Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebarreling a Weatherby

Default Rebarreling a Weatherby

I am curious as to why I have never seen a mention of rebarreling a Weatherby action. I know they are held in esteem by many but you never seem to find a custom rifle based on this action. Why is that? Is there a design flaw that makes rebarreling these actions difficult or is it the fact that there are just not a large number of these actions out there?

I would guess it is because when people buy a Weatherby it is because they want a Weatherby.

I can't think of too many features that the Weatherby action has to recommend it over a Model 70 or quality 98 Mauser for a custom rifle.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Weatherbys have good barrels.

They are already custom, in that they have the desirable features already, some of which are unique to Weatherby. That's one reason to buy a Weatherby.

To put it another way, I have a rather Utility Version of Weatherby Mk V, that I got at a gun-show at a fraction of the new price, and I can't think of one thing I would change to improve it.

However, Weatherby does have a Custom Shop.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default rebarreling

A lot of rebarreling is done for three reasons: 1) people want a magnum or bigger caliber, 2) the old barrel is shot out from years of use, 3) people want better accuracy:

1)Since you already have a magnum caliber in most Weathebys there is no reason to rebarrel for that reason.

2) As to being shot out - most Weatherbys - esp. the Mk Vs - just aren't shot much by the armchair hunters that buy them. If you want proof- just checkout the used Weatherbys you see at any gun store or gun show - most are still like new! Check out the range also and talk to the guy shooting a Weatherby - odds are he is shooting just few rounds to check his zero prior to going on a guided hunt. Of course this is true of a lot of other high end guns - I'm not picking on Weatherby owners.

3) Is similar to 2) -most Weatherby owners just aren't serious shooters

As to actual rebarreling - the Mk Vs breeching is similar to the Remingtons, etc. - no extractor cut or funnel breech and V threads - they were designed for inexpensive manufacturing like most modern guns.

Quote Originally Posted by j_h_nimrod View Post
    I am curious as to why I have never seen a mention of rebarreling a Weatherby action. I know they are held in esteem by many but you never seem to find a custom rifle based on this action. Why is that? Is there a design flaw that makes rebarreling these actions difficult or is it the fact that there are just not a large number of these actions out there?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default armchair hunter?

nice, just because Weatherby oweners recognize quality and are willing to pay for it does not somehow make them lesser hunters or shooters.

True I'm not a "serious shooter" if I had to take my gun to the range once a week to make sure it still shot straight I'd probably look for a new gun. And for me if it's on it's on. it's a tool not a toy.... some of my other guns are for fun, my Weatherby's are for hunting.

Never been on a guided hunt, sounds good though

Default Weatherby owners

I still own a couple - I'm not knocking Weatherbys, just generally charactizing a lot of the owners - I didn't say all by any means!

How many well used Weatherbys have ever you seen? While I see other makes of high quality guns like pre-64 70s that have seen much use I just don't see Weatherbys that have seen the woods much - much still look pretty much new and unused - kinda like french and italian army rifles

Check out the people shooting Weatherby's when you go a public range - you will see what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by BAR300 View Post
    nice, just because Weatherby oweners recognize quality and are willing to pay for it does not somehow make them lesser hunters or shooters.

True I'm not a "serious shooter" if I had to take my gun to the range once a week to make sure it still shot straight I'd probably look for a new gun. And for me if it's on it's on. it's a tool not a toy.... some of my other guns are for fun, my Weatherby's are for hunting.

Never been on a guided hunt, sounds good though
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

I would tend to agree with tvfinak's observations. I see a few Weatherby rifles come in to my gunshop for trade and most have one or two boxes of emptys and another box or so of unfired rounds and that is all that has been bought or fired through the gun. I like shooting all my guns equally; I tend to shoot some more than others but don't really make a distinction on which it is, just what I happen to have a healthy supply of ammo for at the moment and a hankering for.

I was wondering because there is a rifle I want in a caliber I don't want that is cheap enough to consider for just the action and stock. Plus it is already a magnum action. Then I got to thinking that I had never seen a customized Weatherby...

Thanks for the help.

Default I have a "few rifle's"...

And the only one I hunt with is a MK V Deluxe. It goes wherever I dare go myself, and has one of the most beautiful wood stocks on it that I've ever seen. however to see the grain in that wood you have to look past alot of, um' badges of honor?? also the blueing is well worn and yet she still goes to the range with me atleast 2 times a month and hunting for several weeks a year.

My friends call her pretty pretty princess and scoff at me when I wipe her down every night before bed! I guess those SS/Syn guns are just for real hunters.

One last thing, After next hunting season she'll be headed back to Weatherby for a new tube.

Jake

Default exception

I like to see people enjoy and use their guns - but I think you are an unusual Weatherby owner.

When use use and enjoy a rifle it does end up with many "badges of honor". You normally just don't see them on Weatherby MK V rifles.

I've got an early German Mk V in .378 I carried a time or two humting but it just didn't feel right to me. I didn't worry about it aquiring a few blemishes, I just never got used to the feel of it. I also never really trusted the push feed.

I personally like wood and blue but I must admit the stainless / synthetic are the way to go around salt water where you just can't keep a blued gun from rusting.

Quote Originally Posted by CZ_IN_AK View Post
    And the only one I hunt with is a MK V Deluxe. It goes wherever I dare go myself, and has one of the most beautiful wood stocks on it that I've ever seen. however to see the grain in that wood you have to look past alot of, um' badges of honor?? also the blueing is well worn and yet she still goes to the range with me atleast 2 times a month and hunting for several weeks a year.

My friends call her pretty pretty princess and scoff at me when I wipe her down every night before bed! I guess those SS/Syn guns are just for real hunters.

One last thing, After next hunting season she'll be headed back to Weatherby for a new tube.

Jake

I'm probably not the normal Weatherby owner.

My Mk V 7mm Wby Mag. has a plastic stock, and it's SS. It's the one I hunt with, most of the time.

It's spendy to shoot with FLs, but I got 100 Norma cases, and made only one load, with no load developement whatever. 160 gr. Nosler Partition, and H1000. I shoot it every so often, and I'm on the 2nd go around with the brass.

I also make cases out of 7mm Rem. Mag. and tinker with different loads using that brass. I even have a Cast Bullet load.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Default The Humvee of the rifle world

They both started out as one of the best units going and then everyone found out. Then they sold them to Californians and the next thing you know... H2, H3, Vanguard, XXII... There are still some that will put them through their paces though.

Default Weatherby rebarrel

In 1984 I came to Alaska with an old west german .300 weatherby. In Colorado I used to shoot 20 rounds a week for many years with this rifle just to be able to "keep in touch" with it. Upon moving here, I obtained a job packing for a guide, and soon earned my assistant guide license. This rifle was just too pretty to tear up in the field day after day so I sent it to a friend of mine who built a weatherproof stock, nickel plated the barrel and action, and bolted the floor plate shut. This served as a great guide gun for a couple of years until I realized it no longer had the accuracy I had come to expect.
    I decided to have it rebarreled and took it into Red's shop in Anchorage. They put a new stainless Shilen .340 barrel on it with no problem. Figured if I was gonna be hunting bears with it, might as well make it a bear gun. The accuracy mostly came back ( probably not quite because of the larger calilber)(and me) and I have never been sorry about any of it.
    Probably the smartest thing I did was bolt the floor plate shut. Before doing so, it had caught on the brush a couple of times and I would find an empty magazine somewhere down the trail. This is an inherent problem with Weatherby floor plate latches. Never happened to me again, but I did see it happen to a few of my clients over the years who used Weatherby rifles.I would highly recomend this procedure for hunting any kind of dangerous game, or just hunting anything in Alaska.
    So, yes, these rifles can be rebarreled, but I agree with a previous post...weatherby already makes a fine barrel themselves, so I would not rebarrel unless necessary or changing caliber.
    One more note.....I don't fit into that previously mentioned catagory of Weatherby owners who are not serious shooters. there was a good reason I shot out the original .300 barrel.......its called serious shooting.

That 300 Weatherby usta be THE gun up here, and I've seen many of them that were banged up, apparently from actual use in the field.

I've never seen a used one last for long either. I suppose that a lot of people were eager to get a 300 Weatherby at a cheaper price.

IMO, the 300 Weatherby is the best 300 Magnum cartridge, out there. Lots of 300 H&H rifles were rechambered to 300 Weatherby.

I always preferred the 7mm Weatherby cartridge, and if mine didn't have the Synthetic Stock, but had the beautiful wood stock, I'd still use it for hunting.

I've not used it extensively, like a Guide would use a rifle, but I've had no issues whatever, with the floorplate, and I can't even imagine a situation where it would come loose on me.

I've never heard of one coming loose. It's way stronger than the floorplates on 700 Remingtons, for example.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Default Imagine this

Imagine 90-100 days each season in the field hunting Alaska, for many years in a row.. Untold hours at times busting through willows and alders that grow down the slope instead of up. Then imagine the external floor plate latch of tht Mark V fully exposed on the front of the trigger guard. Most times when going through heavy brush you have no choice but to carry your rifle in front of you with that latch fully exposed to the branches. Believe me, it will come open sooner or later. The only question is when. Maybe never if you don't spend that much time out there, or your really lucky.
    But this is a different subject than the original rebareling question. I just responded to Smitty's comments to remind Weatherby fans (I being one of them, along with affections toward Winchesters and Rugers also) to please realize that just because it has not happened to you, doesn't mean it can't or won't in the future. Not something I was willing to take a chance on, considering this was what I did for a living, especially on the brown bear part of the deal.
    Smitty, if you ever want to see a Weatherby that has been used hard and long (over 30 years) and still functions perfectly, you are welcome to take a look at my .340 anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary W. View Post
    Imagine 90-100 days each season in the field hunting Alaska, for many years in a row.. Untold hours at times busting through willows and alders that grow down the slope instead of up. Then imagine the external floor plate latch of tht Mark V fully exposed on the front of the trigger guard. Most times when going through heavy brush you have no choice but to carry your rifle in front of you with that latch fully exposed to the branches. Believe me, it will come open sooner or later. The only question is when. Maybe never if you don't spend that much time out there, or your really lucky.
    But this is a different subject than the original rebareling question. I just responded to Smitty's comments to remind Weatherby fans (I being one of them, along with affections toward Winchesters and Rugers also) to please realize that just because it has not happened to you, doesn't mean it can't or won't in the future. Not something I was willing to take a chance on, considering this was what I did for a living, especially on the brown bear part of the deal.
    Smitty, if you ever want to see a Weatherby that has been used hard and long (over 30 years) and still functions perfectly, you are welcome to take a look at my .340 anytime.
    Gary W.
    I DID, QUALIFY my remarks by saying.... "I've not used it extensively, like a Guide would use a rifle".

When I carry my rifle, I am of course, careful with it. I imagine a guide would get tired of that or find it impractical, or impossible, to focus on, in a lot of situations. I can see why you did it, and I hope you can see why I don't. The way I carry, I'm satisfied it won't be an issue, at least when compared to other possible occurrences.

For example, I always put a strip of electrical tape over the end of my barrel. That is, I believe, a something everyone should do. Bolting my floor plate shut, on a rifle like a Weatherby isn't normally justified IMO.

However, I don't mind if you do it, or disagree with me on this matter. I was not intending to be contentious, but just to say that a Weatherby MK V, Does Not, have a flimsy floor plate or latch. Which may have been implied by your post.

I would have little use for a rifle that I was afraid to use, because it was too pretty. I applaud your use of your Weatherby, even though it has a wood stock. I'd do the same thing.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Default Not flimsey..just could have been designed better

I agree that its a strong latch, just not as good as the rest of the rest of the rifle. Also in my first post I spoke of having a weather proof fiberglass stock built at the same time it was nickel plated. The wood stock would have been very impractical when there were much better alternatives at that time. The original beautiful wood stock has been sitting in my closet gathering dust since 1986 still pretty as ever.
    My apologies to Nimrod for partially highjacking his rebarrel thread. At least we kept it to Weatherby rifles. Thanks

I've had a couple Weatherby's - 460, 378, 300 and the 257. All shot well but the 300 and 257 starting walking around the bull after 4 or 5 shots. They all copper fouled badly. I think for some that thought their barrels were shot out - it was probably just badly fouled. I would think their barrels are good for at least 5K rounds except for maybe the 257, as I know I always loaded that puppy on the hot side and I suspect others do the same. 5K rounds is a lot of shooting, as those Weatherby's burn threw a lot of powder and the brass isn't cheap but then again if you've got the money I guess 5K rounds is just a walk around the park. I still have the 378, as I can't find a buyer wanting to pay my asking price. I love the 300 Weatherby and had Kliengaunther make me one with a stress relieved barrel. Its won several "hunter" matches and rolled a moose with one shot, nicely placed round with a SWAG hold in a blizzard. It's killed numerous mule deer and a couple antolope with reduced velocity loads using 165 and 180 grain bullet. The 257 could reach out a touch crows at some pretty astounding distances with the 100 grain.

My 26 year old 300 wby from the now closed Down under guns in Fairbanks is currently undergoing a facelift after all of these years of very dependable service. A few weeks ago I installed a wby green with black splatter syn stock and put the character marked wood stock in the closet. It will now go off to be coated as the bluing is gone in a few areas from alot of use. This rifle has been better than good to me over all of these years and has accounted for many, many heads of game.

I began carrying my 375 H&H quite a lot over the past 10 years and I put the 300 in somewhat of a retirement state but with a trip to Namibia for plains game coming up I have decided that it is time to bring her out again for another round of play.

Although my gunsmith loves me as I give him lots of work I have really never had the need to do anything to my 300 as she has really been good to me from day one.

Great rifle!

Quote Originally Posted by j_h_nimrod View Post
    I just had a Weatherby Mark V 257 Wby converted to 300 Wby Mag by rebarreling with a #3 contour Lilja 1:10 twist, by Stan Jackson here in Anchorage. The magazine spacer was removed and the bolt stop opened up. Stan did an excellent job.

Quote Originally Posted by CZ_IN_AK View Post

Jake
    Thats funny Jake, and I wonder if you might have a point there, so many guys nowadays gotta have the SS/Syn thing but I hunted with my markV (given to me by my father for my 12th birthday) for over 30 years before I had a McMillan put on it since I was so embarrassed about how poorly I'd treated the fancy wood over the years, then I had it treated with black-t by Vince Bauldof and a muzzle break installed and its incredible now. I'll never sell the thing and hunt with it still to this day. I've heard stories of shooting out the barrel on a .300 wthby, do you have any idea as to the life expectancy as far as normal round counts goes?

Thanks, Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast