Thread: Gloves and rain

Default Gloves and rain

I was wondering what others did to keep hands dry when out in the rain on the river for several days. I tried some Sealskinz and NRS and neither really kept my hands dry. Best I have come up with is cheap dishwashing gloves over polypro liners.

I gave up years ago trying to keep either my feet or hands dry. I don't mind being wet as long as I can stay warm. I used to wear neoprene gloves, but they really aren't very warm. They hold a lot of water & keep evaporating all day. So now I wear cheap synthetic gloves with latex palms & fingertips. Just cheap stuff I seem to find everywhere. They're a lot warmer than I thought they would be, and the grip is great too.

Default Rafting in the rain...

I had lukewarm experience with Glacier Gloves last June on the Gulkana - my hands weren't cold, but they weren't warm either - due to rain that crept in. I bought some waterfowlers gloves I'll try if it's cold and wet next time.

Some thoughts on another thread.
    Medium weight water proof gloves, http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...914#post437914

I have always worn inexpensive fingerless wool gloves with the mitten that folds over your fingers when needed. These are the same gloves that I wear for almost every activity, year 'round. They are warm when dry or wet and they don't cost a fortune. I usually buy about 3-4 pairs each fall and that seems to last me for a year or so.

There is no Miracle glove for sure by any means. I carry one nice lined pair in a bag to keep dry. I will toss some hand warmers in there. When fingers get numb I dry them and stuff them in the gloves. Rowing I will just use a lined elbow high rubber glove, I picked them up at AIH.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default bag o gloves

Like Jim S said about Neoprene,, It does not work for me either.
    The Wool gloves with the leather palm is my favorite for cooler wet weather.
    I have always worn inexpensive fingerless wool gloves with the mitten that folds over your fingers when needed. These are the same gloves that I wear for almost every activity, year 'round. They are warm when dry or wet and they don't cost a fortune. I usually buy about 3-4 pairs each fall and that seems to last me for a year or so.
    As Corn suggested.. these are always in the bag,
    When wind gets going, I like a cover with rubber over cheap cotton.
    and when it dry and warm, I don't wear any gloves or even just light soft leather ones, depending on how my hands are holding up .
    Arthritis is giving me heck now days when its cold and wet, and if I don't Move my fingers around a bit they will kinda get numb and hurt.
    ,,,, Gloves are something that I try to have a selection of when I go, and I keep them handy and dry if at possible so If I need a change, they are easy to swap.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Default Gloves

Another vote for the fingerless wool. I also have problems with arthritis and have Renaud's disease (cold affects the circulation in extremities). The wool and even polar-tec gloves keep my hands warm even if they get wet. Haven't found anything better yet. Not expensive, either.

M

have never worn gloves. 'course, seldom paddle outside of jun/jul/aug. but, i did buy a pair of NRS neoprenes a few years back. so far all they have done is take up space at the bottom of my pack. that said, there have been a few times i thought, "i should be wearing gloves. afterall, i got some." but, of course, they are in the bottom of my pack...

never said i was real bright at times.....

Last summer I tried out a pair of sailing gloves. They have the finger tips cut out, which is nice if I need to open a zipper or something, but it lets out heat. They are fairly warm, during the windy days on the Kenai during the summer. I havent tried them in the fall yet, but I can say with confidence that they will be too cold. They are designed to get wet and they dry very quickly.

The palm is leather and the rest is basicaly elastic material with leather here and there.

Default Waterfowlers gloves...

seem promising - tried 'em in 30's temps with light rain only so far and no trial on-stream yet.

From Cabela's - inner fleece glove fits inside a gore-tex type, elbow-length outer glove with reinforced palm. The two-layers (and dry hands) seemed warmer. I think I could get a pocket warmer or two inside the forearms sections. Pain to put on, but worked well so far.

Neoprene: I've had really good performance with a pair of high-end neoprene gloves I got at a dive store, that fit... well, "like a glove": not constricting, but are snug enough I get the wetsuit effect. Forget the brand; I just lost them...

My experience with neoprene, though, has been that it's has to be good, well-fitted stuff, and that it's best if I'm out in the water a lot. Otherwise... I'm with you guys, fingerless woolies are pretty hard to beat in anything but savage conditions.

Default Gloves for rafting trips

Seems we all have had the same experience; there is no glove that does it all. I have used neoprene gloves, but they keep my hands clammy and cold (good for wind though). Polypro liners dry fast and provide okay warmth, I guess. The main benefit of the polypro liners is that they keep the bugs off my hands though. I bring a pair on every trip.

Leather gloves are great in Devil's Club and such, but not so hot on the water. They get wet and stay that way, or they dry and shrivel up, and I look like OJ trying on the leather glove...

I do like the Blue Palm gloves though. They're made of synthetic / cotton blend I think, but the palms and fingertips are textured rubber. They provide very good grip when wet, but the backs are cool when wet, because of evaporation. They seem to take a long time to dry. Still, I bring a pair along and use them on many trips. As a side note, I wear them every time when I'm dipnetting. They give me a good grip on the net handle, and allow me to handle fish without slicing my fingers on teeth and gill rakers.

Some people have a very hard time with skin cracking in wet windy environments, and they really need a good glove. If you have that issue, you might try some Bag Balm on your hands; it really helps. I don't have that trouble but I've seen several people use it for chapped hands.

You will probably bring several pairs of gloves and switch on and off to meet the situation.

Also you might try neoprene oar handle sleeves on your oar shafts. They give you much better grip whether you're wearing gloves or not.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default 12 volts?

Last edited by 6XLeech; 03-16-2010 at 23:13.

Ahh, heated grips. Great idea! Now if we just add a wind turbine for power we can harness all those wasted upriver winds we face every trip.

I use the NRS neoprene gloves. Usually the Hydroskin, but recently bought some that are warmer/thicker. Maybe they were called "Navigator". Nice stuff and very comfortable. Not waterproof and they are designed to let water in, heat the water, and keep you warm that way. But aside from the hands being a little wet, I like them a lot. And they do well on windy days. I like having two pairs. I rotate them off, taking off the wet ones in place of drier ones, then back and forth during the day. Works well for me.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Good word on the Bag Balm, Michael. I am one of those people who's hands crack open and bleed in arid & riverine conditions. For me, two grand canyons descents & 6 years in wildfire were made tolerable by bag balm, and big trick I learned (with both leather and neoprene) was to coat my hands completely in the stuff and then put my gloves on. After a few rounds of this, the insides of the gloves were 'greased.' A bit nasty, yes, and it picks up grit... but saved a lot of pain.

I have a friend that puts on a load of bag balm before bedtime, and then sleeps with his hands in a pair of socks. By morning his hands are doing fine again. Seems to be great stuff, but I rarely need it myself.