Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W .500 John Ross PC Model Review

Default S&W .500 John Ross PC Model Review

Does anyone here have any experience with this model? It looks like an absolute monster...

5" barrel w/ muzzle nut
    no compensator
    tighter cylinder gap means higher velocity than the 8 3/8" model!
    faster rifling means more stable heavy bullets
    satin finish

That John Ross knows a thing or two about the 500...This appears to be a very serious working gun! I'm dying to hear from someone who has shot it, and can compare to other 500's.

Wow....are there no S&W 500 fans out there???

There are loads of 500 fans here, don't know why they are not responding. I am a 460 fan myself but that looks like a good 500. I wonder why he went with no compensator on the nose.

Andy

Default The S&W .500

S&W FAILED to used the Enhanced package developed on the 629s causing intermittent lockup under recoil in the .500.

Although the 700gners are great for machismo factor, truth be told a 440@1300fps will do the job.

Removal of the comp does help accuracy btw.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    I wonder why he went with no compensator on the nose.

Andy
    John Ross feels that a compensator is only marginally effective on these big bore revolvers...muzzlebrakes were created for use on rifles, where the cartridges had a much higher amount of powder vs. the weight of the bullet (producing more hot gas to reduce recoil). He feels that there is more to marketing/looks than actual effectiveness. I don't know about all that, but he thinks that a little bit more recoil is much less distracting than the massive muzzleblast that these compensators create.

Personally, I have no experience shooting a 500 w/o a muzzlebrake.

Quote Originally Posted by gritlife View Post
    John Ross feels that a compensator is only marginally effective on these big bore revolvers...muzzlebrakes were created for use on rifles, where the cartridges had a much higher amount of powder vs. the weight of the bullet (producing more hot gas to reduce recoil). He feels that there is more to marketing/looks than actual effectiveness. I don't know about all that, but he thinks that a little bit more recoil is much less distracting than the massive muzzleblast that these compensators create.

Personally, I have no experience shooting a 500 w/o a muzzlebrake.
    It could well be true with the low pressure in the 500. However, with my 460 Mag. there is a huge difference in recoil with and without the compensator. If firing a 45 Long Colt in my 460V the compensator is far less effective but does make a noticeable reduction in recoil and muzzle lift.

Andy

Yeah, that's been my experience as well. To his credit, he turns around and says his model in particular has "heavy" recoil, but I can't imagine what it's like with some of his nuclear loads...450gr @ 1850 fps or 400gr @ 2020 fps...say what?!?!...that's in the neighborhood of 3,500 ft/lbs...in a handgun. Rediculous.

I'd just like to hear from someone who has shot it and has a frame of reference. It seems as though JR 500 owners are as rare as sasquatch.

Talking

John sure made a nice revolver .
    If I did not already own a 500 I would of ordered one of his .
    When the 500 hit the market he helped me with loads with the big heavy beasts of lead .
    I absolutely love the 500 .
    I have the PC Hunter with the 10.5 barrel along with the 460 PC XVR with the 14" barrel .
    Love them both.

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

As soon as I sell my 4" Smith I'll be ordering the JR 500 - should have went with my gut instincts the 1st time. I've read, as I have no firsthand knowledge, that the John Ross model has a little more "thump" than the compensated 4" model and will climb a couple degrees more as well. In my opinion, pain is just weakness leaving the body and any 500 Smith does a good job of strengthening our bodies. What I like about the 500 S&W is you can load it down to normal paper shooting/hunting loads or up to loads that will challenge your pain tolerance and sanity level. The 4" compensated model just leaves me feeling like I hiked all day long through a swamp after shooting 60 to 100 rounds under a canopy range. I firmly believe the muzzle blast from the compensator is the cause and I have electronic ear protectors and double plug. Maybe my thick head isn't as thick as the War Department thinks it is. I've e-mailed John Ross about his PC500 model and can say he is a man of few words relative to answering questions via e-mail. Without knowing what his model will do to my noggin, I'd give my opinion that if you're a high volume shooter of heavy loads I'd say spend the extra money and get the Ross 500. Other than a high volume shooter I'd say the 500 Ross is for those that can afford it and want something out of the ordinary that is both big & bad that talks the talk and walks the walk through the valley of prehistoric monsters and fears none of those creatures when loaded with 725 grain pills of kickas* monster medicine.

Nice. I got the 4" 500 and can't imagine a better revolver for bear protection on float trips. But I have to admit, looks like he did his homework. Nice looking gun.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

What I noticed with the 500 without the comp was more muzzle flip with less backing up. The comp holds the muzzle down. I prefer without the comp and I think John does too. The expansion ratio of the 500 compared to the 460 makes the comp more effective for the high velocity 460 and less so for the 500. This JR 500 is made more for slower velocity heavier bullet weights. It has a 1 in 10 twist vs the 1 in 20" of the standard S&W. Also the barrel nut to maintain the tight gap (.0035") omited the comp and made a much better looking and better balanced gun. To date it is the only S&W 500 gun I would consider and I am. BTW this tighter gap gives higher velocity than a wider gap but the 5" doesn't equal the 8 3/8" and it wasn't so claimed.

For normal handgun hunting, there is no reason for muzzle velocity exceeding about 1300 fps. For more power, just add bullet weight. This gun will handle Ranger Rick bullets.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Per John Ross, the velocity with his model is slightly higher than the production 8 3/8" version...he just emailed me. I have seen this before online, but I couldn't remember where...of course we know that everything you see on the internet is true.

Anyways, that's interesting info on muzzlebrakes...460 vs 500.

Have you guys seen pics of these things?

Satin or Black...

JR500Article.jpg

Black is definitely sexy, almost tactical looking (if that's possible for an X-frame revolver). Satin looks clean and classic.

Being a traditionalist, I think I'm gonna order a satin one.

Default John Ross .500

I have recently gotten one (used) and I will be taking it to the range within the next couple of weeks. I am anxious to reload for it too - thanks for all of Ranger Rick's posts (and the links to Ballistic Suppy). I will try to get a photo uploaded and paste the link here. Although I am merely in Wisconsin, I have traveled to Alaska both in Summer and Winter, and as a Kid I drove the ALCAN with my folks in '73. Alaska has been in my blood ever since, I envy you guys liv'n the dream.

USAFA_Dad

Quote Originally Posted by USAFA_Dad View Post
    I have recently gotten one (used) and I will be taking it to the range within the next couple of weeks. I am anxious to reload for it too - thanks for all of Ranger Rick's posts (and the links to Ballistic Suppy). I will try to get a photo uploaded and paste the link here. Although I am merely in Wisconsin, I have traveled to Alaska both in Summer and Winter, and as a Kid I drove the ALCAN with my folks in '73. Alaska has been in my blood ever since, I envy you guys liv'n the dream.

USAFA_Dad
    Welcome to the forum! I'm amazed that you were able to find one used--congrats...I've been looking all over the place, and the only place I've found 'em is straight from JR. I'd love to see those pics...

Quote Originally Posted by gritlife View Post
    Per John Ross, the velocity with his model is slightly higher than the production 8 3/8" version...he just emailed me. I have seen this before online, but I couldn't remember where...of course we know that everything you see on the internet is true.

Anyways, that's interesting info on muzzlebrakes...460 vs 500.
    Then I stand corrected, my mistake I didin't read it that way on his website.

(From his site.)
    Tensioned barrel with muzzle nut—allows a tight .0035" cylinder gap for greater velocity

I took this to meant higher velocity than a wider cylinder gap just like all revolvers. Those with tighter gaps give higher velocity. It will very from gun to gun, also. Splitting hairs..... the faster twist will give slower velocity at same pressures also, but not by any large amount. In any case a well refined S&W 500.

The muzzle brake info is based on the fact that the exit pressure of the 460 is higher than the exit pressure of the 500.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default S & w 500

So if the 500 S & W has a 1 in 20" twist what is the largest bullet it will handle. Seems the 700 and 600 would be to much for such a slow twist. Anyone know?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by redale View Post
    So if the 500 S & W has a 1 in 20" twist what is the largest bullet it will handle. Seems the 700 and 600 would be to much for such a slow twist. Anyone know?

I have the S&W PC Hunter 10.5 Barrel not sure what the twist is but I have perfect holes at 115 yards with 700 Grain WFNGC , that's where I have it sighted in at although it is off the bench and scoped .
    Your not going to use much more of a heavier bullet than that and it stabilizes great.
    The 2" and 4" will stabilize a 700 Grain Thumper out to 27 yards then tumble same with the 600 Grain LFNGC .

The 6",8",10" smith's and the 12" BFR have no problems with large bullets .

I can not speak for every one's revolvers but they seem to work well with mine .
    I have over 11,000 rounds through mine and not one tumble .

Hope this helps redale

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Then I stand corrected, my mistake I didin't read it that way on his website.
    Murphy,

I think I had first seen reference to this in his thesis (of sorts) about the development of the big-bore revolver, the S&W 500, and his model in particular...It's a fantastic read if you haven't seen it before.....

http://john-ross.net/pdfs/maghist.pdf

He discusses the topic on pg 12, 3rd paragraph. However, the comparison doesn't even involve his model...so my original information was not accurate...my apologies. Noticing that is what prompted me to email him for confirmation. In any event, I certainly enjoyed reading about those who had come before us and paved the way for big-bore enthusiasts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast