Thread: Youth Rifle question/idea

Default Youth Rifle question/idea

Planning to get my son his first big game rifle. He is currently 8. Looked at some Remington Model 7s today and some other rifles on-line (Savage, Kimber, Browning, etc.). I remember seeing a rifle a few years ago that came with 2 stocks. One a youth stock and the other an adult stock. Was wondering if anyone knew which rifle this was. Also, how about the idea of buying a normal sized light weight rifle and putting a youth stock on it? I assume there are some after market stocks that would work. Planning on getting him a 7mm-08.

Anyway, let me know if someone has some insight here.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Western View Post
    I remember seeing a rifle a few years ago that came with 2 stocks. One a youth stock and the other an adult stock. Was wondering if anyone knew which rifle this was. Thanks
    I believe I heard someone just the other day say that was Savage, but could be wrong.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

The rifle with both stocks is the HOWA 2 N 1 has youth and adult stock

Weatherby produces a "Youth Carbine" Vanguard.

Comes with a full size synthetic and a smaller scale youth wood stock with a black finish. Barrel is 20".

I believe 7mm-08 is one of the available calibers among several.

Here is a nice little rifle in a 7mm-08

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...17111&return=Y

Just checked and the one with 2 stocks is the Howa. I have no experience with Howas other than reading a few magazine articles and one had some bad things to say about the trigger. Something like pulling your finger thru a bowl of cold oatmeal comes to mind. The Vanguard looks like a nice rifle. Thanks for the additional ideas and keep them coming.

Default Another great kid rifle..

is the Ruger M77 youth. Available in a bunch of calibers. The stock is even shorter and the gun has a smaller grip than the ruger the guy before me recommended (sorry, forgot who that was!). If you son is 8, he won't want a heavier longer rifle for awhile. I got my son's 5 years ago when he was 12, and he's 17 now and still carries it, although he likes my 30-06 too. The barrel is 16 1/2 ", but this gun, at least the one we have, is a tack-driver. I shot a buck at 465 yards with it, one shot. Ours is a .243 winchester caliber. We shoot Hornady light mags with interbond bullets, I would us it for anything in AK except for brown bears. My son shot a nice black bear and a 4 pt. buck with his when he was 12, 1 shot each about 150 yards.

I think you could put a regular ruger M77 stock on this later, but why would you want to? He can still shoot it when he is bigger and will like the light weight. I don't know if you can get this in synthetic, ours is walnut and blued. Been hunting in the rain a bunch though, just need to take care of it.

Good luck !!

My dad bought me a ruger M77 at a gun show. A few tables down He found a beat up old stock for it. He bought that too.

We went home, he cut down the beat up stock. When I outgrew that, we put the original stock back on.

Just an option to look at.

Several years ago while hunting I meet someone with a rifle with several spacers under the recoil pad. He informed me that his dad gave him the rifle at age 9 and they cut off several inches. As he grew they used dowels and glue to attach portions of the cut piece. The rifle had clearly been knocked around some with many dents in the stock, but each was clearly a memory for him and I do not think he would have parted with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    is the Ruger M77 youth. The stock is even shorter and the gun has a smaller grip than the ruger the guy before me recommended (sorry, forgot who that was!). .. think you could put a regular ruger M77 stock on this later, but why would you want to? He can still shoot it when he is bigger and will like the light weight.

Ron,
    Good point! It is a lot easier to shoot a rifle with a stock too short than to shoot one too long! I used to remove the stock spacers on my Steyr for late season deer down South because I would have a heavy coat on. After a while I just quit putting them back in. Never had any issues even in a T-shirt.

My son at 7 has trouble with barrel heavy rifles so the 16.5" barrel might be a better option.

On the Vanguard/ Howa note- they're essentially the same rifle manufactured by Howa under contract to Weatherby.