Thread: Compass Suggestions

Question Compass Suggestions

Looking for a failproof compass. Something small and light, yet easy to read. Want it for topo/coordinates, but mostly for backup incase gps fails. Want quality, but don't want to spend a ton. Any suggestions?
    Thanks, Joshua

Default Silva

I've always used the Silva Ranger. It has a signal mirror, is easy to use for triangulating on a map, and has adjustable declination.

Default Silva

I rely on my Boy Scout Silva if I doubt the GPS. But I hardly carry either up here. Too hard to get lost.

Thumbs up Silva it is!

I looked back at my compass collection and found one (broken of course), It seems the new models are a bit smaller than the one I have (this is a good thing) so it goes on the list.

Thanks fellas...figured I'd get more of a response, maybe more folks are carrying gps units and don't use the good ol' compass.

bnr

I have not carried a compass, well never since I have been in AK. Sounds kinda foolish but the trueth. I don't go out without my GPS and batteries. I know... one day it may fail me but I suppose I have just become to used to technology. On the other hand I always hunt with a partner and they usually have a GPS as well.

Not mocking anyone here that might not carry one. I'm just not as confident with the technology (or the guy operating it!) as I am with a compass. I am gradually easing my way off the compass and map, but I think I will always carry one for reassurance...if the cold kills the batteries or I drop the unit off the cliff or in the riv or lake, well you get my drift.
    Joshua
    Quote Originally Posted by AKBighorn View Post
    I have not carried a compass, well never since I have been in AK. Sounds kinda foolish but the trueth. I don't go out without my GPS and batteries. I know... one day it may fail me but I suppose I have just become to used to technology. On the other hand I always hunt with a partner and they usually have a GPS as well.

I always have a map and compass and do not even own a gps. I like to be able to look at a map and know where I am at all times. I was hunting one time with a guy and he took out his gps and said "north is that way" I knew it wasn't "that way" and said "no, it's that way". Well, he did not realize that you had to be moving for the gps compass to be accurate. So, he went out and bought a newer $500+ model and is still tryiing to figure out how to use it. They are only as good as the guy using it. I NEVER rely on "the other guy" for navigation. I'll probably end up getting one though. They definatly have thier advantages. I'll still carry my map and compass though.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I carry a GPS in the field, but always bring my Silva Ranger and a map. I love the GPS, but I have been either a Darwin contender or a victim of Murphy too many times to just leave the compass behind.

Default compass

"I have been either a Darwin contender or a victim of Murphy too many times to just leave the compass behind."

Hubb-Good One! LOL That's the best reason I've heard to carry a compass. If for nothing else than a backup.

Also, carrying a compass won't save you. You need to be able to use it too.

Default Yep

I try to keep it lite when I can Mod. But I'm not the smartest guy I know either. lol
    But you are absolutley right! A compass course or land nav course is needed to really know how to use a map and compass correctly.
    ADF&G were going to put one on this year, but cancelled due to lack of interest - nobody signed up. So they decided to try a basic GPS class, same thing!
    What get's me is; those course are dirt cheap compared to other commercial courses. I can't understand why tyhere is so little interest. I was "fortunate" enough to get some top rate training in this area fom the Army, but many guys I know haven't had any, yet there they go, off to the field "prepared" with a gps and, maybe, a compass.

Default map and compass vs. GPS

I take my GPS snowmaching, as I find I get screwed up moving that fast. I usually don't take it hunting. In the 10 years I've owned GPS, I've genuinely used it once. I use map and compass on every trip.

Suunto makes nice compasses, but the high end Silvas are good as well. Remember,there is no replacement for experience using a map and compass.

Brunton Classic 9020

About $10. Available at Fredgy Meyer.

Flat plate, adj. declination, inch/mm scales, lightweight, well-damped.

Nice unit.