Thread: Smith and Wesson question

Default Smith and Wesson question

I recently picked up a s&w 44 mag. It is a model 29-3. It is blued with the full barrel underlug and has a 4 position ajustable front sight. It also has houge finger grips on it. I have been told it is a silhouette model and also been told its a hunter model. Anybody familiar with this handgun?
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

I am not aware that S&W made a silhouette model but with the four position front sight that seems it is for silhouette.

I've shot a lot of the iron chickens, with different guns but liked the Wichita machine rear sight with four positions for chicken, pig, turkey and ram for ranges 50, 100, 150 and 200 meters respectively. I've seen various after market sights both front and rear for these games and you may have one of those. A silhouette gun would likely be a long barrel 8 3/8" or possibly ten inches. The DW's were the most popular revolvers for this game. It may well be a rare factory specialty revolver. Sounds like an interesting gun.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

sounds like a hunter classic to me, does it have a 6 inch barrel, may be a lew horton special

Default maybe a silhouette?

It sounds like a silhouette but has a 6 inch barrel. I found one identical on Guns America it is item number 955253409. Its listed by the seller as sihouette, but seems more suited as a hunting model.

google lew horton model 29 sure sounds like one

Default Yup

I looked them up, you were right. I got a Lew Horton Classic Hunter. It came in the original box but the the tools were gone. Looking at the prices on the auction sites I did pretty well. I cant wait to get outand shoot it. Thanks for the info.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I have a S&W 44, 6 inch barrel, with HOGUE grips, but without any special sights or anything like that, and I can tell ya, it's reely fun to shoot.

It's built like a clock, if you know what I mean.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Hey Smitty have you killed anything with that wheel gun? I want to try and knock down a deer with mine this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    I recently picked up a s&w 44 mag. It is a model 29-3. It is blued with the full barrel underlug and has a 4 position ajustable front sight. It also has houge finger grips on it. I have been told it is a silhouette model and also been told its a hunter model. Anybody familiar with this handgun?
    I had three of the silhouette models with that front sight. The sight never worked as stated so I used just the rear sight.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by bigswede358 View Post
    Hey Smitty have you killed anything with that wheel gun? I want to try and knock down a deer with mine this fall.
    After you get out of jail, Hunh?

I've only had it a short while. I carry it for Bear Protection, and I hope I never have to use it for that.

I handload for it, so ammo doesn't cost me an arm and a leg, and I can make a variety of loads. Some for Bear Defense, some for practice, some for experimenting. I use only cast bullets.

It's a bulky handgun, but with the longer barrel, and the Hogue grips, it handles well when it goes off.

Fully loaded, it weighs only bout 6 oz. more than my Ruger Blackhawk 357. For slow fire, I think I can shoot it DA, just as well as SA.

I have little expertise, with handguns, and don't know how it compares with the newer 629s but this 29 action is reely smooth. I'm looking forward to the next time I get to shoot it.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default got some stuff

Up until today I didn't have any components for my new toy, so my father in law felt pity on me and gave me a small lot of brass, bullets, powder, primers, and even let me barrow his dies. I think I will try to get some plinkers loaded up in the next couple of days. That is if I can get out of jail, LOL