Thread: Bobtail Kimber

Default Bobtail Kimber

Anybody know if there is somebody in Alaska capable of bobtailing a Kimber aluminum grip frame? Checked with Wild West Guns but they told me it wasn't possible. I have seen them done by outside smiths.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Maybe Tim Thompson, but I'm not sure if he is still in the state or doing work.

Who told you WWG wont bobtail an aluminum frame?

Tim Thompson is in Mississippi

Default WWG

The guy at the counter at WWG in Anchorage.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Which one? There are three of us

Default ???

I don't know. He was a thin guy in his late 40's maybe early 50's, acted like I was a bother and he was trying to make a diamond out of a piece of coal between his cheeks(not the ones on his face) :-) Said the aluminum frames were anodized and you couldn't refinish them. I thought Kimber aluminum frames were coated in something like duracoat, but he said no. Removing the finish would leave huge pits in the aluminum.

OK...the short answer is yes we can bobtail one, but you will have to have the frame reanodized.....that gets spendy and generally looks like yuck, unless you Teflon over it

Really not that big a deal. You won't leave "pits" in the aluminum, just bare aluminum where material has been removed. If the person doing the work is careful, and does a tidy job, that will be minimal. The exposed bare metal does not have to be anodized. AL won't "rust", but will over time oxidize and become dull. If this is going to be a gun carried in a holster for daily wear, it will over time have many blemishes from being carried. No need to spend money on refinishing until the whole gun is ugly from extended carrying. Just some fact. Choose your smith carefully, the attitude you get over the counter will reflect your happiness with the work when its done. If the counter person pisses you off, the work will piss you off also.

The exposed bare metal does not have to be anodized.
    It does it you want it to last.