Thread: Mills Creek Goat

Default Mills Creek Goat

Any advice for the Mills Creek goat tag. Drew the tag and am looking for anyone who has info on this area for goat.

Thanks.

Default Mills Creek...

Hunt after sep 15th. Prior to that the goats are mostly up in the top of the rocks in inaccessable places. After Sep 15th they they come down to the bottom of the rocky tops, just above the alders. Low enough to whack.

Sep 23 has been my luck day X2.

After Sep 30 it gets cold up there and then you will deal withe frozen ground and ice. When I can no longer press my boots into the slope I'm out of there. I do not do ice well. Plus, after about Sep 30 the days are getting short. That, plus routine weather rolling in from PWS makes for a lot of tent time.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Thanks for the information.

Don D, I would enjoy doing a re-con into Mills Creek this summer if you wanted company. I have never been in there, and I do not have a permit, just like to walk'about...abit.

Default Mills Creek Goats

You should spend the summer watching the goats from the Tern Lake parking lot. This is one of the most accessible goat areas in Alaska. I helped a friend a few years ago take a goat on a one day hunt. Our original plan was to camp in a gravel pit a few miles up the Seward Hwy towards Anchorage and then hike up the back side of the mountain. We ended up spotting the goats from Tern Lake and convinced ourselves a frontal assault was the best plan. There is a access road that takes you part way up the mountain and ends at a utility building. From there we climbed through the trees and brush. The climbing wasn't bad but was steeper than we expected. We lucked out and had a bluebird day. On a rainy day the rocks would be slick and dangerous. The goats kept going higher and higher until we were on top of the mountain. We ended up shooting across one of the many drainages and took a nice billy at 200 yards. We followed the drainage down and it was miserably steep and we had to go one at a time to avoid sending rocks down on top of my partner. We made it to the truck after dark and we were both wiped out tired. I would recommend waiting until mid September to allow for better hair on your goat. Hike up the backside of the mountain during the summer and see how the climb is. I wish we had tried it even though the frontal assault worked for us.

Thumbs up hike

In my opinion...
    I believe you should dedicate the entire summer to hiking every ridgeline. Forget fishing and beer drinking. Hike like the animal, the predator you need to become. If you hike every ridgeline, then when you decide to hunt you will know how to access every drainage. You will know where to go and where to avoid. You will know where you have been progressively seeing billys. Keep track of where to best stay the night and where to find clear water (which is really everywhere).

This is one of the reasons why guided hunters have such a high kill rate. If a guide has been up there three years prior, then that forth time is an easy, confident kill. While backpacking those ridgelines you will also gain leg strength, and the mental committment to hunt through hardships. And by hiking high all summer you will become comfortable with goat cliffs, vertical country.

As the summer progresses you will spot a lot of black bears also.

Get out of that truck. You can spot from your truck for the rest of your life. Again, become a caveman, a predatory caveman. The only way to get out of your civilized self is to actually sweat it out all summer long.

You have a very great permit. A permit for an area accessable from a highway! Get a 10 incher!

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Did the mills Creek hike today, what a HOOT.