Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chain saw blade

Default Chain saw blade

If you have an old chainsaw blade that can no longer be used on your chain saw you can drill out all the rivets and have three pieces left. throw the center piece away and fashion the outside sections into knives. I just finished making a machete out of most of one side and a skinning knife out of 4 inches of the tip of the other side. the metal is 1/16 thick and pretty hard. a file will have a hard time to sharpen it I used a 4 inch grinder to cut it out and also to ruff grind it and used a water wheel to finish them then used aluminum rivits for the handle. I have part of one blade left and may try a fillet knife. Something to pass a winter afternoon.

Default Ummm

I've got to admit I'm lost on this project! Are you making the knives out of the bar, or the chain(which would be the cutting surface). Are you taking the bar apart or what. I'm probably going to need pictures.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I've seen it done out of the bar. It is high carbon steel that takes and holds an edge well and only needs limited amounts of heat annealing. I google searched knife making tutorial and found a ton of them. I haven't yet done one, but I have a bar off my old stihl that I plan on making one with.

We're talking about the bar, right?

George

Good idea and many more ideas screaming through the noggin...

Good thinking.. I got a few bars laying around. I got an old 42".. maybe I'll make me some samurai swords.

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    We're talking about the bar, right?
    Yes it's a good high carbon metal; it will rust but make a good knife.

You have to have a laminated bar to do this with, unless you want a really thick knife. Some bars are one piece. Most bars are heat treated, but only on the edge where the chain rides. I imagine it's good steel for a knife. We demand pictures!

Yes it is the bar I am talking about It does have to be a laminated bar. Drill out the rivets and seperate the bar into three pieces dont use the center piece as its just a filler. also I think it is just the outside of the bar that is heat treated so use the outside of the bar for the cutting edge.

I just tried out the machete and was not greatly impressed the metal is too thin to have the weight for a machete. I did cut a 2 to 3" birch tree but it took many wacks. I could cut a 1" aspen with 1 wack . The good news is that after half an hour of playing with it it was still sharp with no nicks so it should make good cutting tools like skinning knives. As a young man 40 years ago I worked in a factory back in NH I made a skinning knife out of a throw away tungston carbide hack saw blade from that factory. the blade was about 24" long 1.5" tall and 3/32 thick. the knife had a 4" blade with a rounded point. It worked great skinning beaver. I could get through 3or4 beaver without resharpening it by comparison a buck knife would be hard pressed to skin one beaver without sharpening. good luck with your projects

for just making knives, try one of the rigid 10" saws-all blades. You find plenty around the jobsite. And the thinner ones that flex would make a good fillet knife, although I have not tried those yet.

Proud and Free in Delta Junction, Alaska.

If you want to really get into the knife and machete making, I use old Lawnmower blades, flat files, and leaf springs, but they are more work intensive.

Quote Originally Posted by RastaHunter View Post
    for just making knives, try one of the rigid 10" saws-all blades. You find plenty around the jobsite. And the thinner ones that flex would make a good fillet knife, although I have not tried those yet.
    I've made several fillet knifes out of sawzall blades, I actually prefeer them to ones comercially availbe. Hand saw blades and cirular saw blades also make great knifes.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

If you really want to re-cycle, I've seen pictures of damascus blades that Wayne Goddard has forge welded from old chains.

Proud and Free in Delta Junction, Alaska.

Wayne makes some amazing Knives from Whatever is lying around. I love the Damascus made from old steel cables, would have never thought of the chainsaw blades though.

Paul and delta
    I'll have to try that if I'm ever able to get back into smithing.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I have made a number out of chain saw bars. I like to use Husqvarna bars cause I'm a Swede. I also used a plasma cutter to do the rough shaping and after grinding, flame tempered them. They work very well but does requires some time and effort. Would not do it without the plasma cutter though. Knife making is an art form; LOL. J.

how do you separate the pieces of the bar? Does it just come apart after you drill out the rivets? What did you use to cut it down to size? A hacksaw or chop saw or what? Never made a knife before but thought this sounded cool.

You can also make a nice fro out of a chainsaw bar. You will want to use a solid bar though and not one of the laminated bars. I usually take a piece of square tubing or a piece of pipe and weld it to the bar to form an eye and then use a wooden handle.

I do not like using a metal handle, way too much vibration.

Klickitak,
    I am not visualizing what you are trying to explain, how about a photo?

George

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast