Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1909 argentine mauser

Default 1909 argentine mauser

i have this sporterized 1909 argentine mauser. i believe the bore to be .311, but it is chambered for 30-06, which is .308. i guess it is something sears did back in the day. anyways, i have read that the 1909 action is one of the best there is to base a gun off of. so my question is, if you had this action, what would you do with it?

Default Excellenjt gun

The 1909 Argentine was an excellent Model 98. Heat treating was right on. Fit and finish was very representative of the best ones. I had a .257 Roberts AI based on one. Had an actual John Buhmiller barrel and it shot incredibly well. It would be worth rebarreling to whatever caliber you want. Some might suggest just using .311 bullets and necking up the case to hold them, but variety of bullets in that caliber is pretty slim.

If it were me I would build either a 338-06, 35whelen, 416 taylor or a 458AR. A good strong action deserves a good strong round.

next up would be a 25-06. those quarter bores are fun.

Nice pickup

9.3x62 goes with the M98 like peaches & cream, just a thought.

Default They're Nice Actions!

For a long time, when there was a LOT of activity 'sporterizing' military surplus arms, the '09 Argentine was THE choice. They were relatively plentiful, strong, smooth, and matching number guns brought a premium.
    My first .35 Whelen was built on one, as a matter of fact.
    They seem to be getting scarcer these days, and finding one in really good shape at areasonable price are still a 'bonus'.
    You could build just about anything your heart desires, as long as it'll fit the magazine, the shorter rounds based off the .308 don't seem to work really well, nor the magnums unless you include work on the rails and magazine.
    Why not treat the thing to a quality .30 caliber barrel and leave it an '06?
    These days, you have to include the cost of alterations and materials, and to be honest, you can buy a quality commercial barreled action for much less than the cost of building up ANY military surplus bolt gun. It has to be a labor of love, or need, or something that you want a LOT!
    Whatever you decide, have fun, and enjoy!

Default 1909

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Gibbs View Post
    i have this sporterized 1909 argentine mauser. i believe the bore to be .311, but it is chambered for 30-06, which is .308. i guess it is something sears did back in the day. anyways, i have read that the 1909 action is one of the best there is to base a gun off of. so my question is, if you had this action, what would you do with it?
    1909 Argentines were 7.62x53 in caliber. The action and barrel will have the same serial number if it still has an original barrell (the bolt should match as well). In the 60's running a reamer into the chamber of an Argentine so it would shoot 30-06 was common. Some of these shot pretty well if the original bore was good (ARGs shot a lot of corrosive ammo). Sad part is the 7.63 Arg was a very good round in itself.
    There were 2 types of 1909 Argentine actions; 1 was a DWM german made action of high quality fit and finish, the other was an Argentine made action under license of mauser(by FMAP) some of these had less than desireable heat treating and need to be reheat treated, but were the same basic action.
    These rifles have been desireable as action donors for custom rifles as they have the milled floorplate which opens from the factory.

The1909 is a long action large ring mauser and can be converted to lot of modern calibers. This rifle can be rebarreled to just about any caliber that uses a .478 bolt face without any modification to the feed rails; and if you wish to open the face it could be made a magnum caliber which could require some feed rail mods.
    Consider a HAWK caliber if you wish to reload, consider a 30-06, 338-06, 8mm Mauser, 35 Whelen, 9.3x62 if you don't reload.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

7.65X53 Argentine

.311 bore

The rechambered rifles to 3006 retained the .311 bore

I had one in the 70's , just loaded 311 bullets into the 3006 case, shot fine, with iron sights.

I have a T99 Arisaka rechambered to 308, same scenario, shoots fines as well, with 311/312 bullets.

What would I do with it? keep it, shoot it as is!

Enjoy!

The Original was Chambered for 7.65X54R yes they are excellent shooters, what will it be worth today ? in excellent condition, no rust. sporterized, chambered in 30/06 with a 3X9X40 simmons Scope almost new.
    Stock has some dings,I have pics.

Default Not really

No disrespect, but the original round was the 7.65X53 Argentine round. The 7.62X54R (rimmed) was the propietary cartridge in the Moisin Ngagant Russian military rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by mauserboy View Post
    No disrespect, but the original round was the 7.65X53 Argentine round. The 7.62X54R (rimmed) was the propietary cartridge in the Moisin Ngagant Russian military rifle.
    Yup it would have been 7.65X53 Argentine, a very good round just hard to find anyplace other than South America.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Gibbs View Post
    Here's what I did with one. 35 Whelen hoping to have it stocked in the next year or two:

I have another 1909 with metal by Tom Burgess chambered in 30-06. Less elaborate metalwork, but great stock by Dennis Erhardt and engraving by Jerome Glimm. Killed a moose in 2007 with it.

Default Wow

Nice set-up. Did they build up the rear bridge then mill it and file it down to final shape? A lot of work there.

Yes you are Correct I had in mind the Moisin Which I also have.
    Thanks.

Nice set-up. Did they build up the rear bridge then mill it and file it down to final shape? A lot of work there.
    Thanks. A block of steel was fit to rear bridge to fill the stripper clip slot and provide a scope and rear sight base. The block was welded in place and then filed down to a pleasing shape. The rear Talley ring had to have it's mounting area narrowed to fit in the rear square bridge with the back up iron sight. The front scope base is custom made, but only bolted on rather than welded. The rear tang was also cut off and replaced with a shorter version that has a blind screw hole. About the only additional metal work that could have been done would be a barrel with integral fittings and extended receiver tangs! The action was heat treated by Pacific Metallurgy using the "Tom Burgess method". I suggest that this practice is mandatory for any military Mauser action that will be used for a high pressure cartridge.

Default A little soft

The actions tend to be little soft and "sticky to operate" compared to say a late hard Springfield. Having them hardened will slick them up and make them more suitable for high pressure rounds. The 7.65 x 53 was a rather low pressure round as it was also used in the M91 Mausers although it can be loaded to .308 / .30-06 performance levels since it is basicaly the same case.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    ! The action was heat treated by Pacific Metallurgy using the "Tom Burgess method". I suggest that this practice is mandatory for any military Mauser action that will be used for a high pressure cartridge.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

had my 1909 arg. carburized by pacmet then off to Satterlee Arms....Stuart did a nice job building it in the 9,3x64 Brenneke. will post a pic as soon as some one can do it for me or .... I learn how to.....a caliber quite similar to the .375HH but without the belt. Have yet to break-in the bbl....maybe tomorrow with some Oryx 285's.....

A nice little action....would like to get another soon.

Quote Originally Posted by grizz106 View Post
    had my 1909 arg. carburized by pacmet then off to Satterlee Arms....Stuart did a nice job building it in the 9,3x64 Brenneke. will post a pic as soon as some one can do it for me or .... I learn how to.....a caliber quite similar to the .375HH but without the belt. Have yet to break-in the bbl....maybe tomorrow with some Oryx 285's.....

Go to Forum Tips here and the top sticky is on posting pix.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I'm just a common'r with a digital camera....hope this is a decent pic

thanks for the pointer on the "sticky"
    Attached Images Attached Images

in the white....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by grizz106 View Post

Satterlee does nice work. Great cartridge for Alaska.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast