Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Electra-dyne Pot Hauler (Puller)

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6

    Default Electra-dyne Pot Hauler (Puller)

    hello: joined this forum to help,i am the the person who builds the Electra-dyne hauler.i am here to answer any questions that you might have.i am not here to sell.so lets hear those questions.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    anchorage
    Posts
    344

    Default

    Do you know an ole lobsta' fishaman named Steve da Potbuilder ?

    Seriously, welcome to the forum!!

  3. #3
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6

    Default

    yes i do,and thanks for the welcome,hope i can do some good,even if i am on the otherside of country.

  4. #4
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pot Hauler Guy View Post
    yes i do,and thanks for the welcome,hope i can do some good,even if i am on the otherside of country.
    How about some pictures hooked up to a davit? I currently have a safe-T-puller and am very satisfied, but am always looking for a better mouse trap, plus this old, bearded lobstah guy that frequents the forum says they are the cat's meow.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  5. #5
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    How about some pictures hooked up to a davit? I currently have a safe-T-puller and am very satisfied, but am always looking for a better mouse trap, plus this old, bearded lobstah guy that frequents the forum says they are the cat's meow.

  6. #6
    Member polardds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    802

    Default More Specs please

    Just wanted some more specs. I too have a safe-t-puller and am in need of replacing it. Your model looks similar to the safe-t-hauler, do you have a version where the hauler is on the head of the davit? I assume yours is electric? How many amps does it draw? What type of speeds and what weights are recommended?

    Thanx for any info

  7. #7
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    Well guys here's you chance to get some info right from the haulers mouth. I personally can't understand why they hang the hauler on the end of the davit??? it just makes more work in my humble opinion, more dangerous trying to loop the rope over the hauler up in the air like that & what do you do with the rope after it comes out of the hauler? somebody still has to guide /coil it into a tote or barell?? What about all the water(and broke up jellyfish parts) raining down on you or blown by the wind coming off the sheaves?? I'm sure somebody is going to tell me how easy there set up works but i still think a davit mounted hauler it a lot easier/safer working.
    Anyway I hope that our new member, Larry, can answer all of your questions about the Electra Dyne haulers then you can PM me or Larry and get the rest of the info we can't post here.

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  8. #8
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6

    Default

    hello:we do not have a version that mounts on head of a davit,i put a picture on last night of our version,which we have been using for 25 years.it is electric 3/4 hrs.motor that draws 36-45 amps.based on a 100 lbs. line speed for the 20-1 gear ratio is 290,and 200 for the 30-1 gear ratio,on our 10 inch hauler.over the years fisherman all over the world have told us that they have used this in excess of the 250 lbs. limit we advertise.hope this helps

    larry

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    anchorage
    Posts
    344

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pot Hauler Guy View Post
    hello:we do not have a version that mounts on head of a davit,i put a picture on last night of our version,which we have been using for 25 years.it is electric 3/4 hrs.motor that draws 36-45 amps.based on a 100 lbs. line speed for the 20-1 gear ratio is 290,and 200 for the 30-1 gear ratio,on our 10 inch hauler.over the years fisherman all over the world have told us that they have used this in excess of the 250 lbs. limit we advertise.hope this helps

    larry
    That pretty much answers all my questions about the specs. I couldn't find the recommended # limit on you're website in the past. Now to decide on which gear ratio would be best. I sure like the speed of 20:1 for fast retrieves while prospecting with single pots but wonder how that would do pulling 5 pot sets. Does it have anything like an overheat relay to protect the motor or is it better to just go with 30:1 ? Steve, I'd like your advice also if possible.

    Thanks

    Dave

  10. #10
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    6

    Default

    5 pot sets would be no problem with either ratio,all depends on how deep you are and how fast you want it to haul.if they are set with some distance in between them.i am going to change some wording in the web site so it is more user friendly.most of the time i talk to fisherman on the phone and forget that we have a web site.still old fashion.but i hear you guys are in 5 to7 hundred feet;so maybe the faster one would be best.

    larry
    Last edited by Pot Hauler Guy; 02-18-2009 at 16:58. Reason: added mor info

  11. #11
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Looks like a quality set up. Similar to the Safe-T-Puller that we see so much of on the left coast. Perhaps the electrodyne is a right coast thing? The safe-T-puller can be mounted the same way if you would rather not have it up at the top of the davit. Your puller is faster, but geared differently. The "left coast" version is rated at 1.1 hp, 1.6hp, or 2.1hp depending on the model and geared with a 159:1 ratio. I pull 5 pots on a string and have not had any issues with the 1.6hp model. It pulls plenty hard. I would really like to see one of these electroynes in action, though. Somebody go out and buy one so we can see it at work!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  12. #12
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Looks like a quality set up. Similar to the Safe-T-Puller that we see so much of on the left coast. Perhaps the electrodyne is a right coast thing? The safe-T-puller can be mounted the same way if you would rather not have it up at the top of the davit. Your puller is faster, but geared differently. The "left coast" version is rated at 1.1 hp, 1.6hp, or 2.1hp depending on the model and geared with a 159:1 ratio. I pull 5 pots on a string and have not had any issues with the 1.6hp model. It pulls plenty hard. I would really like to see one of these electroynes in action, though. Somebody go out and buy one so we can see it at work!
    I took a quick pic of the back of the unit for you guys to see.
    P2190011.JPG

    Wow a 159:1 gear ratio!! it must look like a watch inside that thing lots of little gears spinning around??? I have a customer who bought a E-D last year, his name on here is Alasgun and i do have some pictures of his install so do a search of his posts or pm me your email address and i'll dig up some of the pictures and his comments on how he likes his hauler. I've got a E-D here if you'd like to stop out and take a look at one and i'll have it running at all the shows this spring.
    I really think these 2 haulers are worlds apart in the ways they are built and set up, i'm not knocking your STP but with all those gears spinning around it just makes me wonder??? The E-D has a Boston Gear box on the back of it, quite a heavy duty unit, and the motor is huge, best of all its all AMERICAN made. I guess maybe i need to hook up a E-D on my rig and we'll tie off across from each other in Whittier and turn the two haulers on and see who pulls what out of each others boats.

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  13. #13
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bushboy View Post
    That pretty much answers all my questions about the specs. I couldn't find the recommended # limit on you're website in the past. Now to decide on which gear ratio would be best. I sure like the speed of 20:1 for fast retrieves while prospecting with single pots but wonder how that would do pulling 5 pot sets. Does it have anything like an overheat relay to protect the motor or is it better to just go with 30:1 ? Steve, I'd like your advice also if possible.

    Thanks

    Dave
    Dave,
    I think it ain't gonna much matter if your pulling one pot or 5 pots with the 20:1 gearbox your gonna blow the antenna's right off them shrimp. You'd have to have 20lbs of weight in each pot to even get close to the low end rating on the E-D's, even i don't have 20lbs of weight in my pots(yet). Here's part of a email that Alasgun sent me on his E-D. He fishes 4 pots on a line @100ft apart.
    "Yep, I'm in that 20:1 range and power is not a problem. As to speed, I've always meant to time how long it takes me to pick up 1100 ft of line / gear but have not done that!
    I ran mine all last season coupled to a group 27 Lifeline battery that was in the cabin with me and NOT TIED to the charging system. I could pull morning and evening for 3 days but would notice it taking longer on that last day. This year It will be tied in and I can pull continuously then. (not that I need more shrimp, thanks to my good tutelage on the subject, I'm a killer!) That last line should be good advertizing.






    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wasilla Alaska
    Posts
    456

    Default From obscurity to front page!

    Wow, i'm famous, well probably not but at least your talking about me and that's the way it should be.
    Let's see, the last time this puller thing got any real press I was dubed the "Master of Metal"; oh what a glourious day that was.

    Anyway, first things first. Steve I'm home now, will be till the end of the month and am sure looking foward to the breakfast, call and lets make that happen.

    I'm happy to see some interest being generated in the E-dyne pullers. I know Steve well enough and am somewhat familuar with the factory guy from a couple conversations we had prior to my purchase, and I'd be happy to throw my name in the hat for anyone asking questions. Better yet, Ive got pictures! This site don't do pictures good so if you are interested in mine, send me a P.M and include an email address. If you can afford one, you will quit looking elsewhere and wondering if your on top of the heap. If you can't afford one, borrow some money, being on top of the heap is everything.

    Mike (Alasgun)

  15. #15
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Funny stuff Steve! I think I will wait until my puller dies before buying an ED. FYI, the price difference between the two is negligible, also and theSTP is also made right here on the left coast of America FWIW. I do like the the speed of the ED.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wasilla Alaska
    Posts
    456

    Default Box Hauler

    In all the E-dyne discussion, I have not seen the "Box Hauler" mentioned. If I were on a boat with limited space or just did not want a davit , i'd look at these. A simple gunnel mount could be fabricated that would give you easy on and off capabilities. Ask Steve about these.
    Mike

  17. #17
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Funny stuff Steve! I think I will wait until my puller dies before buying an ED. FYI, the price difference between the two is negligible, also and theSTP is also made right here on the left coast of America FWIW. I do like the the speed of the ED.
    Use what you got i'm sure its doing the job for you just fine and i'm the last guy that would try and push anyone into buying something they don't need. When your ready for another one come and take a look at the E-D, hopefully by then there will be a bunch of them installed on some rigs to get feedback about. By the way i'd bet a E-D flush mounted on the back of your cabin would sure look pretty.

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  18. #18
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    In all the E-dyne discussion, I have not seen the "Box Hauler" mentioned. If I were on a boat with limited space or just did not want a davit , i'd look at these. A simple gunnel mount could be fabricated that would give you easy on and off capabilities. Ask Steve about these.
    Mike
    Here's a pic of the box hauler, same guts just a different way to mount it.
    electra dyne box.jpeg

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  19. #19
    Member spoiled one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    3,230

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Use what you got i'm sure its doing the job for you just fine and i'm the last guy that would try and push anyone into buying something they don't need. When your ready for another one come and take a look at the E-D, hopefully by then there will be a bunch of them installed on some rigs to get feedback about. By the way i'd bet a E-D flush mounted on the back of your cabin would sure look pretty
    I will be retrofitting "Patience" with a crane this spring (hopefully), that will lift my tender and motor into a cradle. It will then lay down out of the way along the cabin roof. My puller will clip to an attachment point along the arm of the crane. This will free up the port side gunnel of my current davit. That will be pretty.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

  20. #20
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,229

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I will be retrofitting "Patience" with a crane this spring (hopefully), that will lift my tender and motor into a cradle. It will then lay down out of the way along the cabin roof. My puller will clip to an attachment point along the arm of the crane. This will free up the port side gunnel of my current davit. That will be pretty.
    You need the "master of metal" Alasgun Mike to build you a davit like the one he has on his rig ,its absolutely beautiful, i think there are some pics of it on this site. If you can't find them let me know and i have them here and i'll email them to you.

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •