Thread: Funny Sheefishing vid

Default Funny Sheefishing vid

Took this vid last Spring, but I found it again on the computer, so I look at it as something to prepare for in April.

So, for your entertainment;
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Holy Crap! That fish is Huge! Nice Work!

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Oh man! What a great video. I was so nervous cuz I thought the kids arm was gonna freeze in there at first.
    That was awesome. Ive never seen a live sheefish on video before. The only ones I was on video were jumping in the water or already dead.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Some people get all the good problems....

Where were you fishing? Nice video, too.

Glad you like it.
    It was Taken in Kotzebue Sound, mid April, by my sisterinlaw Rose.

Sometimes you can really hit the fish, and get sledloads, and sometimes you just get frostbit...~LOL!~ Sunburn'd too....

Its quite a scene to see the river boiling with huge fish in their spawning grounds way up the Kobuk river.
    Sweet white meat, and with great texture, its good fry'd to dry'd, baked boiled or frozen with oil.....Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!

Way cool! Was that you stranger holding the fish at the end?
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Ahhhhhh....yep.....Now you know what I look like...sound like,....Sheefish like...~LOL!!~

Neat video Stranger. Keep them coming! Never seen a Shefish. Looks like a huge white fish.

They really are a neat fish.
    In Canada they are called Inconu which is the French word for unknown.
    We just call them Coney's.
    You're fishing world record water in the Kobuk. That river is on my bucket list.
    Another interesting fact is they're only available in 5 drainages in the world. I have caught quite a few but none anywhere near that size.
    Keep those NW Alaska pics and vids coming.

very nice indeed...thx for posting it...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

DRifter,

If ever you get here and want 'em big lemme know, and I can help direct you. Shee Fish schools are followed like Caribou Herds around here, and the hotspots are a constant rumor.....

I have cought much bigger in my nets.

Right after the Ice Breaks up on Kobuk River, the schools come in.

Stranger,

I foget...are you going to fish for these again on spring break up?

Tim
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Spring break up....."Maby" is my best answer, tdelarm.....

Were going to fish for them on the ice on the lakes,and the Sound in later March, April and May. I can get them by the pound or by the ton on a good day. Two or three days of those will fill a cache and a freezer.

Maby........... just maby ...........I'll be around here when the Spring Breakup comes...and if I am, Sheefish are on the "do" list when the open river hits the ice at the lakes and the Run up river starts for Sheefish. Then a deep set net here by Noorvik, and get as much as possible. Set up drying racks and let the ladys "Cut Fish".
    They are like cash...They taste so good, they are easy to trade off..... Its a good time.

Though I much preferr to ride out the ice on a different river, where we Salmon fish in Summer, we take it as it comes, how much $$$ I have, how much gas I have and how well my transportation works....Honestly, I just go with the flow....

Awesome fish and video stranger . I have worked all over AK doing bush jobs and sheefish is right at the top of my fish to eat. Good for you!

Sheefish are a blast. I have only gotten into them once. I always miss the run. I had one hit a rapala about ten feet from the boat. The bait went 2-3 feet in the air and I heard the fish knock it out. Too fun! I landed one a few minutes later. Maybe a 5-7 pounder only, but a lot of fun.

Default Great video Stranger...

I'll bet you keep those ice holes smaller than a shoe so you don't plug a leg in that ice water. With that tapered head, I'm surprised that big shee didn't come right up that hole with the line. Guess that guy's arm wasn't that cold for a arctic guy, water was only 32 deg unless it was salt!

LOL!!

That was the SECOND Shee stuck in that hole, and after he first one was pulled, I did enlarge it to 10 inches...my boots are 12's, so compare.

Might add too, that Lyonels arm was in many holels that day....Our "Sheeefish whisperer" ~LOL!!~

My arm got cold just watching....Great job capturing the event on video. I have heard sheefish called the tarpoon of the north? Population of them migrate in near Minto Flats, I heard? My buddy caught one about 36 inches long in the Chena River fishing for grayling.

Thanks for posting.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Default Amazing

That was the coolest thing ever. Reminds me of catching sturgeon ice fishing and not bringing a gaf..

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post

Sweet white meat, and with great texture, its good fry'd to dry'd, baked boiled or frozen with oil
    You said it man. I was up in Kotz April to Dec of 2004. Second day there some of the guys from the Fire Department invited me to go out on 4 wheelers to catch some sheefish. I had no idea what that meant, but of course jumped at the chance to go. We pulled them up one after the other. Being fresh off the plane from North Carolina, you can only imagine how much I enjoyed that. To say the very least, it was my first exposure to ice fishing. Spent a good bit of time cleaning them outside the firehall that evening and cubed up a bunch and put them in the fry daddy. Holy sh^t. Some of the best fish I have ever eaten to this day. Good times man.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.