Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Pdr Measure

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Which Pdr Measure

Gentlemen:

Assuming you are satisfied with the powder measure you use, could you tell me which one it is, and elaborate as to why you like it?

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

smitty

I have a Dillon and it's not very good with extruded powders such as H4350, H4831, Varget, IMR4064, RL15,19,22. Typically +/- .6gr when dispensing. It's not to bad with IMR4007ssc, about +/- .2gr. The extruded powders get caught in the slide bar and really screw things up for the next charge.

It's very accurate, (spot on) with ball or flake such as Titegroup, Win760, BLC2, H380 and Big Game.

I know you asked "assuming you are satisfied" but I felt that I had to elaborate on the deficiency of this unit.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Smitty my friend!

Go buy the Lyman DSP III electronic powder dispenser. Serioulsy, you will really like it. Better yet, send me a pm and we can get together at my house and you can try mine and see what you think.

for traditional "powder measures" I actually like the RCBS little dandy the best. It is really only suited for small capacity cases, but there is no adjustment (you order the chamber you need by charge weight) and only 1 moving part. so it is imposible to mess it up, and is very consistant.

Call me, and we will chat!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I have 3 ,Dillon, lyman 55 and rcbs, none of which work very well with the stick powders. All work very well with ball powders and pretty good with most flake powders. So, I too would like to hear from someone having one that throws accurate loads of stick powder. Especially a manual one that I could afford.

Alangaq:
    I'll give you a holler one of these here days, and Thanks.

To everybody else:

To elaborate on my request, I have 2 of the Lee Plastic measures, and 1 Forster, BR measure. They work for me, but I can't repeat a setting, so I hafta have a scale to set them EACH TIME.

I was sorta thinking of a Redding or an RCBS measure that has a micrometer setting that I can RE-SET and use at the Range or some remote location.

I would check different weights, with my scale at home, and record the micrometer settings for use later, without using my scale to verify.

I've been told before, one that has the Micrometer will be repeatable. If not, then I don't wanna get one. Also, the need isn't great enough to justify something that's really expensive.

That's OK, rbuck351. Actually, I can use anyone's opinion on any powder measure.

I really have a hard time getting myself to rely on a powder measure anyway, so that's probably why I don't know enough about them.

Thanks again
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Default Powder Measure

I use the Harrell Premium Culver powder measure. It will measure up to 120 grns of powder and is very repeatable; It also comes with a drop tube. These have replaceable powder bottles which lets label the powder hopper to the contents. They are used by many high power rifle and benchrest shooters.These are precise instraments and repeatable; and as such aren't cheap. I think I paid about $2oo several years ago from Sinclair Shooting Supply. They're around $250 now.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I had not heard of the Harrell unit so a quick search netted the following article / test. It does appear to be a superior product by it's construction and attention to detail but does not seem to work any better than it's much cheaper competition.

Towards the end of the test there are several charts comparing this unit with a cheaper unit and several different powders and charges. The results are interesting but not surprising. It does a good job with ball powders and not such a good job with extruded powders.

http://www.realguns.com/Commentary/comar63.htm

I uese the Lyman DPS II with a speed upgrade and Lee dippers. Love it except for the beeping

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

In my opinion, the Lyman DPS III (and other electronic dispensers) have rendered conventional powder measures obsolete in regards to stick powders. They are nearly as fast with the larger capacity cases, and in my experience are far more accurate and repeatable. The cost of these units, is also dropping to the point that they are in some cases less expensive than the traditional dispensers. The preceding statement of course assumes that you have access to electricity… if not, then your nifty Lyman DPS is really nothing more than a cool looking paper weight! For spherical or flake powder, I think the traditional powder measures are a bit faster to use once they are set up, but I still reach for the electronic wonder every time… it’s just so easy to use!

Wildalaska,

The “beep” is so you will know its time to put your beer down…
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default lee

dont get the lee, it is really bad

Default Be specific, please.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    Yukon,

Sorry, but I have to point out that if you don't tell why, it is difficult to evaluate your recommendation.

The Lee units may have shortcomings (although the different Lee products each have their own characteristics; which one are you knocking?)

Some devices do better with some powders or charge weights than others.

Lost Sheep

Default Cheap, accurate never runs out unbeknownst.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Gentlemen:

Assuming you are satisfied with the powder measure you use, could you tell me which one it is, and elaborate as to why you like it?

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Pro:
    Cheaper than dirt
    As repeatable as any measure if I do my part (consistent technique is key)
    You will never unknowingly run out of powder
    It cannot cut or break powder granules (don't scrape the bottom of the bowl)
    If you want absolute accuracy (by weight), scoop short and trickle up to weight on a balance beam scale
    Once a scoop is adjusted, it never goes out of adjustment
    Never need batteries,
    Not affected by stray electronic signals (as some electronic scales are)
    Not affected by stray breezes

Con:
    Don't rely on the chart for weight measurement. Throw the powder into a scale and make your own chart.
    Slower than a powder thrower, and you will probably need a funnel.
    Adjusting the measure is time-consuming.

Don't laugh.

I have used Lee dippers/scoops for over 30 years. I never cut or break granules and are very consistent, if a little slow.

When I started loading, I measured 20 or 30 scoops, individually, with a scale. I found that my measures were very consistent, time after time. So, I would load 10 rounds and measure every 10th scoop of powder. I did it that way for a few months. Then I relaxed and measured every 20th round, then 50th. After a year, I got confident that my scoops (and my technique) were not going to surprize me. But I still measure a couple of scoops when I start each loading session and at the end.

The single most important thing is consistency. Keep your stroke consistent, keep the depth of powder consistent. If you feel your stroke was not consistent, dump the scoop back in the bowl and scoop again.

It never bothered me that people say the Lee scoops throw a little less powder than the chart says. I ignore what the chart says. I determine what the scoop throws by actually measuring what it does.

If you want to adjust the amount of powder a scoop throws, simply reduce its volume by putting something in the bottom of the scoop. (Wood glue, rubber cement, hard candle wax, a plug of paper mache, anything that will take up a little space and won't "grab" the powder or contaminate it.)

Lost Sheep

On my progressives (for pistol), I use the Lee Auto-Disk. It's convenient.

+1

It's the only one I have and i hate it.

Default OK, but.

Quote Originally Posted by senecanation View Post
    +1

It's the only one I have and i hate it.
    I respect your choices, I understand there are things it will not do well, but are you telling me the Lee powder measure does NOTHING well? Which model do you find unsatisfactory? (They do make more than one, you know.)

Lost Sheep.

Thanks everyone.

Marshall:
    I appreciate the Link.

Alangaq:
    One of those Inverters, that connect to a car battery, would provide Electricity at the range, but I dunno how well an Electronic Dispenser would work where the breezes blow.

Yukon:
    I have 2 of the Lee powder measures, and they are consistent enough for my purposes, once I get them adjusted to a specific weight. Also, the settings are not positive enough to be repeatable. (Tight/Loose/???) I suppose that’s what you mean.

Lost Sheep:
    By “Scoop”, I assume you mean the Lee Dippers. I have both the New set, and the Old set, and when I can find a Dipper that gives me the charge I want, I use it. I also have some Dippers that I’ve made from cartridge cases. However, I’ve never gotten any real consistency with a Dipper, and I’ve used them only for Handgun Ammo, and 30-30.

IME, the Lee Dippers don’t cut it. Say, I need a particular charge of a specific powder, the overwhelming odds are, that I will NOT be able to find a Dipper for it. I’ve not had much luck in adjusting the volume either. Have you EVER used the Dippers in combination? I wonder how that would work practically speaking.
    I think before, I had almost settled on one of the Redding Powder measures with a Micrometer to set the charge with.

I was excited about the RCBS or Lyman Electronic Dispensers, for a while, but from what I’ve heard those Electronic Scales aren’t consistently accurate. (I’m still using my Redding Balance that is Oil Dampened.) (It will react to even one granule of H4831) (I understand that a Magnetic Dampened Balance won't do that.)

I trust it, but I have reservations about the Electronic Scales, which are a part of the Lyman and RCBS Dispensers.

Well, that's where I'm at just now.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Default lee

Sorry guys, i bought the lee perfect, and it wont throw consistent charges with all powders. stick or cylindrical powder are real bad, so im back to weighing every charge.

Smitty, IMHO There just ain't a powder measure that will do what you want. At least not one I have ever seen. The closest thing to it is a dipper of some sort. Like you, I am not a big fan of dippers either.

I own a manual Lyman 55 and the manual RCBS (forget the number but it is the standard one) and even with setting the micrometer marks as exact as I can I still have to adjust slightly to get closer than 0.5 gr. with almost any powder. In short I wouldn't trust the micrometer marks to get me any closer than 0.5 gr.

Comparing between the two, Lyman and RCBS, I have no preference. They both work well and have good repeatability from one powder drop to the next. They both behave the same with the different powders consistency. Were I purchasing a new one today I would get a Lyman because it comes with a powder baffle where you have to purchase the RCBS baffle seperate.

For loading at the range I take my Lyman 55 measure and my Lyman Pro 500 balance beam scale. Now if you wanted to weigh your powder drops at home and then go to the range without moving any of the adjustments I would expect the drops to be very close to what they were at home. Once you move the micrometer settings though all bets are off. However, I just don't feel comfortable without weighing my powder drops.

Dan

Default Several on my bench,...

depending on what I'm doing.
    I've got a Dillon mounted on my 550 press. It works well with ball or flake, and those are appropriate for the cartridges and loads that I bulk load on it.
    I also have two of the RCBS measures, and they work all right, but I still check them against the scales with the 'big stuff'.
    For throwing consistent charges of ANY powder, I prefer an ancient Belding and Mull, one with the sliding hopper, and drop tube. It'll drop more powder than any cartridge I presently load for can take.
    There's also an old Hollywood that I use, and it really doesn't do any better than the others, but it has a built-in trickler so I can set the pan under the drop tube and run the charge to null without having to add a couple of hand movements that the other measures need.
    I've got an old Ohaus, also, but it needs parts and never did any better job than the RCBS, though I use Ohaus, or Ohaus manufactured RCBS scales exclusively. They're getting long in the tooth, but still work better than I need and see no need to replace 'em.

Smitty,

I missed the part about being range portable.... sorry.

The Lyman DSPIII is NOT what I would consider suitable for that kind of thing, and as you suspected, it is very sensitive to air currents, temperature etc. In short, it likes to be warm and cozy INSIDE of your house!

Default Latest version of B&M

http://www.montanavintagearms.com/reloading.html
    Also about ideal if you've a mind to load black powder cartridges, the brass hopper is MUCH less prone to create and maintain static charge.....mount it to a board and c-clamp it to the bench wherever you are.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast