Thread: Best Rangfinder

Default Best Rangfinder

Never owned one ....dont know anything about them. Stepped up to a 375 H&H, 1895 marlin guide gun for the camp.....tossing alot of lead and really need to know how far away the critter is. Im working up range cards to keep with my dialed in reloads for precise bullet placement and NO guess work. I may even get a little crazy and have some custom elevation turrets put on my scopes (dial a distance). I want a quality range finder @ a good price...is there such a thing? At the moment 90 percent of my glass is Leupold. I would love to break that mold and buy Leica but a little $$$$$. Someone told me Nikon make a good range finder for the money. Got to be Alaska proof
    In the Bush

Do a lot of research on this... there are a lot of variables when it comes to range finders. Reflectivity of target, sun light, beam width, etc...

How far do you want to range? With a 375 H&H, I'm guessing not much farther than 500 yds. So you don't necessarily need the longer range models... however, the cheaper models may fail you in less than ideal conditions. One other thing about rangefinders, one of the same make and model will be better or worse than the next of same make and model.

Swaro has the best rep @ about $999, the Leica 1200 CRF next @ $699, then the Leica 900. The Nikon 1200 (which I have used) doesn't work well in early evening light. In the best conditions it ranged betwen 800 and 900 yds.

Hope this helps...

Default homework

I guess I have a lot of homework to do....I would like something that is accurate out in the open and also in timber. I had no idea that two of the same thing side by side will not always work the same....how do you know you got a good one? I guess its alot like buying a rifle...every now and then a supposedly good one cant hit the side of the barn.
    In the Bush

Default Leica 900

I found my Leica 900 for $500 and I love it. Great quality optics. I ranged a caribou at 299 yards and placed the FFII on 300 yards mark and it was dead on, what more can you ask for.

Quote Originally Posted by Akjaq View Post
    how do you know you got a good one?

You'll know you got a good one when you feel guilty buying.......cuz it cost so much money! Range finders are in the same category as other optics, generally the higher the price, the better the quality. Many people can get buy with a $169 Bushnell sport, but I assure you that it will not range as dependably as a $400+ Leica CRF will, given all the different variables. IME the Leicas are pretty hard to beat, never looked at a Swaro but cant imagine it ranging any better than the Leicas will for the extra $200-$300 they cost. The Leicas are abslutely awesome if the price tag doesn't scare ya. But its hard to know what a guy wants to spend when giving advice on what to buy!

Tried the Leupold RX II... worst money ever spent. Took it back and got a Nikon... best money ever spent.

And I'm a Leupold scope fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Akjaq View Post
    ....how do you know you got a good one? I guess its alot like buying a rifle...every now and then a supposedly good one cant hit the side of the barn.
    Yep, that's true.... like the Sako I got this year that is now back at the factory.

There are a lot of good threads on this topic at Long Range Hunting...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/

I've read numerous posts of guys gettting different results with the same make and model. Best thing to do is take a few to sample out in a parking lot if they will let you and see if there is a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    ... IME the Leicas are pretty hard to beat, never looked at a Swaro but cant imagine it ranging any better than the Leicas will for the extra $200-$300 they cost. The Leicas are abslutely awesome if the price tag doesn't scare ya. But its hard to know what a guy wants to spend when giving advice on what to buy!
    The Leicas are very good, but the Swaros are the hands down favorite with the LR guys. The Swaros will range much farther, someimes up to 1800+ yds. The Leica 1200 CRF will range from about 1100-1300 usually, with the longest I saw reported about 1350 yds. The Swaros will also perform much better in a wider range of conditions. The Swaros will range in some conditons that the Leicas wont.

A guy doesn't necessarily need all that range, depending on far he wants to shoot. But it's nice to know how far the critter is out there and how far you need to close the distance and make a plan.

IME it has nothing to do with ranging stuff past 1000 yards, my CRF 1200 will range to 1300 +. It has more to do with being able to immediately range targets that are 200-500 yards under less than desirable conditions. the light speed performance of the Leica cant be beat IMO for realistic hunting distances, cuz it ranges em instantly with no fidgeting around. I have owned several Bushnell models, ranged with Snyds' Nikon Monarch, and so far none of them worked as quickly and reliably as the Leica. I am sure the Swaro's are nice, but theres no better performance I could ask for that I would be willing to pay extra money for. I mean push button and instanty you have a distance, that cant be said for other makes I have tried. Some require a hard target, have trouble scanning in Tundra, pick up objects other than the one your ranging, etc. Another super nice feature in the Leicas is the red illuminated reticle, these last two Springs I was able to range grizzly bears at the wee hours of the night in timber and that red box is awesome for that as well. thats not easily done in low light with the other range finders I have looked through. Right now Doug has the CRF 900's on sale for $429, thats a very hard price to beat IMO! My CRF 1200 was $500, am thinking thats near half what the swaro cost.
    http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/s...ge=leicacrf900

I ranged a blackie at 750yds this past season with a CRF1200 and it returned a near instant response. The thing just flat works! I am not going to be shooting anything past 900yds so I will likely make a stab at the CRF900 one of these days. For the most part I can shoot too 300 yds within my MPBR so I am not too worried about range. The 1200 would be nice to use while planning a stalk by ranging a potential shooting position and being able to better judge the distance from there to the target.

I'm also a fan of the Leica CRF 1200. It is waterproof and works reliably. Sometimes you get what you pay for . . . Good Luck.

Thanks for all the help....it looks like Im going for the Leica. Who has the cheapest prices?
    In the Bush

Talk to Doug at Camera Land. All you need to do is click the link at the top right of this page! They have been doing a great job of keeping the AODD members in top quality glass at some fantastic prices!