Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlin 45-70 Trapper 1 of 500

Default Marlin 45-70 Trapper 1 of 500

Has anyone seen this gun yet? It's smaller than the Alaska guide model has a 16.25 inch barrel, stainless and a black laminate stock. Is it worth the 775$ price tag?

I've had mine for a couple weeks, its pretty cool. The sights are nice and easy to see, it shoots good and is a handy length. Its only $100 more than a stainless guide gun, and you get laminate instead of walnut. If you're looking for short and powerfull, I'd say its worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenmm View Post
    I've had mine for a couple weeks, its pretty cool. The sights are nice and easy to see, it shoots good and is a handy length. Its only $100 more than a stainless guide gun, and you get laminate instead of walnut. If you're looking for short and powerfull, I'd say its worth it.
    The ultimate all weather alder gun!
    Since I already have a guide gun I doubt I'll pick one up, but they sure look fun. Hmmm... Maybe my wife needs one
    Do you have any pics to share Tenmm?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Here you go!

Cool Gun pic 45-70

Hey, thanks for the pic I've seen pics but hav'nt held it! what grain bullet have you shot out of it yet? Have you ever shot the longer barrel version of this gun? Can you hit a milk jug at 50ft running? LOL.

All I've fired so far is Hornadys 325gr Leverevolution, its the cheapest stuff I can find. I have components on the way for 405 gr loads. I havent fired a longer barrel version, though a buddy of mine just got a XLR with 24" barrel. I'm looking forward to shooting it. I fired mine at 50yd a couple days ago, 3 of 4 shots were almost touching, the 4th wasnt even in the same vicinity, I blame the shooter. The chronograph showed an average 1833fps.
    If I see any running milk jugs, I will definately shoot at them.

AM I SEEING THINGS??????? My eyes must be busted.......

Is that a left handed lever action?

Default Seeing things

Or did the picture get reversed?

That picture is indeed backwards. Sorry to get your hopes up. I used the camera on my computer, the bassakwardsness didnt even occur to me.

Default who is carrying them?

I think alaskalanche bought one from boondocks. I thought his had a 14"bbl, must be this same gun. So where did you buy it? A buddy who is has dual citizinship in Switzerland and Canada is looking for a gun for his helo. Would this be legal in canada, or he like the co-pilot from WWG but also doesn't know if legal in canada, anyone know?

I got it from my favorite little local gunshop, which is me. You'd have to find them on the shelf somewhere now, seems like I heard Boondocks and Chimos had one. No telling if they do anymore though.

seems like 18.5" was the minimum for Canada.

If a person really liked that shorty and had a Guide Gun already they could probably get the barrel cut and crowned (mine needs it anyhow, really rough machining) and maybe Marlin has some extras of that fancy stock.

I'd sure be interested in one of those stocks. I've had to replace my walnut twice due to it cracking at the wrist. Anybody try buying one from marlin yet? Bout time they made one for the straight grip.

KK

Boondocks does have one on the shelf. I would have bought it if I didn't already have a GG.

Its totally legal in Canada. The 16.5" Winchester Trappers i own says so as do my 12.5" barrelled Remmy 870 shottie.

"Firearm Definitions
    A non-restricted firearm is:
    - An ordinary rifle, shotgun or combination gun that is not described below
    as being restricted or prohibited.
    A restricted firearm is:
    - A handgun that is not a prohibited firearm.
    - A semi-automatic, centre-fire rifle or shotgun with a barrel length less than
    470 mm (18.5 inches) that is not prohibited.
    - A rifle or shotgun that can fire when its overall length is reduced by
    folding, telescoping or some other means to less than 660 mm (26
    inches).
    - Any firearm prescribed as restricted (including some long guns).
    A prohibited firearm is:
    - A handgun with a barrel length of 105 mm (4.1 inches) or less.
    - A handgun designed or adapted to discharge 25 or 32 calibre ammunition.
    - A rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make it less than 660 mm (26
    inches) in overall length.
    - A rifle or shotgun that has been altered to make the barrel length less than
    457 mm (18 inches) where the overall firearm length is 660 mm (26
    inches) or more.
    - An automatic firearm and a converted automatic firearm.
    - Any firearm prescribed as prohibited."

You mean this:

Its funny cause when I bought it everyone at boondock's asked who I was gonna hire to shoot it for me due to the kick. I have to say that it kicks far less than my .308. I really like mine and bought it a boondocks in December. I'm sure they have a couple more on hand there. Have to check the number but I believe mine is like 255 of 500. And it has a 16.25" barrel I believe.

The reason Trappers as well as my 870 with 12.5" barrel is totally legal and non restricted here in Canada, is because it falls in the category where its overall length is legal and non restricted.

Win94, I thought that might be so, also I noticed when it says about 18" barrels it specifically says "altered" to less than 18". Which sugests a factory shorter barrel like my 39TDS with it's 16.25 would be legal.

That's one good looking 45-70 there.

Quote Originally Posted by knifemaker View Post
    Win94, I thought that might be so, also I noticed when it says about 18" barrels it specifically says "altered" to less than 18". Which sugests a factory shorter barrel like my 39TDS with it's 16.25 would be legal.

That's one good looking 45-70 there.

You hit the nail on the head Knifemaker!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast