Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on .308

Question Thoughts on .308

I know, another "perfect rifle" thread. I've been trying to hunt down the perfect rifle to fit my liking and my needs and I am looking really hard at getting a .308, hopefully equipped within a Kimber Montana. And so I have some questions.

Here are my thoughts and reasoning for the caliber.
    1. Accurate within a distant range.
    2. Versitile (thinking sheep, goat, caribou, blacktail, whitetail, black bear??, moose??, etc.)
    3. Easy on the shoulder (not a big guy and not that I can't handle a larger caliber (I have a few), I just like the confidence factor added in and for me, that's a plus).

Here are my questions.
    1. What does decent factory ammo cost? (All ammo is expensive in Homer).
    2. Am I reasonable in my thinking on the above?
    3. Have you ever heard of any issues in regards to the Kimber Montana?

Thanks! Any thoughts, options, opinions, criticisms, etc. are invited!

I love the 308 and have taken many deer in the lower 48 with it. As for range it did fine with the peep sight M-14 out to five hunder yards. Never had a fancy 308 but had a Ruger RSI and Browning BLR both wonderfull well shooting guns and I gave them to two very good friends as all around guns with proper ammo.The 165 grain is a good weight but if you handload you can go to 200 and some 220 grain bullets for that special bear hunt

Kimbers are very nice, built with good components.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/84m/84m_montana/36/

The .308 is very accurate. Shot placement goes a long way in hunting. A .308 wouldn't be my first choice against a charging bear but will penetrate vitals when shot correctly.

The comment about loading up to 220 grain is a bit out there. Most production .308's are 1:12 twist, There are a few 1:11.25 custom builds and a few 1:10 production models. Only the 1:10 twist will properly stabilize a hunting bullet over 180gr in my opinion. The Kimber in question is a 1:12 twist and would shoot up to 168gr very well.

There are several good hunting bullets in that weight. Barnes tipped TSX and MRX are a couple that will retain their weight and penetrate deep.

Murphy has extensive data on the .308, hopefully this post will appeal to him and he can shed some light on it.

An unstabilized bullet will not consistantly penetrate without some deflection at impact.

Thumbs up Accurate

As "akbone" would say the .308 is an inherently accurate rifle. It's versatile I would take it for deer, black bear, moose, wolves, sheep, etc. and as far as range and accuracy it is very accurate out several hundred yards. Kimber makes a really nice rifle, I personally do not own one but have several friends that do own and I have never heard anything negative about them.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." John Wayne

Thumbs up Love that .308

If I had to pick one rifle round it would be .308 for me. Almost the power of 30-06 and a flat out famous for hitting what itís aimed at. In fact I hunt with .308 more than any of the numerous calibers I have to pick from.

Your questions.
    1. What does decent factory ammo cost?
    Good .308 should be about the best value you will get for your money as it is one of the most popular rounds used. Ammo for .308 should be a stock item at any store selling ammo, if a shop only stocks 5 calibers .308 is likely one of them.

2. Am I reasonable in my thinking on the above?

Yes, I think so.
    A> It is a very accurate round, one of the most accurate ever produced even.
    B> I have taken coyote, fox, hog, javelina, mule deer, elk, moose and more with a 308. I have been told by many that itís too small for elk and moose, but I have found it dose as good a job as I could hope for from any 30 caliber out there. The same naysayers usually talk up the 30-06 and ignore that despite a shorter brass the .308 is in the same power range as the 06. Unless one is hand loading where a bit more can be squeezed from the 30-06 than the 308 but still not a great amount.
    C> Recoil is not bad from a .308 like a 300WM and others but it is there. I would advise a semi auto action if you want to avoid recoil and enjoy shooting more without packing a heavy rifle around. AR-10s have a very good reputation as a tack driver 308 and after shooting one last summer I have wanted one. If you like the sporting rifle look maybe a BAR or Winchester model 100 would be your thing, I have both in 308 and find them good guns. My favorite rifle is a Winchester model 88 lever action in .308 and somewhat hard to find but I have loved it since 1982.

3. Have you ever heard of any issues in regards to the Kimber Montana?

Have no experience with them but Kimber is a very good maker and highly regarded by all I have talked to. I have a Kimber 1911 and it is everything I was told it was.

308 is a very good pick and I feel as long as you do your part it will never let you down! There are other very good rounds also so in the end it comes down to what you want and like, for your own reasons, is what you need to get.

Andy

I've used the .308 in the Kimber rifle for several years. I'd purchase one again without hesitation. The .308 with a high quality 165gr bullet makes an excellent combination for most critters. Mine shoots 180gr acceptably but I wouldn't try anything heavier. It drives tacks with heavy loaded 165gr. Interbonds. It will also shoot 150gr ammo very well. Ammo price varies widely but is generally reasonable compared to other calibers ( all ammo is relatively high these days..)

You can find about any flavor of .308 factory ammo you'd ever care to shoot.

The Montana in .308 with a compact light scope makes an excellent mountain or all around hunting rifle.

I've been using a .308 Savage since I was 15. I've taken down moose, caribou, deer and antelope. It shoots straight and doesn't destroy met like larger caliber rifles. What else is there? I haven't tried taking down a brown bear with it, but at the same time I don't plan to, I've got bigger guns for that.

Default One of my Favorite Calibers....

I really like the 308 Winchester. It is one of the most versatile of all hunting calibers with a broad range of capabilities for everything from mice to moose. From prairie dogs to pronghorns. From Gazelles to Gemsbok. From elk to elephan...OK maybe not but you get the idea.

It has the potential, in a good rifle, to give more than adequate accuracy for every task where extreme long range accuracy is needed such as for doggin' or for sheep hunts on high windy mountain peaks. It also can be efficiently loaded with bullets from 125 grains to 180 grains. It is ideally suited power wise to that large group of big game that includes whitetail deer, coues deer, mule deer and blacktail. Also sheep , goats caribou, pronghorn and elk, though I would not select it as a moose or elk caliber but it will certainly work with good bullets and well placed shots.

I can't help with ammo prices but ammo is available everywhere and in great variety with everything for plinking and practice as well as premium hunting ammo.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

The .308Win, is effieicent, accurate, versatile and is an outstanding cartridge that is easy on the shoulder and competes right up there with the 30-06 for the best all around cartridge. DID I SAY THAT?????? Yep, I sure did and I don't drink. My first rifle that shot under 3/8" was a Sako 308 in 1973 with factory ammo. I would like one now in a Ruger Hawkeye to compliment my 358Win.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

A budget minded alternative to the Kimber: http://www.remington.com/products/fi...n_SS_guide.asp

I sure like mine... Less than 7lbs with a 3x9 on it...

Thumbs up a good one....

A very good round that fits into easy packing rifles. With todays powders and bullets in 150 to 180 grains it is as good as the 30-06 was 20 years ago. How many critters, big and small, fell to the old 30-06?

Default Heading down the right track it seems.

Well, it sounds like I could be heading down the right track on this one.

I think you guys know that I am not a firearms expert by any means, don't even pretend to know much. I regard guns as a tool and little more, although I am a sucker for beautiful arms, Stevens single .410 that I grew up on, among others. You've answered a lot of my questions already.

I had never known much about the .308 until the past year or two. In my search for finding ONE decent lightweight rifle, this is what I find suits me well. This is a ridiculous question for which I already know the answer (shoot one), but how is the recoil compared to a 30.06? 7mm mag? Haven't shot one and don't know anyone around here that has one so have no idea.

My thought is that the .308 would be carried for any game beyond black bear. I can choose from .06 up from there. I think you have answered this for me already and I thank you; any other thoughts are welcome.

In regards to the Kimber; I am aware that it is a fantastic rifle. My question was more geared towards function issues than anything. I know there were a few hiccup rounds, just not sure if this was one of them.

Thanks again!
    Joshua

Default One more question...

Assuming I select the .308; what size scope would you recommend?

Would like to keep the weight down as much as possible, but still functional. 3x9ish?

Always have used Leupolds, but open to any make of equal or better quality (near the same price range though).

Thanks!

Leupold VXII 2X7 will work great. Here is a nice gun
    http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIte...Item=123439013

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Leupold VXII 2X7 will work great.
    Yup or even a VX-III 2.5-8x36, both will keep that Kimber Montana that your gonna get (grin) well under 6lbs all up. Oh and I'll go ahead and tell you right now, spend the $40 and order some size Low Talley Lightweights from Midway USA!

Default Thanks Cub!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Yup or even a VX-III 2.5-8x36, both will keep that Kimber Montana that your gonna get (grin) well under 6lbs all up. Oh and I'll go ahead and tell you right now, spend the $40 and order some size Low Talley Lightweights from Midway USA!
    Glad you chimed in Roland!
    You know, that story about you hunting on Kodiak last year was my deciding factor on rethinking my "caliber" choice. I was goin got go with ONE ALL AROUND round. Reality check came in and said to myself that I was not going to carry a minimum of a .338 up the hill! Hence, the idea of ONE lightweight rifle and ONE puckerific rifle! Still set on that Kimber, don't think I have ever shouldered a rifle that felt quite that good!

Check...on the scope that is, I've got a 40mil that is just a little more than I want to stack on so I'm going to look for a smaller one. I'm getting excited!

Recoil compared to a 30-06? Well in the same action type and same weight gun itís the same. Only makes since as they are pushing the same bullet at the same speeds . . . likely to kick the same. Now because a 308 is usually built in a shorter action than the 30-06 is the 308s run a bit to the lighter side than the 06 so can buck a bit more due to that. Like I said in my other post if you donít like recoil you need to look into semi-auto actions. The 308 has the advantage that it can be found in many semi-autos.

This one is just like the one my wife hunts with and it will shoot with the best of the bolt actions.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=123051830

So will an AR-10 and they are very light! Just not the sporting rifle looks, but they have their own beauty.

Andy

Default .308

The .308 is a great round--inherently accurate,far reaching,hard hitting.I've hunted with both the .308 and 30-06, and I don't believe any animal would know the difference if shot with one or the other. I'm not recoil sensitive ,and I don't really notice much difference when firing (the same brand and type of rifle) .308 or 30-06. One of my brothers,on the other hand,claims he feels noticably less recoil from the .308--and I have no reason not to believe him. I DO notice less report (muzzle blast/noise) from the .308 (same barrel length)....not really sure why,as the velocities are so similar. I prefer heavier bullets--and I would stick with 180 grains,at least for bear or moose. I love 'em both--but if I were to have only one,make mine .308. I'm not sure about the weight of the Kimber you refered to....just keep in mind,the lighter the gun the more recoil.

Default 308 Norma Mag

If anyone is interested, my dad has one for sale. PM me and I'll forward your info to him.

as you know the .308 will easily match factory 30-06 ballistics, and so is ideal for most of the game i hunt.
    i currently own 2 kimber .308's, a longmaster classic fitted with a 6X m8 leupold, and quality brownell sling. this is a solid 1/2" 5shot group rifle. i have taken some deer with this rifle and it works great with almost any load. my favorite load is 150gr cor-loct over 48gr imr 4064. this generates velocities at about 2900fps, and is a great stopper. none of the last 5 deer shot traveled 30ft.

i just recieved a new montana and am going to work on it. just the usual...lap the lugs and race, trigger adjustment, and torque stock to find the "sweet spot".

my plan is to mount a fixed 4X leupold, and sight in for 200yds. that, with a 165gr bullet should work on most of the things i like to hunt. the scope is in keeping with the overall lightweight package. a large variable is not needed, and (to my way of thinking) changes the dynamics of this fine rifle.

i will keep notes and publish the results as they develop.

happy trails.
    jh
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast