Thread: Wright and McGill Reliance Reel

Question Wright and McGill Reliance Reel

Anyone ever had any experience with these reels? I wanted to see if I juct got a bad apple or if they just suck.

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

Mine has been a very good reel. Only problem I've had was when I let a friend use it. I didn't know it, but he kept turning the knob that holds the spool on thinking it was the drag. I looked up and the spool is off and he's bringing in the backing hand over hand. Luckily the spool was saved by the line, but the Kenai beat it up pretty good.

I got mine at B&J's. I recommend taking it in if you're having problems with it.

Well, I had the disc drag crap out on me. I kept noticing little piece of cork coming out after I played a fish. It wasn't from over cranking either. I play fish very generously and palm my real alot. Finally, after about 4 hook-ups and fights with steelhead, the drag stopped working all together. Once I got home and opened up my drag, the whole cork disc was disentegrated. i really did like the real...it was very eye pleasing and when it worked, very efficient.

Proudly Serving Since 1997
    The circle is complete again, finally. The force is once again balanced!
    "Only a Sith deals in absolutes in regards to fishing!"

Default Ross Cimmaron

They SUCK. Wright and McGill Reliance Reel

Buy a Ross Cimmaron on ebay or close-out and be done with the other crap. Full warranty and no hassles. I have dealt with Ross for over 15 years and never a single charge. Even when it was operator error.
    Last edited by Tailingloop; 02-22-2009 at 23:55. Reason: Because I Can

Wow. I used mine for a season and a half and caught many reds on the Kenai with it and no problems at all, except user error. I've been using my American Classic since and am planning on keeping my Reliance for bass in the lower 48.