Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are new people automatically treated as "outsiders" in Alaska

Default Are new people automatically treated as "outsiders" in Alaska

One day I may move to Alaska. However, I am concerned about one thing. Alaskan’s refer to the rest of the world as being “outside”. With that in mind how do Alaskans in general feel about “outsiders” moving to Alaska (and in doing so taking up Alaskans space, breathing Alaskans air, working at Alaskans jobs, drinking Alaskans water etc etc). I’m asking this question because twenty years ago my family and I moved to Seattle; we soon learned that Seattleites had a problem with the issues I’ve just addressed. We found it was one thing to vacation in Seattle (and pump tourist dollars into the economy) but it was quite another to move there. After 9 months of being treated like lepers we fled. I’ve wanted to move to Alaska since I was a kid and I’d sure hate to go through the same experience in Alaska that I did in Seattle. FWIW we’ve also lived in Illinois, California, and Texas and we were always able to fit in just fine. In addition, I’ve worked since I was 14 and have never (except in Seattle) had any trouble finding a job.
    Are there different acceptance issues between living in Anchorage and living in small town Alaska.
    Steve

Only for Texan's.

You'll be fine and if you treat us with respect we'll treat you with respect.

Come on up!

Red face Texas

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Only for Texan's.

You'll be fine and if you treat us with respect we'll treat you with respect.

Come on up!
    Kingfisherktn said it, as long as your not from Texas , honestly though don't come up acting better than everyone and treat all with respect and you will be treated the same. I never had a problem when I moved up 14 yrs ago and you won't either, hope to see ya up here some day.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." John Wayne

How you're treated depends on how you treat others. If you find yourself saying, well this is how we did it in Texas, don't be suprised if the response is, why don't you go back to Texas.

I've never been treated as an outsider, but then, I never acted as one.

You will likely find it takes a few years to adjust to living in Alaska, and that some folks take a few years to warm up to you. I found that was mostly because Alaska has a large transient population, and until folks figure out you plan to stay, they don't figure you are just passing through.

There definately seems to be an Alaskan way of doing things, so realize people don't do things they way they do out of ignorance, it's because they've found out what works up here. Probably the biggest adjustment is patience. It takes longer to do things up here because of delays in getting stuff shipped up, delays in calling other time zones, delays in weather, etc. Stuff gets done when it gets done, don't stress it, and don't stress others with your impatience.

And just a friendly reminder, if Alaska was split in two, Texas would be the 3rd largest state

Oh, and some parts of Anchorage seem to have more of a Seattle liberal mindset than an Alaskan mindset. In fact, some people say Anchorage is the Northernmost subburb of Seattle.

Talking Texans

Quote Originally Posted by Warhorse View Post
    Kingfisherktn said it, as long as your not from Texas , honestly though don't come up acting better than everyone and treat all with respect and you will be treated the same. I never had a problem when I moved up 14 yrs ago and you won't either, hope to see ya up here some day.

Dang Texans (U of T grad here)

The only time we have issues is with someone who comes up here for thier "1st" summer and instantly knows everything. Respect goes a long way as well as asking alot of questions. I have found that most "outsiders" on this site that have come to Alaska, whether it be for 2 weeks or forever that have enjoyed themselves has asked and researched and are well prepared. There are no such things as stupid questions just stupid mistakes. I have met and will meet more members this year and have had a blast with them all. This year they are from as far away as maine, Texas again, a few canucks, some sun devils and even Hawaii. so come on up and enjoy some good fun.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Don't let them fool you about Texans. Alaskans LOVE Texans. (dontcha)

I came up from Texas in '91. It takes a while to get used to things, but like the others have said, don't act like you know everything and respect those of us that do and you will be fine.

Default It Depends

I have had some issues with men who are from out of State that treat me like crap when I am fishing yet look like a bunch of idiots on the river and then cuss me out when I bag my limit, before they do saying I am cheating. Yeah I then usually have some nice words to say to them.

Most people that come up are usually ok. I ask where they are from, why they moved up (which is usually an interesting indication of where their mind set is) and how they are taking the first (or second) year so far. They don't usually understand the questions, so I rephrase and ask how they are doing with the cold, dark and light. That is when you see some interesting responses.

Most people that move up here know there is going to be a huge alteration from where they are from... half of them stick it out, the other half move back. It is usually due to their attitude though...

Anchorage is having a weird influx of the Tree Hugging type lately... but they are usually ok to deal with. In most cases. Just don't go by the Federal Building during lunch.
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

Your welcome if your coming up to stay and not to just guide the Kenia.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    If you find yourself saying, well this is how we did it in Texas, don't be suprised if the response is, why don't you go back to Texas.
    Which is odd that Texans get this treatment predominately over others.

Because I hear Maniacs, and people from the NE or Minnesota or Wisconsin, or NoDak say "how they do it" all the time and they don't get quite the crap the Texans do for saying it.

Honestly most of the people I have met here were not born here. I bet more than half the people in Alaska came from somewhere else. So if they can fit in up here you should be fine. It's no different here than any other new place you go. I have moved all my life and not all were in a Military capasity. I am just a "visitor" here, my wife will get orders to move in 2011. But the people here have treated me well and they like any other State are proud of where they live. I like Alaska just as I like all the other places I've been, but it's not my home, nor would I want it to be. But that's just me, I plan to get out and enjoy it here, learn from people who know and take with me great memories of this place.
    Former A.F Staff Sergeant

Come on up. Just remember to leave my mother-in-law down there though or we might have problems.

Mike

Default except for

that one neighbor of mine he treats everybody bad hehehehe
    oh yeah i came from somewhere else along time ago boy was
    i young then

We welcome Texans...

...as long as they are women and look hot in boots
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by upinak View Post
    I have had some issues with men who are from out of State that treat me like crap when I am fishing yet look like a bunch of idiots on the river and then cuss me out when I bag my limit, before they do saying I am cheating. Yeah I then usually have some nice words to say to them.

Most people that come up are usually ok. I ask where they are from, why they moved up (which is usually an interesting indication of where their mind set is) and how they are taking the first (or second) year so far. They don't usually understand the questions, so I rephrase and ask how they are doing with the cold, dark and light. That is when you see some interesting responses.

Most people that move up here know there is going to be a huge alteration from where they are from... half of them stick it out, the other half move back. It is usually due to their attitude though...

Anchorage is having a weird influx of the Tree Hugging type lately... but they are usually ok to deal with. In most cases. Just don't go by the Federal Building during lunch.

You would have a fit if we hung you with a new rope Love ya girl
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    You would have a fit if we hung you with a new rope Love ya girl
    \

HAVE A FIT? more like mount various body parts on the mantel....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Love the Texan point of view. It's not only in Alaska! In Texas it's this way, In Texas it's that way...

You're not in flippin Texas! Deal with the way we do things here or go back home! I never understood that and have lived in many states before settling down. I love people! I don't care who you are or where you're from, just don't try and bring your tainted ways with you and try to make your new home like your old one!

You moved!... Didn't you?

Years ago when I lived in Soldotna, they had a city manager from Texas. He dint last long. He was always running off at the mouth about how they did things in Texas. Dint take long and he was on his way back to Texas. While he was in office they had a moose waunder into the building and he closed the door. Dint have a clue on what to do. One of the secrataries said leave the door open and it will go back out. It waundered back out.

Gun Runner

I've been from Texas twice and excepted both times with no problems because I did work,drink the water,eat the food and help my neighbor.most Texas problems came in the pipeline days when the new folks were spending their big money and talking crap,First winter it all changed

Chuck and Vince....

Don't MAKE me get your Mom's on your. They brought you into this world they take your buns OUT!
    No amount of education can help those who want to remain permanently ignorant of facts, which includes those whom have been educated.

"I've been from Texas twice and excepted both times with no problems because I did work,drink the water,eat the food and help my neighbor.most Texas problems came in the pipeline days when the new folks were spending their big money and talking crap,First winter it all changed "

My family still has some of the bumper stickers "happiness is 10.000 Okies going south, with a Texan under each arm" from that time.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast