Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rules to stay alive when hunting dangerous game

Default Rules to stay alive when hunting dangerous game

Here are some rules I came up with years ago when traveling and doing some hunting on dangerous game, thought some might be interested in them especially the newer members and those who have not read this before.

RULES TO STAY ALIVE WHEN HUNTING DANGEROUS GAME
    By: Mike Price
    (hog, lion, bear, moose, buffalo, any animal that cops an attitude)

1. Take a good controlled fed rifle (or premium push feed) to do the job you are asking it to perform.

2. It must be a rifle that you know and are familiar with, because you have spent a lot of time holding it in your hands working the action and safeties so as to learn itís peculiarities!

3. Shoot it from different positions and at varying ranges until you are proficient at all positions and ranges you will possibly shoot!

4. There is no such thing as the all around or magic cartridge, just some good ones that do the job very well, if you do yours!

5. Only center hits in the vital kill area counts, or a dangerous animal might teach you the difference!

6. Make the deepest hole you can to insure that vital organs, nerve centers, blood arteries and pivotal skeletal structure can be reached and destroyed from all impact angles!

7. Reaching vitals at all angles won't happen if the bullet does not hold up and fragments or sheds itís jacket or bends, so don't buy cheap factory ammunition or cheap bullets if you hand-load!

8. Do not shoot a cartridge that you are not able to handle because of excessive recoil and that will negatively affect your accuracy!

9. Your intent is to shoot a cartridge that you can keep under control and will make the biggest possible diameter exit hole (if angle and distance allows), to let blood out and air in!

10. Make sure your shot is an affective one in that the distance is reasonable to ensure a judicious kill!

11. All dangerous game when shot are still dangerous so "SERVICE" your threat until it is no longer a threat, that means until it won't, can't and doesn't breath nor moves, especially if it is at close quarters, if NOT you might get BIT, CUT UP, STOMPED, BROKE IN HALF, or EATEN!!!

12. If all of the above does not work I recommend (if there is time) a quick prayer!
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I agree. Always carry enough or more gun that you shoot well.
    "All bureaucracies are the same. They drain the life out of the truly creative people and develop mindless paperpushers as their critical mass."

"You are a den of Vipers.I intend to rout you out and by the Eternal God I will rout you out.If the people only understood the rank injustice of our money and banking system there would be a revolution before morning"--Andrew Jackson 1828

Default Premium Push Feed?

What in the world is a "premium push feed" rifle?

A rifle is either a controlled feed as Mauser designed the bolt action or one of the push feed designs like Remington, Sako, Savage etc. that were designed to be cheaper to manufacture.

If you can short stroke, double feed, loose a round if you operate it upside down etc., rip off a rim with a tiny extractor, get a bit of rust in the spring ejector etc. the rifle doesn't cut it for serious work - period.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

The only thing I would change is to move #12 to #1
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I had to go back to the top and read what was on the list of dangerous animals. These are all animals from North America. I think the parameters would change if you had African Dangerous animals and I would add another to the 12 already mentioned...double rifle.

My .02 cents worth.

Matt M

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    The only thing I would change is to move #12 to #1
    I agree. And #13 would be to remember to change your underwear when it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt M View Post
    I had to go back to the top and read what was on the list of dangerous animals. These are all animals from North America. I think the parameters would change if you had African Dangerous animals and I would add another to the 12 already mentioned...double rifle.

My .02 cents worth.

Matt M
    The lion I was speaking of was Africa, he ain't cougar and anyone who has stood in front of ones knows that and a double would do the job.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post

A rifle is either a controlled feed as Mauser designed the bolt action or one of the push feed designs like Remington, Sako, Savage etc. that were designed to be cheaper to manufacture.

If you can short stroke, double feed, loose a round if you operate it upside down etc., rip off a rim with a tiny extractor, get a bit of rust in the spring ejector etc. the rifle doesn't cut it for serious work - period.
    Interesting take since so many of us have used premium push fee rifles such as the Weatherby to do the job as well as good operating Remingtons, Sakos and Savages on dangerous game. Also, I have used control feed which I prefer. When it comes to push feed rifles and custom push feed rifles you don't know what you are talking about when you say it does not cut for serious work.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Controlled feed

You can take whatever you like - I'll stake my life on my controlled feed!

The guides in Africa and many in the US are in agreement - push feeds are fine for target shooting and varmits but for serious stuff you can't beat the reliability of a controlled feed. Could that be why even you admit you prefer a controlled feed?

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Interesting take since so many of us have used premium push fee rifles such as the Weatherby to do the job as well as good operating Remingtons, Sakos and Savages on dangerous game. Also, I have used control feed which I prefer. When it comes to push feed rifles and custom push feed rifles you don't know what you are talking about when you say it does not cut for serious work.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

The guides in Africa and many in the US are in agreement - push feeds are fine for target shooting and varmits but for serious stuff you can't beat the reliability of a controlled feed. Could that be why even you admit you prefer a controlled feed?
    I prefer a controlled feed but your statement that a push feed could not cut it period was dumb, incorrect and like I said you don't know what you are talking about. How many times might I have to say it before you really know what I mean. Let me say it just one more time and that is that you do not know what you are talking about when you said, "the rifle doesn't cut it for serious work - period."

And what is this that in Africa guides are against the push feed, some are but not all, and you would have to understand the old school from British influence to understand why there is a biais against push feed in some circles they are against a bolt action of any kind period. Well, my two times hunting in Tanzania the guide ask what cartridge I was bringing to hunt with and I told him 30-06 Ackley Improved and 340Wby, the Ackley Improved was in a Custom Sako with a TRG receiver and the 340Wby in a Mark V. I guess he did not make a remark about my push feed Mark V since he was using as his all around carry a 416Wby Mark V.

Like I said, you do not know what you are talking about.

I have used both and in serious work and up close and was saving this comment for last, it was the push feed that saved my wagon not the control feed. Why I prefer the control feed has nothing to do with the fact that the push feed is capable and served many in doing so. Like I said you don't know what you are talking about.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

You might choose to include "Situational Awareness" or even "Intense Situational Awareness" or not, it is your list.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    You might choose to include "Situational Awareness" or not, it is your list.
    Good idea, where would you put it in the list and how would you word it??
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Both types can mess up and both can work and both can mess up on the very next shot.Generaly a control may be better but then again the double may be better yet.I would say most every design out there has been working in the field my short time in life. Just look at the feed design of some of the old leverguns that won the west.
    All that said its just one mans list to stand by and not one he claims all should use

How is this following number 10

11. This will not take place if you are not aware of your situation at all times with continued focus, appraising your immediate position and circumstances.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Both types can mess up and both can work and both can mess up on the very next shot.Generaly a control may be better but then again the double may be better yet.I would say most every design out there has been working in the field my short time in life. Just look at the feed design of some of the old leverguns that won the west.
    All that said its just one mans list to stand by and not one he claims all should use
    Well said, there are problems with all actions and to some degree and mistakes and miss in handling can happen with any of them.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Good idea, where would you put it in the list and how would you word it??
    I would say at the top of the list. Maybe state it as:

Situational Awareness, the Being intensely aware of every sound, flicker of movement, inconsistent shapes, colors, or the behavior of birds, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    I would say at the top of the list. Maybe state it as:

Situational Awareness, the Being intensely aware of every sound, flicker of movement, inconsistent shapes, colors, or the behavior of birds, etc.
    I don't want to get to specific with tons of detail because people do not tend to remember them that easy. Your idea was great and I have revised number 8 and added a different 11 which expresses your point and now there are 13 total. Thanks for the impute it was very valid indeed. Because when you are in those situations you are very alive indeed and should be with your senses tuned to the max.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

New revised list

Here are some rules I came up with years ago when traveling and doing some hunting on dangerous game, thought some might be interested in them.

RULES TO STAY ALIVE WHEN HUNTING DANGEROUS GAME
    By: Mike Price
    (hog, lion, bear, moose, buffalo, any animal that cops an attitude)

1. Take a good controlled fed rifle (or premium push feed) to do the job you are asking it to perform.

2. It must be a rifle that you know and are familiar with, because you have spent a lot of time holding it in your hands working the action and safeties so as to learn itís peculiarities!

3. Shoot it from different positions and at varying ranges until you are proficient at all positions and ranges you will possibly shoot!

4. There is no such thing as the all around or magic cartridge, just some good ones that do the job very well, if you do yours!

5. Only center hits in the vital kill area counts, or a dangerous animal might teach you the difference!

6. Make the deepest hole you can to insure that vital organs, nerve centers, blood arteries and pivotal skeletal structure can be reached and destroyed from all impact angles!

7. Reaching vitals at all angles won't happen if the bullet does not hold up and fragments or sheds itís jacket or bends, so don't buy cheap factory ammunition or cheap bullets if you hand-load!

8. Do not shoot a cartridge that you are not able to handle because of excessive recoil and that will negatively affect your accuracy, but always use the biggest caliber you are able to handle with positive accuracy!

9. Your intent is to shoot a cartridge that you can keep under control and will make the biggest possible diameter exit hole (if angle and distance allows), to let blood out and air in!

10. Make sure your shot is an affective one in that the distance is reasonable to ensure a judicious kill!

11. This will not take place if you are not aware of your situation at all times with continued focus, appraising your immediate position and circumstances.

12. All dangerous game when shot are still dangerous so "SERVICE" your threat until it is no longer a threat, that means until it won't, can't and doesn't breath nor moves, especially if it is at close quarters, if NOT you might get BIT, CUT UP, STOMPED, BROKE IN HALF, or EATEN!!!

13. If all of the above does not work I recommend (if there is time) a quick prayer!
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Since you used the name Sako with those other two, I see you don't know the difference.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I personally know dozens of PH's in various countries in Africa and many carry Sako rifles and hunt many dangerous animals with them. These rifles are push feeders.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast