Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is it me or is Under Armour junk?

Question is it me or is Under Armour junk?

just got back from a 5 mile hike with a 40 # load--i received an Under Armour,long sleeve,cold gear base layer shirt as a gift at Christmas(really glad i didn't spend my own $ ) and tried it out today--a few facts first--I am one of those people who really sweat,that said I am in decent shape--not sheep or goat shape--but decent---15 minutes into this hike,my base layer was soaked and getting worse---when i stopped to take a few pictures i started to freeze--by the time I got home this base layer had to weigh 3 pounds---is it me or is this typical for Under Armour?---if it is typical,how do they sell these items?---any comments appreciated

i use it in MI, fishing and hunting. i like it. cut down the layers i needed to wear, and keeps me warm. i wear the under armour, a fleece jacket, and an out layer, and im warm down to 5 degrees or so. you may be over dressing. the under armour doesnt exactly keep you warm. it soaks up perspiration so you dont get cold.

I dislike the UA stuff, and own several variations of it. If it werent for the fact that I sweated so profusely in the pants and drawers , I'd sell the stuff. It will not hold a candle to Patagonia Capilene, just looks cooler!

Default Under Armor

Although I own some UA for trail runs and at the gym, it is not my go-to base layer for long hikes or long trips. Most of the garments contain "lycra" or "spandex", which holds water and becomes clammy.

I love my Patagonia capilene 2 for my base layer, or older duo-fold. If I do get it soaked, it drys very rapidly. Bacause of the more open weave, it does not stay soaking wet, or hold moisture against the skin.

Just my .02 and experience. (BTW-I run, bike, or ski and sweat profusely 4-5 days a week in various base layers)

Also, when I see not-so-athletic dudes in under armor, I have to laugh, because it is these same dudes that make fun of fat-chicks-in-spandex.

-CW

It's certainly not junk. There are few things that are good for every situation. Anything can be misused and this product is no exception. If you plan on doing anything strenous, like doing a 5 mile hike, you should not wear the UA; the Patagonia Capilene would be best for that. If you are just lounging around, going outside, or even going skiing, UA is a great choice. I don't guess I have to say that it's not situational awareness to allow yourself to get in the condition of being soaking wet here in Alaska, especially if you are miles from home.

Default UA

I like the hot weather, LOOSE fitting stuff - especially for hiking.

Smile

" If you plan on doing anything strenous, like doing a 5 mile hike, you should not wear the UA"......... Then what is it good for? Pajamas?.

Question pro hockey players?

I should start by saying I do not own any UA. My friend bought a set years ago for hunting/fishing and was not happy. But, every interview post-game with a hockey player, they're all wearing the stuff. 3 - 20 minute periods of all out skating must matter for something. These guys, and their teams can afford the best regardless of price, and they surely would not wear the stuff if it did not give them optimum performance, wouldn't think?

Talking

If i was getting paid millions of dollars to wear something I was going to sweat in and be uncomfortable in I would wear it too!

I have found out the hard way too. I bet I can out sweat you though...I have found that UA should not be used at temperatures below about +50F. It fits tight, you sweat, the sweat stays on the UA and will get cold...may even freeze. Scary stuff if you are worried about hypothermia. The UA Metal stuff is the absolute worse. There base layer 2.0 can be used to about freezing I have found...not what I want when I am hiking...
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by steelguy View Post
    I should start by saying I do not own any UA. My friend bought a set years ago for hunting/fishing and was not happy. But, every interview post-game with a hockey player, they're all wearing the stuff. 3 - 20 minute periods of all out skating must matter for something. These guys, and their teams can afford the best regardless of price, and they surely would not wear the stuff if it did not give them optimum performance, wouldn't think?
    remember, those guys are moving at a pretty brisk pase (read constantly in a 10mph wind that pulls away moisture) & the only thing over the UA (except where pads are) is a ventilated loose fitting jersey. Pretty rapid drying enviroment quite different than what we wear in the field.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I played hockey up to juniors and some of the kids I played with are now at various levels of the pro ranks. The vast majority of us wore dang near nuthin under our gear. Some only a cup though the norm was boxers of some sort. It is way to hot to have a shirt on if you are working that hard. I am guessing that they put the shirt on for the interview, or they

Default not for hunting

Agreed that it not made for cold weather hunting or hiking. The only place I found it works good is for rec league sports where you are outside in the & early or late season & need to have the long sleeves & higher neck to keep warm when standing still. Otherwise its not that good, & even for these situations when you are done you need to change out of it or you will become cold / clammy. As far as beer league hockey goes it works because as long as you keep moving you don't notice how much sweat it abosorbs or traps in attempt to dissapate & there are no winds on the indoor rinks.
    As far as pro or even college sports you are seeing it more because they are big money sponsors & when they give your orginiazation the workout gear for free to put the logo on the outside of the jersey & you are issued it, you wear it. For sports really whats the difference as the alternative was the standard issue grey cotton to soak up the sweat.

Talking thanks for the responses

guys,thanks for all the responses---my hike was here in western ,pa and the temp was right around +15---was only wearing the Under Armour baselayer and Barney's Brooks Range jacket--that jacket is really toasty,so maybe i was overdressed--never in any danger,just really surprised at the way the Under Armour worked/didn't work

The first I saw underarmor was ~10 years ago under a teammates football shoulder pads - he really liked it for coolness and comfort. I stuck with my cutoff cotton t-shirt as I had no dough to spare. UA makes a good, chafe-proof underlayer. I see it as analogous to bicycle shorts except for hockey and football pads...

I have a sixth sense that draws me away from anything too trendy in hunting clothing - UA and Sitka certainly apply, in that case. If you want the close fit of UA, buy capilene a size smaller than you normally use...

i've got a loose fitting long sleeve crew neck shirt my father in law got me for christmas and i've wore that thing sensless, best base layer shirt i've ever owned, things amazing. it was white but i've skinned so many animals wearing it the sleeves are gray now. my favorite hunting shirt.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default agree w/ BRWNBR

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    i've got a loose fitting long sleeve crew neck shirt my father in law got me for christmas and i've wore that thing sensless, best base layer shirt i've ever owned, things amazing. it was white but i've skinned so many animals wearing it the sleeves are gray now. my favorite hunting shirt.
    I own two of the same shirts... One is brown the other camo... Itis my base layer. They are the toughest, lightest, quickest drying, cool in the heat and great "wickingest" shirts I own... I love them.

I've tried the compression stuff and hate it...
    I've tried the cold gear and hate it...
    I've tried "all purpose" gear and hate it...

But the long sleeve, crew neck, loose fit is my "go to" shirt... I top it w/ a Sitka Mt. Shirt and/or a Marmot wind shirt... Great set up!

I love the Duke-dri desert sand poly wicking t shirts! They rock and only cost $8. I have only seen them in PX in Iraq though and I will be taking home no less than 10 of them this trip. Maybe 15 and I will just put 5 in storage. If I could only find a long sleeve! My cousin uses the military od green sleep shirt and swears by it. He rarely puts more than a fleece vest over it. I am looking for one of those in my size to try out as well. They are long sleeve and fairly thin.

I think it's over-priced and overrated. I ended up getting some base layers made of the same material at Sam's for a lot less and it works just as well or better.
    Now what ?

I dont like base layer but the sweats are great for a cold day out on the hardwater. They are light and give me plenty of mobilty. Just the sweatshirt and my gatlin wool shirt and I can sit most of the day on the ice. Key word is sit. I wouldnt dream of getting a lathered up with the stuff. I does hold the moisture.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast