Here are some rules I came up with years ago when traveling and doing some hunting on dangerous game, thought some might be interested in them especially the newer members and those who have not read this before.
RULES TO STAY ALIVE WHEN HUNTING DANGEROUS GAME
By: Mike Price
(hog, lion, bear, moose, buffalo, any animal that cops an attitude)
1. Take a good controlled fed rifle (or premium push feed) to do the job you are asking it to perform.
2. It must be a rifle that you know and are familiar with, because you have spent a lot of time holding it in your hands working the action and safeties so as to learn itís peculiarities!
3. Shoot it from different positions and at varying ranges until you are proficient at all positions and ranges you will possibly shoot!
4. There is no such thing as the all around or magic cartridge, just some good ones that do the job very well, if you do yours!
5. Only center hits in the vital kill area counts, or a dangerous animal might teach you the difference!
6. Make the deepest hole you can to insure that vital organs, nerve centers, blood arteries and pivotal skeletal structure can be reached and destroyed from all impact angles!
7. Reaching vitals at all angles won't happen if the bullet does not hold up and fragments or sheds itís jacket or bends, so don't buy cheap factory ammunition or cheap bullets if you hand-load!
8. Do not shoot a cartridge that you are not able to handle because of excessive recoil and that will negatively affect your accuracy!
9. Your intent is to shoot a cartridge that you can keep under control and will make the biggest possible diameter exit hole (if angle and distance allows), to let blood out and air in!
10. Make sure your shot is an affective one in that the distance is reasonable to ensure a judicious kill!
11. All dangerous game when shot are still dangerous so "SERVICE" your threat until it is no longer a threat, that means until it won't, can't and doesn't breath nor moves, especially if it is at close quarters, if NOT you might get BIT, CUT UP, STOMPED, BROKE IN HALF, or EATEN!!!
12. If all of the above does not work I recommend (if there is time) a quick prayer!