Thread: 4-barrel carb 305 Chevy

Default 4-barrel carb 305 Chevy

I was going to have my carb rebuilt, but the cost is almost what a new one is. Does this sound in the ballpark; $600ish to have it rebuilt, $700-$750ish for a new one? This is what my mechanic was told from the 'rebuilders'.

That sounds real high for a carb rebuild or even a new one. Have you tried checking online for your model? Installing one is a breeze, shouldn't take you more than 30 minutes and one beer.

What brand and model of carb is on it now?

Default Summit Racing

Check out Summit Racing. They have a whole line of marine carbs for way under $500. I'll attach the listing for Chevrolet compatible carbs.
    http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...=KeywordSearch

I hope that helps you save some bucks.

I did some looking today and six bills is way out of the park! I think I needed more coffee yesterday when he told me, caught me sleeping.
    -Thank you for the info guys.

Default And maybe think real hard...

About just buying the new one. There are some great rebuild shops out there, and some "sweat shops" I know of down in the SE (USA not AK) with immigrant labor that do a crappy job. Guarantee doesn't mean much to them, they just give you another piece of crap. There may be some good shops in AK, but check for the reputation. There may be some cheap new ones too, so be careful. But, like you found out, $600-700 is way over price!

if you are mech. inclined, rebuilding is simple get a kit for about $100 and fix her yourself.

Default I Highly Recommend

Look at the Eldebrock Marine Carb. Way better design for rough/off camber conditions. Can change jets or clean bowl WITHOUT dumping fuel everywhere. Seen better performance and better mileage. I highly recommend buying the calibration kit. This will enable you to tune that thing in to perfection.

If you are going to spend the $700 go a little more and get a fuel injection setup.

Here are a couple of sites for the carbs. Less then $350........plus calibration kit.

http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.aspx?ID=4067 or here http://www.carburetion.com/edlprice.asp or your favorite mail order performance shop

Default Check out Craigslist

!9 Feb on Craigslist is an Edelbrock marine carb with flame arrester for $200. Might be just what you need. I just saw it and thought of this thread. May help you save some $$$

Thank you Tealer for the tip! Apparently it is a bit to big for my motor 305 vs 350, close though. And thank you Dupont, I went on the Edlebrock site and those look good.

Default Overton`s

Holley marine applications go new for $550-$600.

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    Thank you Tealer for the tip! Apparently it is a bit to big for my motor 305 vs 350, close though. And thank you Dupont, I went on the Edlebrock site and those look good.

The 600 CFM can easily be tuned for your 305. I had a friend who had a Carver with a small Ford motor. That thing was the biggest s#$% with the holley on it. He almost had that thing rebuilt every year till I talked him into the Eldebrock. That thing never ran better.

One trip out of Whittier we had to stop a bunch of times to empty bowls because of water (no fault of the Holley Carb) issues. It was remove the carb operation every time. Good thing we had good seas, a good bucket and a great ventilation system for removing the gas fumes.

I will admit in my younger days I was all about Holley carbs. But as I moved from place to place while I was active duty military I found that I had to rebuild and tune them all the time. While in Arizona I even found myself retuning them in the spring and again in the fall to try and keep the same preformance thru out the year. Somebody there talked me in to trying the Eldebrock and I have never gone back to Holley carbs (had to put carbs as I do like their fuel injection systems).

I installed a Edelebrock 600 CFM marine carb on my MP305 last summer. I was hoping for economy, due to the holley power valve stories I heard, and hoping for performance gains. Didn't happen! The secondaries are vaccuum operated and the air valve is weighted. I couldn't get the secondaries to open except by hand. I called Edelbrock and they told me to remove some of the weight from the air valve. I took the weight completely off. The secondaries (air valve ) would open but it still has an intermittent problem opening. The carb also starts hard if you let the boat sit for a few days. Gotta pump the ***** out of it to get gas. I experienced no performance gains or economy gains from the holley. I have a fuel flow meter and gps so I know exactly what the mpg, gph, mph is. I talked to Marine Power this winter about the carb and they told me, " they had the same problems plus surging problems with them. That's why they have holley's on 'em. That's my story, hope it helps you to make an informed decision.

Quote Originally Posted by pineridge View Post
    I installed a Edelebrock 600 CFM marine carb on my MP305 last summer. I was hoping for economy, due to the holley power valve stories I heard, and hoping for performance gains. Didn't happen! The secondaries are vaccuum operated and the air valve is weighted. I couldn't get the secondaries to open except by hand. I called Edelbrock and they told me to remove some of the weight from the air valve. I took the weight completely off. The secondaries (air valve ) would open but it still has an intermittent problem opening. The carb also starts hard if you let the boat sit for a few days. Gotta pump the ***** out of it to get gas. I experienced no performance gains or economy gains from the holley. I have a fuel flow meter and gps so I know exactly what the mpg, gph, mph is. I talked to Marine Power this winter about the carb and they told me, " they had the same problems plus surging problems with them. That's why they have holley's on 'em. That's my story, hope it helps you to make an informed decision.
    Did you get the calibration kit and tune it to the 305? Secondary valves not opening is a vacumn issue, either a plugged carb, or ??????? Completely removing the weight and it still not operating is a good indicator of a problem. Also the secondaries will not stay open unless the motor stays under a heavy load(demand). Once up and reaching cruise the secondaries close down for better economy.

If you have to pump the crap out of the carb to start when cold, choke is not set properly. When cold you should have to make one full stroke of the throttle to set the choke in the closed position for start. If using the electric choke setup beware if you put you key in the on position but do not start the boat the choke will go to full open as the pull back coil gets warm.

Surging is not normally a carb problem unless fuel is not being deliveried properly.....back to the calibration kit. Rods or springs could be wrong, fuel pump, choke operation after that.

Look at the Rochester carbs. They have both manual and vacumn setup for secondaries and work great. Not much different design, just few less moving parts.

Give me a shot at it>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Exclamation 4-Barrel Carb 350 Chevy

I have a 350hp 350 in a air boat and i had to change the power valve. The carb is a 650cfm you have to watch the motor don't lean out. Put a air fuel meter on it they work good.

After discussion with my mechanic, we found the exact replacement (Rochester) for $265. This is more in the ballpark.