Thread: Low cost balance

Default Low cost balance

What are your experiences with the low cost digital scales available via eBay? I see a few that are high resolution (.2gr and better). Prices are attractive vs some of the more traditional reloading offerings.

Had one; sent it back. Got a PACT and have used it for two year; love it. J.

I have an RCBS Range Master 750. This is my third scale as the other two eventually would not maintain a zero setting. This occured within one year of purchase and RCBS replaced the scale each time. I now back up my electronic scale with a balance beam just to make sure my electronic scale isn't drifting off. I don't do this on every powder drop but often enough to have confidence that my electronic scale is functioning properly. Reading here and other reloading web sites I find that this is a very common occurance among all electronic scales with the more name brand scales having the best reputation for fewer problems.

The moral to the story here is I simply would not purchase an electronic scale except from a company that I believed in. i.e. RCBS, Lyman, Hornady, Pact, etc. At least from a company that had some kind of warranty. Electronic scales, while convinent and functional most of the time, do not have a stellar track record. Should you purchase an electronic scale please use a balance beam scale to verify it is working properly.

Dan

Cabelas sells a low cost electronic balance at a cost of around $30. It is accurate to .1 gr. I have used it now over a year and have had no problems.

Ron

Default test /cal weights

I would recomend getting a set (at least 2 ) calibration weights to check your scale prior to each reloading session !

You will get what you pay for. Low cost is exactly that. Pay the money to get a quality balance and you won't be frustrated further down the line.

Sensitivity means nothing if the accuracy and precision are non-existent.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...