Thread: August Seward or Kenai

Default August Seward or Kenai

I have been searching this fishing forum for some time. So, thought I would ask my question directly.

I am traveling to Alaska the last two weeks of August. No one in my group likes to fish except me, but I have always wanted to fish in Alaska.

The only real day I have open is August 21, when we are in Seward. Can anyone suggest a charter or guide either out of Seward or fishing on the Kenai? I would prefer fishing a half day. In August, which is better, Seward or Kenai?

Thanks,

Jamie

That depends on what type of fishing you are looking to do. I think that if you provide a little more insight as to what your desires are, we'd be able to point you in the right direction a little better.

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

I think you can fish with beads on the Russian River by August 21st. You'll see some people, and a few bears, but its definently a fun time.

FIsh On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    I think you can fish with beads on the Russian River by August 21st. You'll see some people, and a few bears, but its definently a fun time.

FIsh On!

Chase silvers out of seward. Give the thread some time and you will get some great charter ideas. silvers should be hot then in seward. Im a russian river/kenai guy but the time frame your in seward will be perfect.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default More Information

I just want to catch fish (silver salmon or halibut). Want to go where the fish will more than likely be biting around Aug 21.

I don't care to wade (someone will fall in) and no fly fishing (for the safety of others).

Thanks,

Jamie

Pro fish n sea is the guy to book with out of seward. Captin Steve does a great job. Hallibut or salmon. They have a combo trip also. I would take you but I go back to work on the 19th. Also the Seward fishing club is a great time.

Try saltwater safari out of Seward. They work for their customers.

You can snag silvers in the harbor in late august. It's not really fishing, but it is catching.

I'd second the suggestion of going to Seward and trying to book with Profish-n-Sea or with Crackerjack Charters. And, from my point of view, if you've always wanted to fish in Alaska and you've got one shot to do it, go for broke. Or, at least do a full-day combo trip. You stand a good chance to catch three or four species - halibut, rockfish, silver, lingcod....

Good luck!
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

I would also recommend Profish-n-Sea or Crackerjack. If you know you are going to be in Seward on a specific day, I wouldn't wait too long to book it. The best guys tend to fill up fast. Go for the full day, combo if possible. You will already by all the way up in Alaska, don't squander the opportunity on a half day.

Smile Charter

Out of Seward, CRACKERJACK!

You should definitely catch some fish there in August.

M

I'll join the crowd here and say you can't really go wrong in Seward in August. Even if the salmon aren't there for some reason, you're pretty close to gauranteed halibut, lingcod, and rockfish if you're on a charter. I won't bother recommending anyone else, since they've got you covered with some excellent choices.

I do agree with wykee5, though. If you are limited to one specific day, book it now to make sure you're good to go when you get here. Things can fill up pretty early, and if there's a particularly strong or late run of silvers, it's not uncommon for people like me in Anchorage to book last-minute charters for one last shot at hot fishing.

Thanks for your advice.

Jamie

Default Seward

While I certainly have a vested interest in the Kenai, since you only have one day (and limited at that) the choice is clear....Seward.

The scenery will be unbelievable, you will have chances at silvers, halibut, links, rock fish and so on.

The Kenai is great, but we are launching around 5:00 am and the limit is 2 silvers per person. This is not a pink year and kings will be closed. The trout, on the other hand is just getting really, really good in the middle.

So, check out the charters already mentioned. If you are looking for a bit more personal touch, google "semaka". This is an independant six pack operator in Seward that can also provide a great trip.

Cheers