Thread: Bow certification

Default Bow certification

fellow bow hunters... I have a buddy in the lower 48 who is an avid bowhunter. He wants to bow hunt with me up here and he wants to get the Ak bow certification. the state he lives in doesn't require the IBEP cert to bow hunt.

He can do the on-line course portion through fish and game... the problem is the shooting proficiency exam... without the IBEP requirement in his state there are very few (if any) classes offered.

Anyone have any thoughts how he can get the proficiency signed off out of state?? I have a call into ADF&G with the same question..

thanks folks.

Greg

Have him do just the shoot portion here. A day of 3D targets would be a nice warm up. Or drive to a state that offers the shooting portion.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Bow cert

The State of AK honors pretty much any IBEP or equivalent course. Have your buddy find a course in his state of neighboring state, call F&G and get it in writing that that course meets the requirements - and he'll be good to go.

Although it is not required in some states and may not be offered by the respective F&G's - a number of private clubs offer it because of the requirment elsewhere. I have been pretty sucessful in tracking down these clubs ... shoot me a city/state and I will see what I can come up with for your friend.

My state doesn't require it, but there were several hunting clubs that offer it throughout the year. Here is a website that has a contact listing for all the states that should be able to get the proper info.

http://www.nbef.org/pdfs/ibepcontacts.pdf

Good luck and have fun.

Is there anything special that you have to do if you have an IBEP card from another state? I have Colorado card that I received from attending the course several years ago. Just want to make sure that it makes me legit in terms of requirements.

Default NO

Quote Originally Posted by stratofisher View Post
    Is there anything special that you have to do if you have an IBEP card from another state? I have Colorado card that I received from attending the course several years ago. Just want to make sure that it makes me legit in terms of requirements.
    No your card is good here. As long as the course is an Archery only course with a proficiency test you are good. Many states offer archery as a small section included within their hunter education programs. That does not cut it. It has to be an archery only course. My card was accepted from New York and has never been questioned. I will take the Alaska course only because I want the Alaska Bow Cert. card. It is pretty! Even though I am an instructor for Alaska, I still want it.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

The Colorado course was a full on course. It actually included tracking a tracking skills test as well. As long as I am legal that is all that matters.

Anyone have any info for the course and shooting test in Indiana?

Default Dave...?

"My card was accepted from New York and has never been questioned."

Are you from NY?

Default Yes

Yes I was born in Syracuse and taught school in Watertown untill 99.

They are talking about IBEP right now at the BoG right now.... if you are interested.

http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Came across this web site might help you.
    http://www.bowhunter-ed.com/

Default Dave

Hey Daveinthebush, Did it snow in Watertown?

Default Yes

Yes it did. The lake affect snows were really bad at times. The worst were the ice storms. In 96, I think, I was out of power for 26 days. I lived in Theresa and drove to Watertown to shower and do laundry before school every day at 5 a.m.

And now I am in Valdez.... where it snows a little bit too.