Thread: Board bow build along

Default Board bow build along

I've been asked to do a "easy to do" board bow build along. It will be a week or so before I can get started but I'd like to ask some questions and give you a partial materials list.

I would like to know your wood working skill level?

Do you just want a basic "how to" or should I include some design theory?

Should we biuld a standard long bow or something a little different like say a Holemgarrd inspired bow? This would be a distinctive quick shooting bow that still is fairly simple to make.

For safety's sake we need to do a backed bow. Good thing is backing almost always improves performance as well as safety. First thing on the list then is Raw hide. Raw hide can be purchased in anchorage at Black elk bead and leather. I have found if I use goat raw hide I don't have to resize it, this makes for a faster biuld and stronger backing than cow raw hide. It is also very affordable you can back about 6 bows for $45. down side is it has to be spliced. I get creative with splicing but some folks don't care for the way it looks and prefer a more linear form. Elk and deer hide are also excellent options but much more expensive, they also have can be cut in strips long enough to make seeming unnecessary.

Please wait till I have time to make some diagrams before getting a limb wood, but if you'd like to find a riser wood no time like the present. In anchorage you can find exotic and domestic hard woods at "hardware specialties" off arctic. In wasilla there is a gentleman on fish hook with a good selection of full length lumber cut hardwoods. But the best deal going by far is "the fir traders" on industrial in palmer. I get almost all my bow woods through him. Almost any hard wood will work as a riser. The denser and heavier the better. While your out get a bottle of tight bond 3 and that's it for now.

The tools used on this can be as basic or as fancy as you have access to. This could literally be built with a knife and a piece of sand paper, it would just take you forever. I find a cabinet scraper very useful and my spoke shave indespenable. I don't really like to use power tools(philosophical thing) so after the stave is cut to thickness I don't.

I'll try to post some material on wood selection for the limbs in a few days.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Rick what do you do to glue the rawhide to the bow?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thumbs up

Thanks for doing this Rick! I'm definitely in and will be picking up parts soon!

Patrick,

Rick will be updating this thread as he goes to keep us all up to speed.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Well I have diagrams and stuff ready to go but it looks like you 2 have things well in hand. Dose the general membership have an interest in following a biuld with me still?

Patrick
    For all the gluing on all natural bows I love Tight bond III. The real trick with raw hide is not getting it too wet and keeping even pressure along the entire length of the bow.

Tracy is working alot so I doubt it will be another week before I can post again.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Certainly

Rick,,,
    As you know I lurk your projects with great interest...
    It will be cool to see how its done...
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Thanks Max but I'm busier than a one legged man at a butt kicking contest right now and it seems a little redundant. Shearej is having to biuld a board style bow out of his stave and has been doing an excellent job.
    BHA Member