Thread: honda pwrd puller

Default honda pwrd puller

Can you buy a honda gas powered pot puller in Alaska? Where?

Default Honda Pot Pullers

They are available locally from Marieta Sea N Ski off Dowling road in ANC.

By the way - I think they are the best - bar none - for the money and the amount they will pull all at once.

Default How Much?

What does Marita charge for the Honda Pullers?

You might want to check out the Electra-Dyne before to jump on a honda powered hauler. Totaly different animal than all of the other electric haulers seen here.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Honda W Gear Reduction Motor

Marieta Prices - I am not sure what there current price is.

The units are made in Washington State and they are the local dealer.

Manufactured by

Brothers Welding
    Brinnon Wa. 98320
    broweld@olypen.com
    360 796-4163

akfishnut has it right. Marita is the only place to buy them in AK. I bought one from them this time last year, at the Sportman's show. It was either $1100 or $1200....can't remember for sure, but it was the same price that I saw them advertised for in Seattle...before the shipping. It also came with a 6 ft davit.

I think it is awesome, and the best way to go if your aren't set up with hydraulics.

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Default thanks guys...

Marita and/or sportsman show... I'll get by sometime soon... Until then -

What does the total package weigh? (motor,davit and pulley) estimate is fine...

potbuilder, I saw the unit you suggested. I also read the past threads where you and others discussed pullers. Looks nice but I'm just not sure I want electric... and hydraulic does not seem to be practical for my situation...

Honda unit... Specs say max pull 500lbs... That's a lot! Any owners out there actually used it to pull more than pots? Say boarding a big halibut, a bear or other large heavy items... How did it work?

I know some of this has been discussed but I'm just working through the process myself.

Do I wanna buy a small, light weight, compact electrical unit and be limited on just pulling pots (a few at a time)... And be forced to upgrade my battery situation... (currently two stand alone 12volt starting batteries... One for main and one for the kicker) OR

Do I buy a heavier, stand alone gas powered unit that could pull most anything...

I'm open to thoughts and suggestions... I've not made up my mind. Still just scratching my head...

Thanks

Default electro-dyne

Hey potbuilder... and others...

Is there a dealer in town for electro-dyne?

Quote Originally Posted by WinMag View Post
    Hey potbuilder... and others...

Is there a dealer in town for electro-dyne?
    I am the alaskan dealer for Electra Dyne !!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Marita and/or sportsman show... I'll get by sometime soon... Until then -

What does the total package weigh? (motor,davit and pulley) estimate is fine...

potbuilder, I saw the unit you suggested. I also read the past threads where you and others discussed pullers. Looks nice but I'm just not sure I want electric... and hydraulic does not seem to be practical for my situation...

Honda unit... Specs say max pull 500lbs... That's a lot! Any owners out there actually used it to pull more than pots? Say boarding a big halibut, a bear or other large heavy items... How did it work?

I know some of this has been discussed but I'm just working through the process myself.

Do I wanna buy a small, light weight, compact electrical unit and be limited on just pulling pots (a few at a time)... And be forced to upgrade my battery situation... (currently two stand alone 12volt starting batteries... One for main and one for the kicker) OR

Do I buy a heavier, stand alone gas powered unit that could pull most anything...

I'm open to thoughts and suggestions... I've not made up my mind. Still just scratching my head...

Thanks
    Just remember that no matter how powerful a hauler you buy its only as strong as your davit set up. The E-D is not a lightweight unit, its got a lot of balls for a electric hauler, completly different gearing/motor set up than all those little toy haulers out there. I'll be at the palmer lions gun show this weekend at the fairgrounds, if you have time stop out and check out the E-D.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default Safety using electric vesus engine powered winches

I use an electric windlass with a foot switch which allows me to stop it quickly if the line tangles or something goes wrong. I had a 3.5 Hp Briggs & Stratton coupled to a gear reduction windlass on a previous boat. Very fast retrieve (based on how fast you run the engine) but sometimes the line would wrap around itself (get the fingers out of the way and let it bind up!) and die. I am not sure what safety features the Honda winches have but the scenario I presented is something to consider. If going with the electric, compare retrieval speed and load, I know some folks with electric windlass that are slow and take forever to pull up pots. Like potbuilder stated, the davit must also be able to handle the load. I have deadheaded mine due to stuck pots on the bottom and have also pulled in large halibut/deer.

Default Can't say enough,

about those E-dyne pullers. I can easily lift and swing 500lb with mine, how much more would you want from this type of set up? There are a LOT of boats going out in the sound that would roll if you put that kind of weight out on a davit. The previous poster mentioned the safety of electric versus gas and I totally agree, besides you cant hear mine run! However,I know exactly where the gas guys are operating.

It's going to all come down to preference, budget and boat configuration as some of you dont have much donatable room. That E-dyne unit weighs 65 lbs and still was my choice when all things were factored in.
    1. It cost the same as the other top enders.
    2. In my case it was more adaptable and therefore easier to mount in a conservative manner.
    3. It will out pull and faster, all other electrics!

Steve already mentioned the gun show, stop in and look at what he's got, then go home and kick er into the think mode. Hurry up though, you can be Shrimping in a few weeks!
    Mike

Default I hear ya...

I will add this info...

This afternoon I talked with two local businesses. Both sell something other than the E-dyne pullers. Before I was done talking to them they each made recommendations that steered me towards the E-dyne.

Before Potbuilder replied informing me that he was the local Alaska contact I had emailed and called the E-dyne company to ask about Alaska retailers. They returned my call this afternoon. If I remember correctly his name was John. I had a great conversation. Very informative.

Potbuilder I'll be PM'ing you. I'm sold!

Quote Originally Posted by rhorn View Post
    I use an electric windlass with a foot switch which allows me to stop it quickly if the line tangles or something goes wrong. I had a 3.5 Hp Briggs & Stratton coupled to a gear reduction windlass on a previous boat. Very fast retrieve (based on how fast you run the engine) but sometimes the line would wrap around itself (get the fingers out of the way and let it bind up!) and die. I am not sure what safety features the Honda winches have but the scenario I presented is something to consider. If going with the electric, compare retrieval speed and load, I know some folks with electric windlass that are slow and take forever to pull up pots. Like potbuilder stated, the davit must also be able to handle the load. I have deadheaded mine due to stuck pots on the bottom and have also pulled in large halibut/deer.
    rhorn,
    That wrap around the windlass head(i have a different name for it ) that you spoke of is called a "riding turn" in the lobstah' biz and they happen because the rope going on to the head is not fairled onto the head correctly and thats what makes using that type of hauler so dangerious, you can't take your eyes off of it for a second. When i first started lobstering i had a 8hp briggs w/a 15 to 1 reduction and a 10" winch head all driven by a #50 chain, good thing it had a clutch built on to it cause when you got a riding turn on that rig and things started fetching up stuff just broke or bent. One thing i don't see on any of the smaller gas rigs are clutches and/or even talk of remote mounted kill switches which could save somebody from seriously getting hurt if a piece of clothing or hand/finger got caught in the rope. I even worried about my hair (when i had some!!) getting caught up in those which heads back when i lobstered.
    One last thing about those small whinch heads, i think them being so small in diameter puts a twist into your rope if you don't keep a eye on whats going on.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I will add this info...

This afternoon I talked with two local businesses. Both sell something other than the E-dyne pullers. Before I was done talking to them they each made recommendations that steered me towards the E-dyne.

Before Potbuilder replied informing me that he was the local Alaska contact I had emailed and called the E-dyne company to ask about Alaska retailers. They returned my call this afternoon. If I remember correctly his name was John. I had a great conversation. Very informative.

Potbuilder I'll be PM'ing you. I'm sold!
    The gent you spoke with name is Larry and he builds the units.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Default Larry!

Right you are... I'm bad with names...

rhorn,
    That wrap around the windlass head(i have a different name for it ) that you spoke of is called a "riding turn" in the lobstah' biz and they happen because the rope going on to the head is not fairled onto the head correctly and thats what makes using that type of hauler so dangerious, you can't take your eyes off of it for a second. When i first started lobstering i had a 8hp briggs w/a 15 to 1 reduction and a 10" winch head all driven by a #50 chain, good thing it had a clutch built on to it cause when you got a riding turn on that rig and things started fetching up stuff just broke or bent. One thing i don't see on any of the smaller gas rigs are clutches and/or even talk of remote mounted kill switches which could save somebody from seriously getting hurt if a piece of clothing or hand/finger got caught in the rope. I even worried about my hair (when i had some!!) getting caught up in those which heads back when i lobstered.
    One last thing about those small whinch heads, i think them being so small in diameter puts a twist into your rope if you don't keep a eye on whats going on.
    Potbuilder, thanks for the terminology education. I learn something new all the time and have a long way to go. It was a 2 person show to make the engine puller work, I really liked it but had utmost respect for it. 1 hand with clip and line attached to pulling line to guide it onto the windlass head and the other on the throttle/shutoff with the other person pulling/coiling the line. Even then things would go foul and everyone scattered. Fortunately nobody lost fingers/hands or got any loose clothing caught up in the mess. Your lobstah puller sounds like a real monster that could be devastating if you got caught up. Gives you a great appreciation and respect for moving parts/lines and the devastation they could inflict. Couldn't imagine getting my hair caught!!!

Potbuilder, you still have plenty of hair that could get caught - it's just at the bottom of your head . If I'm feeling better this weekend, I'm gonna try and get out to that gun show and see you. Yeah - I'll have my checkbook with me .

Dave

Default No to pot pullers

please read PWS shrimping in trouble
    there you will find out that comfish is trying to stop ALL us of All types of pot pullers Please read and send your thought to the address on the sight

Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    Potbuilder, you still have plenty of hair that could get caught - it's just at the bottom of your head . If I'm feeling better this weekend, I'm gonna try and get out to that gun show and see you. Yeah - I'll have my checkbook with me .

Dave
    Dave
    Hope your feeling better and looking forward to meeting you (even if you forget your checkbook).

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692