Thread: Boot lace wisdom?

Default Boot lace wisdom?

May sound like a dumb question but is there a special way to tie boots so that they don't loosen up after the first mile? I heard one time that there is a certain knot that can be used but can't remember what it is. Any help would be great.

depending on how high your boot is, on a 10 inch boot you can (I don't), turn the laces into two systems. so you tie off the forefoot lace and then tie off the ankle lace. that works well from keeping one part from taking up slack from another part. i take the loops and ends from when i tie my boots and just tie them in a knot, and that holds 90% of the time. some manufacturer laces are a little slick and can come easily unraveled. if that is happening on a certain set, i would just replace the laces.

Quote Originally Posted by hre814 View Post
    depending on how high your boot is, on a 10 inch boot you can (I don't), turn the laces into two systems. so you tie off the forefoot lace and then tie off the ankle lace. that works well from keeping one part from taking up slack from another part. i take the loops and ends from when i tie my boots and just tie them in a knot, and that holds 90% of the time. some manufacturer laces are a little slick and can come easily unraveled. if that is happening on a certain set, i would just replace the laces.
    duhhh, I will try the lower upper knot deal, I guess I never put much brain power into how to tighten boot laces!
    I am so used to retightening my laces at every summit that I just do it as part of the routine before I head down the other side. I find that if I am walking up I never notice my boots loosening untillI start back down.

As for tightening boots, I almost always have to retighten my boots after walking a little ways in them, especially if I need my boots really tight. Usually when I put my boots on and tighten my laces, my boots are not really fitted perfectly to my socks and feet. I find that after walking for a few hundred feet or so it always works well to re-tighten my boots, as I seem to do a mini re-breaking in of them after they have sat in my closet for however long, they seem to go to their natural broken in position after walking in them a little. (This applies mainly to leather and mixed synthetic mountaineering and ice climbing boots, I don't usually do this for lighter weight hiking boots)

As for plain old hiking boots, I'm assuming you've tried tyeing a, double shoe knot, where you do a double bow with the loops of the first shoe tie bow?

See here for more shoe knots than anyone would ever need to know:
    http://www.shoe-lacing.com/shoelace/knots.htm

Almost completely off topic, but when waterproofing your boots, be sure to waterproof your laces, and try to buy laces made from synthetics. Cotton laces will soak up water like a sponge and will soak into the tongue of your boots, and once water has defeated your waterproofing and soaked into leather it will wick water to your sock and ruin your day.

I was having fits with this issue as well a couple of years ago. Someone on this list turned me on to a Surgeons Knot http://www.shoe-lacing.com/shoelace/surgeonknot.htm

I have used this know for two years. Simple. NEVER fails. A simple pull on the right string and it comes off like a regular tie job. I try to teach this knot to every boot salesman I can in Alaska. The folks at Outdoor Warehouse have really been interested. Two seconds to learn
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Default Stand Up

When you first put your boots on and tie the laces, are you sitting or standing? I wear work boots every day and if I tie them up while standing I rarely have ot tighten them throughout the day, but if I tie them while sitting, usually have to redo before I reach my office. Besides that, my foot fits a lot nicer and feet are a lot happier at the end of the day. Not sure if that will help much, but it helps a little for me.

Another thing to note is that you should wear your liner socks on the outside of your cushioned sock. That way the friction is on your boot and not your skin, dramatically reducing the blister risk. Might help with the lace thing too. Not sure.

Here's the website I go to for lacing patterns & knots: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/

I use the "zipper" pattern on my hockey skates, and it holds it very tight.

Edit: It looks like it goes to the same website as the link mentioned above.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

Thanks guys!

Default lacing boots

I wear hiking boots to work almost everyday and use the same system for lacing up on hikes and hunting trips. I bought a pair of Lowa's in Germany from an Alpen outfitter store and he showed me a great way to keep them tight and provide better support. If you have boots that have open lace ups that you have to thread every time this works well. Instead of putting the string through it from bottom to top go the other way from top to bottom. You still start at the bottom set of fasten points and work your way up but the string will go in from the top and go out the bottom then move up to the next fastener. This will spread out the web of the lace to provide better support. I just tie a regular double knot in the lace so it will not come untied when done.

Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    When you first put your boots on and tie the laces, are you sitting or standing? I wear work boots every day and if I tie them up while standing I rarely have ot tighten them throughout the day, but if I tie them while sitting, usually have to redo before I reach my office. Besides that, my foot fits a lot nicer and feet are a lot happier at the end of the day. Not sure if that will help much, but it helps a little for me.

Another thing to note is that you should wear your liner socks on the outside of your cushioned sock. That way the friction is on your boot and not your skin, dramatically reducing the blister risk. Might help with the lace thing too. Not sure.
    tie while standing???? yiiikes!!

jh