Thread: Canon Rebel or the Nikon D40

Default Canon Rebel or the Nikon D40

I've been looking at getting into photography for a while after getting tired of some of the poor results my digitel camera has been giving for a while, although I do get some good pictures with it every now and then. I've been looking at these two camera's and everybody seems to be giving them pretty good reports. Just thought that I would ask the guys that know what they are doing before buying either one. Pictures will mostly be landscape photos and a couple of faster moving pictures mixed in. What are the pros and cons of both any input would be greatly appreciated.thanks
    alaskankid13

Instead of Nikon D40 or D60, why not considering a D80 or D90?

Also, while the Rebel XT is a nice camera, the XTi is a much better camera, and so the XSi.

For the low end camera range I prefer the Canon Rebel XSi (or even XTi), but it is really a personal decision. Most people who handle both prefer the feel of the Nikon, as the little Rebel's grip is too small for most, and the whole thing feels a bit too plasticky. But as far as features and over all image quality, I prefer the Canon. Part of this preference is also based on the fact that the low end Nikons can't use all the current lenses made for Nikon cameras.

But as Ray mentioned, you might be better served by moving upscale. The Nikon D90 is a really good camera, and the D80, although a bit dated, is still good choice at a discounted price. And they both use all those lenses that the cheap Nikons cannot. Price wise the D80/D90 are competing with the Canon 40D (and close to the 50D in some places), so Canon's offerings are pretty competitive in this class too.

You really are not going to be disappointed with either brand.

Before pulling the trigger, be sure to look at the Canon 40D. Some great prices can be found now that the 50 D is out. The 40D is an awesome camera and in a different category than the two you mentioned. Look at B&H Photo/Video website.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I have two Canon XTIs. Great camera. You can also solve the small feel of it by adding a battery grip. If you have the means look at a 40D. You can also check out several forums for used gear. I have gotten several really realy good deals lately on gear, thank you bad economy.

About a year ago I went through this decision myself. May I suggest that you go to http://www.dpreview.com/forums/ and check out what folks say about all of the cameras. I originally wanted to get a D60 until reading the forums. I found that a Nikon D40 fit *my needs* better than anything else. I have used the snot out of this camera and have no regrets...I do a ton of outdoor pictures. All these cameras seem to be really good, it will end up how you personally feel how one fits you best. Go to someplace like Ritz, or 5th Ave Photography in Los anchorage and ask to handle all of them. Ask lots of questions too
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Costco has D60 and D90 outfits in stock.

Isn't Ritz going out of business?

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    Isn't Ritz going out of business?
    I harvested this from www.dpreview.com

Largest US camera store seeks bankruptcy protection
    Tuesday, 24 February 2009 16:20 GMT
    < Previous Next >

Ritz Camera, the largest dedicated camera retailer in the US has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. The company, which owns over 800 stores across the country, under a series of names, including Wolf Camera, has proposed a restructuring plan that will aim to see the chain continue in some form. As part of this, the company has applied to the bankruptcy court for permission to continue to honor its customer loyalty and rebate schemes.

In an affidavit to the court Marc Weinsweig, appointed as Chief Restructuring Officer and COO as part of the Chapter 11 process, describes his actions as being aimed at 'maintaining the day-to-day operations of the company's business with minimal disruption' in what he characterizes as 'daunting economic times.'

Court papers suggest that Ritz Cameras owes over $40 million to its two largest creditors: Nikon's US subsidiary Nikon Inc. and Canon USA, with a further $8.4 million owed to Fujifilm USA, a subsidiary of which owns around a third of the company. To put the $26.6 million owed to Nikon Inc. into perspective, it would represent somewhere in the region of 20% of Nikon Inc's expected annual operating income.

Chapter 11 of the US Bankruptcy Code provides companies with protection from their creditors while they attempt to restructure. However, US retailer Circuit City, which filed for bankruptcy protection in November 2008 announced the closure of all its stores and the liquidation of its assets on January 16th.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather