Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite/Best Jacket

Default Favorite/Best Jacket

Whats yalls opinions on best cold weather jacket for sheep hunting? something like the integral designs rundle jacket as stated in a previous post. i need to replace my heavy fleece pullover. i want a good warm lightweight jacket in a mute color. i have my helly hansen to go over it or my sitka jacket as well. i need somethin for when the temps droppppp. thanks!

I use a layer system. I have a light Mont-Bell down vest that I use for sleeping or when I am stopped and glassing (4 oz) and I have a Mountain Hardwear compressor jacket (15 oz). Those two together with my rain shell and I am weather proof. Plus I have several options for different conditions.

i really like that idea! thanks!

Well for keeping me warm sheep hunting or just backpacking in general I try to do as much layering as possible. That said though I really like my Cabelas insulator jacket. Compresses down nicely and a pretty good warmth/weight ratio. I just wish it was on sale when I bought it, but I'm glad I bought it when I did as it came in very handy several times last year when the mercury dropped and the wind picked up. Great price for a great piece of gear. I honestly believe if it said patagonia, arcteryx, or mt. hardwear, instead of cabelas you could easily except a $150 price tag.

That Cabela's jacket looks pretty nice and the price tag is even nicer. Do you know what it weighs in at?

I agree layering the best way to go and the Cabelas Insulator is one of the best buys for the price I have found also and the tight fitting hood is sweet too. You could go with something like a poly top, mountain shirt and then the Insulator, a Micro Puff vest (Patagonia) and some sort of wind stopper lightweight jacket and be good. Under the windiest of conditions (which is when I usually get cold) you could also put on your raingear jacket to add some additional warmth. When I am cold in the sheep mountains, I usually end up wearing just about everything I have with me, but those times are very limited. Theres lots of lightweight warm gear out there, that packs into just about nothing. Companies light Mountain Hardwear, Patatgonia, Mont Bell, and others make some great stuff. Wouldn't hurt to swing into a REI or other mountaineering shop to check the stuff out, but I must warn you............it aint cheap!

For sheep hunting I wear my Sitka Gear 90% jacket with a fleece jacket underneath on those chilly days. The camo pattern IMO is very conducive to sheep terrain and the jacket keeps me warm since i'm mostly on the move. If it's chilly enough and I happen to stop to glass or whatever, I put on the fleece jacket then the 90% coat. I like the SG Mountain shirt and wear it exclusively when hunting.

Default Cabelas Jacket

Brian,
    My Jacket weighs 25 ounces in the size Large/Regular.

Casey

Question Sizing on the insulator jacket?

Does the jacket fit true to size according to their size chart?

Thanks!

Default Sizing

Sizing does seem accurate. I guess it also depends on how much you want to be able to wear underneath.

Default Cabelas ins. jacket

I wear a large but I have the extra large ins. jacket and it is a perfect fit. I love that jacket. Its packs so small but is warm. Thats a great deal. Its in my gear bag everyday at work. Perfect coat for glassing sheep on a windy ridge top.

Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    Does the jacket fit true to size according to their size chart?

Thanks!
    I dont knwo if this helps, but Im 5' 9 and 160 lbs and I have a medium and it fits perfectly. Can fit some polypro layers and a fleece vest underneath and my HH impertech or Marmot precip over the top.

Default Brooks Range Jacket?

I have a Cabela's woolimite windshear jacket that I have used for a few seasons. It is a bit heavy and warm for most of our areas and hunts up here.

I've been looking for a new jacket that is lightweight and warm.

For those of you that have experience with the Brooks Range Jacket, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Richard

Talking love the Brooks Range jacket

have used this jacket in alaska on 3 brown bear hunts---2 in the ABC islands--one about 2 hours north of Dillingham---light---packs down to just about nothing---if anything, i found this jacket tttttoooo warm--actually wear one less layer in this jacket--very good in the wind--very good in LIGHT rains---still have to put Impertech on as the top layer in heavy rain--totally happy with this jacket

anyone have pics of this mysterious brooks range jacket? lol i cant get on the website or find it anywhere. who has the specs on it? thanks!

Default pics

go to integral design website----expedition gear---dolmotti jacket---the Brooks Range jacket is a different color but very similiar

what is his msrp? (bobs?) more or less than getting it from integral designs? can you specify what is different on his? what color does he have? sorry to ask for all this... thanks again!

Default Brooks Range Jckt

My "go-to" coat...

If this works the way I think it will there are two pics attached... One from a sheep hunt the second from a bear hunt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Brocks Range Jckt pic Pt 2

Warm but miserable!

This is a photo from a Kodiak Bear hunt. We had a two day wind storm with winds that could easily knock a man over. We estimated wind gusts in excess of 100mph...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Bob's Jckt

I've worked with Bob a bit and this is my understanding on his relation ship with Integral Designs.

His Brook's Range Jacket and pant design is based on Integral Design's Dolomitti jckt and their pant. He "customized" the specs for Alaskan hunting. Color, wear patches, belt loops, zippers and pockets. Beyond that the technology is the same.

He has done similar work with tent designs (eureka) and boots (Scarpa) and overboots (NEOS)...

He's always working on making a good product better for the Alaskan Hunter.

PS... If you search this forum there was a thread about the Brook's Range Jacket compared to the Dolomitti... There was quite a bit of good stuff there....

The above referenced Cabela's Jckt is a good economical option. I bought one of those for a friend and he loves it. Call it the "best bang for the buck" jacket...
    Last edited by WinMag; 02-21-2009 at 15:27. Reason: addtional info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast