Thread: Rl-17

Question Rl-17

Has anybody tried it out in a 300 WSM yet? If so what did you think about it.

Default Sunday

Going to test some loads over the chorono on Sunday. Will report back.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Thanks and I'll be waiting to hear the results. Good luck

where are you getting load data?

You can get a basic idea (depending on the bullets your shooting) off of alliants website. I have 20 loaded in a tree right now, I just havent had time to try it out. I started mine at 61 and worked up to 66.5 with some 180gr Barnes TTSXs. Everything that I have read states that the biggest gains are with a heavier bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    You can get a basic idea (depending on the bullets your shooting) off of alliants website. I have 20 loaded in a tree right now, I just havent had time to try it out. I started mine at 61 and worked up to 66.5 with some 180gr Barnes TTSXs. Everything that I have read states that the biggest gains are with a heavier bullet.
    How far off the lands are you seated?

.068 with the TTSX's

OK... you guys have had your Reloader 17 for several weeks now... any results???

Default Rl-17

Ronster

You said you started at 61gr and worked up to 66.5. Which load gave the 0.068 group?

Quote Originally Posted by tradbowkill View Post
    Ronster

You said you started at 61gr and worked up to 66.5. Which load gave the 0.068 group?

.068 with the TTSX's

Who would even bother to measure such a lousy group?

Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post

.068 with the TTSX's

Who would even bother to measure such a lousy group?
    What . . . we have some new nomenclature here???
    Lands = Target or object bullet will strike, where it “landed” and not the minor diameter of rifling?
    Seated = Bench or “seat” you sat on when shooting, not how much free bore in front of the round?
    Group = Us gun-nuts behind the keyboards, not how close the holes in the paper are?

BTW: I never thought of us as a “lousy group” myself . . . I believe we measure up quite well.

Sorry guys, its way late and I could not stop myself.

So has anyone shot any RL-17 at all yet? I got some to try in 308’s but have not had any time to play. So far I have only heard from one guy who tried it in a 30-06 with a poor review. I think that the 30-06 is too large a case for it to work its best, better for smaller cases I’m thinking.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post

So has anyone shot any RL-17 at all yet? I got some to try in 308’s but have not had any time to play. So far I have only heard from one guy who tried it in a 30-06 with a poor review. I think that the 30-06 is too large a case for it to work its best, better for smaller cases I’m thinking.

Andy
    I have plans on loading the new 300gr Accubond in .375 Ruger. I have a couple decent 300gr loads with 72.0gr of RL-15 @ 2654fps and 83.0gr of RL-19 @ 2653fps.

I'm not feeling the small case comment that you mentioned. The RL-17 burn rate puts it right in the perfect range for heavy bullets in the .375. H4350 is suited for the heavy bullets but RL-17 should fill better. Testing to follow soon, time will tell.

No plans on a .308 load. I have two really good loads with Varget and BLC-2 in my Ruger Tactical 20" .308 with 1:10 twist. The BLC-2 can be loaded in a hurry with the Dillon progressive press. The Varget gets hand treatment since my Dillon powder thrower protests the extruded powder.

The .308 mentioned above just arrived two weeks ago. It has shot amazingly well right out of the box. Only 40 rounds through it and it's shooting very tight. My Rem 700 buddies think that I had some truing done before I went to the range, not so.

My AR style .308 is finicky and has chosen it's load for me. No RL-17 planned for it.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    I'm not feeling the small case comment that you mentioned. The RL-17 burn rate puts it right in the perfect range for heavy bullets in the .375. H4350 is suited for the heavy bullets but RL-17 should fill better. Testing to follow soon, time will tell.

My AR style .308 is finicky and has chosen it's load for me. No RL-17 planned for it.
    From what I have read it did amazing things in the 300WSM that is very close in size to the .308, but time will tell. That’s not to say it won’t be good for other things like your .375, it’s so new this is still anyone’s guess. I look forward to hearing what you find out with it.

People (myself included) always under estimate what the AR base rifles can do until they have a chance to play with them. The completely free floating barrel and the shroud all the way around make it a tack driver that heat has little effect on. As a leaver action kind of guy I think they are ugly as sin, but boy do I ever want one as they are one heck of a great tool no matter what it looks like!

Andy

I still havent had a chance to test mine out, the weather in Fairbanks hasnt been the best lately... Hopefully I will have some time this week and the weather will cooperate long enough to get 20 out.

I have used it in the 358 Nukalpiaq and the parent 375 Ruger. I think it would be a poor powder for the 308 Winchester and would definately be out for the gas guns in that caliber.

It works very well for the 375 Ruger case and may be the top velocity powder for the 375 and 300 grain bullets, if you're in to that sort of thing.

I hit 2800 fps with 275 grain Kodiaks and 2750 with the 280 Swift A-frame in the 358 Nukalpiaq. That is some serious bear medicine. Cases fell out and of course recoil was equal to the 243 Winchester. I have had only one targeting session with the powder and groups were about an inch with these loads.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    What . . . we have some new nomenclature here???
    Lands = Target or object bullet will strike, where it “landed” and not the minor diameter of rifling?
    Seated = Bench or “seat” you sat on when shooting, not how much free bore in front of the round?
    Group = Us gun-nuts behind the keyboards, not how close the holes in the paper are?

BTW: I never thought of us as a “lousy group” myself . . . I believe we measure up quite well.

Sorry guys, its way late and I could not stop myself.

Andy

Nomenclature...hmmm.........a big word.

Actually I think the '06 would be a good case to try this in. It is smaller than the 300 WSM case remember and the RL-17 is between RL-15 and RL-19 in burn rate. The 375 Ruger case is huge and I'm pouring RL-17 into it 77.0 grains at a time. I plan to load it in an '06 if I can remember where I left mine.

Default .243 revolver with Scandium Alloy frame and Titanium Cylinder

Hey Murphy--who built that 6 ounce .243 revolver for you?
    Regards,
    Jim

I have used it in the 358 Nukalpiaq and the parent 375 Ruger. I think it would be a poor powder for the 308 Winchester and would definately be out for the gas guns in that caliber.

It works very well for the 375 Ruger case and may be the top velocity powder for the 375 and 300 grain bullets, if you're in to that sort of thing.

I hit 2800 fps with 275 grain Kodiaks and 2750 with the 280 Swift A-frame in the 358 Nukalpiaq. That is some serious bear medicine. Cases fell out and of course recoil was equal to the 243 Winchester. I have had only one targeting session with the powder and groups were about an inch with these loads.
    Murphy,

I'm glad to see that my thoughts about the .308 and the .375 are at least in the ball park. Ever since I started loading the Ruger I wanted a better case fill that would also give accuracy in my rifle too. I have a couple of real good loads in 260gr Accubond, 270gr TSX and 300gr Game King.

Perhaps the RL-17 will be just as accurate and push it down range with a little more steam. I'm thinking based on past results and your comments that my rifle will shine at the same velocities. The RL-17 may push a little faster but if it doesn't group I won't be a player. Either way I'll post results when done.

Today was a long day at the range with a new Remington VS SF-II chambered in .204 Ruger. So far it's been a real nice rifle with 32gr Sierra Blitz Kings over 10X. I loaded 7 combinations of charge at a COL of 2.355 four each and they all grouped under an inch ranging from 3696fps - 3981fps with two real winners at the lower velocities. I plan on tweaking those loads next week.

Nomenclature...hmmm.........a big word.

Actually I think the '06 would be a good case to try this in. It is smaller than the 300 WSM case remember and the RL-17 is between RL-15 and RL-19 in burn rate. The 375 Ruger case is huge and I'm pouring RL-17 into it 77.0 grains at a time. I plan to load it in an '06 if I can remember where I left mine.
    I would have bellied the 30-06 would be a good candidate also, but I now have 3 people from all over telling me it's not working for them.

I had never looked at the case volume of the WSM till you said its more than an 06 and since it's shorter than a 308 I was shocked to find you are correct. I don’t know if it do well in a 308 or not but I have a feeling about it and will put it to the test when I can.

Andy