go wrong with the shot and bone structure get in the way of that complete pass through that you'll wish for a stout broadhead up to the challenge of breaking through substantial bone structure to drive that broadhead completely through.

If you are ever in WashDC, stop by the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History. They have some Grizzly bear skeletons on display. The skeletal armor offered by nature to a Grizzled Teddy Bear is awesome to look at.

....and that's just my opinion on broadheads.....it's free advice and probably only worth just that which it cost you....

Good luck on your hunt partner
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror

Default What he said .........

After going back to my notes and through my collection of arrows.... I ran across those I purpose built for a failed griz hunt a couple of seasons ago.
    602 grains, full length Gold Tip Big Games with full length 3 gpi tubes and 125g Sonics (sorry about the 3 blade thing) with weight added behind the insert to give me 15% FOC (if I remember right)

as stated in the previous post.... speed isn't everything.... but I was able to throw these logs @ 222fps @ 74lbs & 242 fps @ 84lbs and shot it all summer long and settled at 238 fps delivery speed for stability and accuracy. You can do the math on KE and momentum if you wanna..... Shaving fletching off out to 50 yards and sub 4" groups @ 60. NEVER NEVER NEVER would shoot something that could eat me that far, not no way, not no how!

Personally.... 35 yards is max for something that can eat me, and under 30 makes me much more comfy Don't let him see you or smell you and you can (with the right person and a good backup gun) be plenty safe. Closer than is sane and out of sight, out of mind with an extremely accurate, quiet setup with heavy arrows and solid cut on contact, insanely sharp broadheads.

Did manage to get complete penetration on a big bodied bull 'bou @ 32 yards..... Arrow broke a rib on the way in, sliced through the liver, got a little of the near side lung, got LOTS of the off side lung and broke the ball of the shoulder on the way out into never never land. Wish I coulda found the arrow so I could see what the head looked like after that... He was steeply up hill and I was on both knees trying to hide behind a couple of blades of grass....

light and fast works some of the time, but not for me when I'm no longer at the top of the food chain. For the record, light and fast for me is 490 grains @ 290 fps.

Like I said before...... what he said

I'm shooting a "Alaska bow hunting supply" 150grn "samurai" on a "arrow dynamics" "Hammerhead" shaft for big or toothy game. I think the importance of shaft selection for trad shooters at least is also worth mentioning. With the Hammerheads I get twice as much penetration out of the same bow and target points as I do a gold tip 5575. The Hammer heads also fly like a dart out of every bow I own.

The Samurai is a silver flame quality broad head with all of Ashbey's design criteria for the "perfect broad head". It was expensive but these are among the strongest, best designed and well made broad heads available.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Well

I was looking around on the net and typed in broadhead review and came up with a hell of good one from Amercan-hunter. com It's worth checking out it does have every Bhead but it does have a lot of info..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast