Thread: A hunt planner?

Default A hunt planner?

Alright well i have to say that i tried to contact the folks over at Pristine ventures to see if i could get a hunt together for later on this year. I e-mailed them and e-mailed them a second time without any word back at all. Is there another place that provides that kind of service for drop off unguided/ non-outfitted hunts or drop float hunts. I am looking to hunt either caribou/bear or moose. I have already had sucess with moose hunting last year, so i could either try for a respectable sized moose (first one was a fork) or caribou. I have heard a few mentions about Mike strahan (think i spelled that right) and was wondering what experience you have had using him or if there are any other options out there. This is only my thrid year up here and i have limited experience with hunting beyond the anchorage- petersville arae, so thats why i am wanting to use this kind of service. Thanks for any inputs you all give on this.

David

David - I haven't used Mike's services, but there are many on here that have. From what I've read, the reports have been all positive. I will say that I know Mike as a friend and that he's a man of integrity and will not steer you wrong. I wouldn't hesitate to send someone his way. You can check out his website for a look at what you can expect.

Default Another option

You could contact "Homerdave" on this forum.
    He does high success drop hunts for Black Bear out of Homer. Good luck with your plans and have a safe hunt.

Default Mike Strahan is the Man

David,

I have not used Mike's services, but I have hunted with him in a few far flung places, and I have helped him support some of his customers. As for my personal experience, he is great guy to have along, and a fellow who leaves nothing to chance. As for his customer's that I have helped support, they had nothing but praise for Mike (I asked). You will not go wrong in asking Mike to help you.

Tracey Harmon
    Alaska Raft and Kayak

Quote Originally Posted by MDwhatley View Post
    Alright well i have to say that i tried to contact the folks over at Pristine ventures to see if i could get a hunt together for later on this year. I e-mailed them and e-mailed them a second time without any word back at all...

David
    I hear Larry at Pristine Ventures has been out of state for the last few months. I believe he just returned. You might try them again. You might also try posting a pm at the Pristine Ventures site.

Default patience grasshopper

I'll second what PatrickH reported. I, too, believe Larry was out of state for a little while. PV has also been undergoing some phone line changes with irregular contact for a week or two, maybe? I would not give up on Larry/PV. My communication with him has always been timely and satisfying. I would surmise your experience is an aberation of unusual circumstance.

Default Strahan the way to go

Mike is THE way to go... I have used him frequently as a source of hunt planning work. He is terrific and will not steer you wrong.

Greg

Default used both

I can say that I have used both and I can tell you that you would be better off going with mike!!!

Mike was in this months issue of Outdoor Life. It was a float trip for grizzly and caribou. His hunt planning service, "Lost Creek", was mentioned in the article. Tracey of Alaska Raft and Kayak was mentioned as well. Be sure to get Mike's book "Float Hunting Alaska". Available on the forum store I believe, but also at his website below. Great book with tons of info.

http://www.alaskafloathunting.net/
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.