Thread: Retumbo and the TSX

Default Retumbo and the TSX

Barnes does not list any data for this powder in the 7mm RM. I am getting ready to load 160 Grain TSX's and retumbo and can only find data for the Nosler Partition. Hodgden lists 69.5 g max with the Retumbo and the 160NP. Would it be safe to use that data. Anyone use a similar recipe with the TSX and Retumbo for a 7mag?

Quote Originally Posted by senecanation View Post
    Barnes does not list any data for this powder in the 7mm RM. I am getting ready to load 160 Grain TSX's and retumbo and can only find data for the Nosler Partition. Hodgden lists 69.5 g max with the Retumbo and the 160NP. Would it be safe to use that data. Anyone use a similar recipe with the TSX and Retumbo for a 7mag?

Yes, the partition data works. You'll find something around 66 to 70 grains of Retumbo with the 160 TSX to work well, with the 7mm Rem mag.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Barnes claims you can work up an extra grain or two with the TSX bullets with max loads.

I spoke with a rep from Barnes and they say they don't do any testing with Retumbo and have no future plans on doing so. That seems odd because retumbo and the overbore cartridges seem to get very high velocities compared to the traditional powders.

senecanation:

I find that comment very interesting. Page 266 of the #4 Barnes Reloading Manual claims that Retumbo is the most accurate powder in the 300RUM, seems they have used it.

I'm not surprised that the rep didn't have a clue. They have yet to answer an email that I sent requesting information on their 375 H&H data. I suspect that their data is incorrect. They claim to get 2965fps out of a rifle that typically shoots a 270gr bullet 200-300fps slower than that.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    senecanation:

I find that comment very interesting. Page 266 of the #4 Barnes Reloading Manual claims that Retumbo is the most accurate powder in the 300RUM, seems they have used it.

I'm not surprised that the rep didn't have a clue. They have yet to answer an email that I sent requesting information on their 375 H&H data. I suspect that their data is incorrect. They claim to get 2965fps out of a rifle that typically shoots a 270gr bullet 200-300fps slower than that.
    I agree, the guy I was talking with did not seem to sure of himself in regards to his own product.
    I have not seen the Barnes #4 only an older version that came out before the TSX. Do you mind telling me if the #4 has any data with retumbo and the 7RM?

Glad to help,

7mm RM:

140gr TSX / Retumbo 68.0gr 2965fps / 73.0 3145fps

160gr TSX / H1000 59.0gr 2621fps / 66.0gr 2842fps

They don't have data for Retumbo in the 160gr that you mentioned in your original post. However, H-1000 data was listed and it's burn rate is very similar. In comparison they list the same amounts of Retumbo and H1000 for the 300RUM with a 165gr TSX in their data.

I have found the Barnes data to be questionable in velocity but close in max charges in my Ruger .375 and .308 Winchester testing. I have found their .375 H&H data to be crap.

Start near the min load and work up from there, good luck.