Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Flight from Kotz to Anch. seating availability

  1. #1

    Default Flight from Kotz to Anch. seating availability

    In mid September, how full is the flight from Kotz to anchorage usually? I'm asking so I know if it is feasable to book the flight for a few days later than we want to realy return so if we are weather delayed we won't have a problem.
    Any info here will be deeply appreciated.
    Bruce

  2. #2
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,061

    Default

    Where's Mike Strahan when you need him???????????
    Busy time for Alaska Air. Any travel on a day other than what your res is for will be difficult. Your idea is sound tho. It would be better to book a couple days later and hope to get a standby seat if you end up wanting to leave early.
    Frontier Flying Service has flights from Fbks to Kotz. You don't have to go thru security to board their plane and the flight often has empty seats. You can travel Frontier from Anch to Fbks also.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    196

    Default Kotz to Anch

    We had first hand experience with this problem last month. We ended up getting stuck in the field three extra days due to weather between us and Kotz. When we got back to town (Saturday afternoon), got our meat taken care of and gear stashed we headed to the airport to see when we could get out. Next flight out that we could get on was Tuesday! Didn't help that we had flown up on flyer mile tickets. We really didn't want to spend another three days in Kotz so we looked into buying a ticket. Earliest we could have gotten out was Monday afternoon. Really wasn't worth spending an extra $300/person just to leave half a day earlier (already $50 to change our reservation). We had a friend up there to stay with so it really wasn't a big deal...just a pain to get home a week late.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    162

    Default

    Dito on the flights, left Kotz to Anchorage and there were many looking for standby seats, some offering money to take seats. We talked to a guy looking for a seat and he actually got one on that day, I don't know how but one came open. It is a gamble, hotels aren't cheap but if your transporter will let you, you might be able to pitch a tent for those days.

    Side note: just saw on Pristine message boards that deboning isn't being allowed out of Kotz so you won't have to rush and do that to ship your meat back.

  5. #5
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,061

    Default

    Along with my previous info............I'll repeat what I've said before. I would look into flying out of Bettles.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  6. #6
    Member Adventures's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla, AK
    Posts
    278

    Default lodge rates

    don't they have some kind of lodge rates set up for Kotz so you can have an open ended ticket? Seems only fair to the hunters. the hunt i went on cost me nothing extra and I was 1.5 days later than expected.

    Bruce,
    Ya didn't get out this year huh? Well, good luck next year if you get something together. We want to ehar the stories good or bad.
    Justin
    Justin

  7. #7
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Milford, PA
    Posts
    29

    Default

    The problem is the flight from OTZ to ANC also stops in Nome. So you have to compete with people in OTZ and Nome for a seat to ANC.

  8. #8

    Default changing flights

    If I book the return flight for 3 days later than planned and we get out on time then I have to try to change to an earlier flight. If I book the flight for when we want to leave and we are delayed then I have to use the sat phone to change to a later flight. Which way is safer?
    Thanks
    Bruce

  9. #9
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Milford, PA
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    If I book the return flight for 3 days later than planned and we get out on time then I have to try to change to an earlier flight. If I book the flight for when we want to leave and we are delayed then I have to use the sat phone to change to a later flight. Which way is safer?
    Thanks
    Bruce
    I think that is a personal preference as to where you like to take your risks. Personally, I prefer the sure thing so I always book a flight a few days after I am expected out of the field then fly stand-by on the way out. In three years, I have been lucky enough to leave same day I got back from the bush and have also had to wait until the next day to get a flight out.

  10. #10
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,061

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Which way is safer?
    Thanks
    Bruce
    Neither! Each has the same risk.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  11. #11

    Default Lodge rates???

    What do you mean by Lodge Rates??
    Bruce

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Bruce - last September, (2005) it was packed. We got stuck on our caribou hunt and missed our flights. It took four days to get out of Kotz. We were supposed to fly out of Kotz on Saturday, but were weathered in the bush until Sunday. We immediately went to the airport and could not get a seat until Wednesday night's flight at the earliest. We spent every day at the airport, three times a day, trying to fly standby. No chance. This was in the mid-September time period.

  13. #13

    Default Always leave a few days

    Quote Originally Posted by [LEFT
    BruceB[/left];31732]In mid September, how full is the flight from
    Kotz
    to anchorage usually? I'm asking so I know if it is
    feasable
    to book the flight for a few days later than we want to
    realy
    return so if we are weather delayed we won't have a problem.
    Any info here will be deeply appreciated.
    Bruce


    Always leave at least a day on either side of your trip, it will make your hunt and life a lot easier. Things to consider: You get into Kotzebue late on let's say Friday evening, you are scheduled to go into the field that Saturday morning. And you need to either pick up something at the post office, or NAC, or the groceries store, ie propane, white gas and now everything is closed. The next day's schedule can be a tight one and there's a lineup of groups to be taken into the field, and you don't have your stuff together and your scrambling around trying to get everything all together, get weighed in, and ready to fly out. The transporters do not like to be kept waiting and will boot you down the line, which means you could be bumped an extra day if the weather is bad out in the field. The golden rule is, you wait on the transporters, not the transporters waiting on you. That said.

    On your return from the field, you will need a least a day to get back into Kotz, take care of your meat, donate it, de-bone it, package it up. Now you will also have to take proper care of the horns and have them shipped which will mean at the very least a few to several hours. You will have to get the proper box, wrap each antler tip in hose, or cardboard, clean the skull cap, wrap the skull so nothing will leak, and tape everything up, and then wait in line at NAC or Alaska Air forever. That doesn't even taken into account the fair possibility of your group getting weathered in a day or two.


    You always take a gamble hunting above the arctic circle, you may even plan correctly and still get screwed.


    By the way if anyone needs numbers to hotels, rooms, NAC, and other such places email me and I might just give them to you. There's a little bed and breakfast type of place that is great to know of in a pinch. I've seen the Bayside and Nullavik get completely booked before.
    Marc Theiler

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •