Thread: Lake Creek Information Please

Default Lake Creek Information Please

I will be working at the King Point Lodge in Lake Creek this year as the executive chef.

I will be having two guests during the season to visit me at two different times.

One will be coming on July 7-16 and the other from August 15- 23.

How is the fishing during those times usually and how is the fishing in general in that area?

I believe the lodge is in Lake Creek at the confluence of the Yentna river.

In July there might be some sockeye but it might be a bit early, in august there might be some silvers.

The fishing at the mouth can be good I suppose but its not my cup of tea because of the insane amount of boat traffic that place gets.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    In July there might be some sockeye but it might be a bit early, in august there might be some silvers.

The fishing at the mouth can be good I suppose but its not my cup of tea because of the insane amount of boat traffic that place gets.
    Is this first-hand knowledge, or just a guess?

Quote Originally Posted by NickofTime View Post
    Is this first-hand knowledge, or just a guess?
    I worked at Rusts for a summer and they service about half the lodges out there so I figured out how the runs seemed to be and how many freaking people are out there (one pilot counted 250 banks anglers one day in late June and that doesn't count the people tied up at the mouth) , also when I showed up there in late august it was still a cluster and there were no fish around (well except the rainbows my clients picked up in front of every guide we saw )

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I worked at Rusts for a summer and they service about half the lodges out there so I figured out how the runs seemed to be and how many freaking people are out there (one pilot counted 250 banks anglers one day in late June and that doesn't count the people tied up at the mouth) , also when I showed up there in late august it was still a cluster and there were no fish around (well except the rainbows my clients picked up in front of every guide we saw )
    Ouuchhh!!!

I was at Goodnews Bay last year and it was the opposite.

No crowds at all.

Fishing at Lake Creek/Yentna really that bad?

Quote Originally Posted by jlo View Post
    Ouuchhh!!!

I was at Goodnews Bay last year and it was the opposite.

No crowds at all.

Fishing at Lake Creek/Yentna really that bad?
    I mean the fishing is/can be pretty dang good but the corwds are unbelievable for how for out it is, maybe not deshka bad but I bet its more crowded than willow creek during king season for sure. Remember goodnews bay you need a plane to get there Lake Creek is only a 4 hour drive in a medium speed boat from willow. THe good news is that you won't go crazy from lonelyness. Every time I've flown over lake creek I couldn't believe the amount of traffic. Good on the lake hood fly boys for keeping people clusted and away from the severate spots but I'd hate to pay money to go there, your getting paid too so I guess you. Its not like you couldn't find some nice water to fish or something but when you are tied boat to boat at the mouth hoping a king hits your plug that kinda sucks.

jlo I used to live right at the mouth of Lake Creek and fished it for many years. It is a busy place but lots of fish and there will be fish there for both of the dates you are concerned about. In July there will still be some kings in the creek upstream. I believe they close it now for kings on the 13th. There should be some reds then and the pinks will be showing up as well as some pike lakes in the area. In August its Silvers.

Default Kings still there in July

Have not fished Lake Creek for some years now, but I used to be a regular. There were several times when we would head up there just after 4th of July when the run at the mouth was considered over. If a guy has patience and persistance he can run into some nice kings at this time. And best of all all the other fisher folks have moved to greener pastures by this time. Good luck this summer!

In July there will be a few kings around but they are usually pretty red by that time. However there will always be some rainbows in lake creek itself. Your august timing should have plenty of silvers up there. That Lake Creek fishery is no longer (and haven't been for a long time) remote fishery. It is pretty much a combat fishery during king season in boats at the mouth. During Silver season, there can be quite the crowd as well.

Ok I guess it is combat fishing then even in a boat.

I will be at the Yentna river/Lake Creek confluence.

Are there rapids there?

Can I drive the boat away from crowds and go for rainbows/dollies to get away?

How is the grayling fishing?

Thanks to all that replied.

Default Close quarters for sure

There are no rapids anywhere close to the confluence of Lake Creek and Yentna. I took my boat (inboard Jet) about a half mile up lake creek once. Water was pretty low and I would not do that again.You could go up as far as you feel comfortable and try for the rainbows. Good luck.

Default Lots of Fish and people

Not as bad as the Deshka, but it can be challenging as most of the guests are from Europe.

I hope the "brown shirts" has cleaned it up some. I have seen some guys (the same Germans every year) that just don't care about the regulations and will take 5 Kings in one day! Yeah, I turned them in.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

What kind of lures for spinning and flies for fly fishing would I need?

Pixies and Vibrax the usual?

I use kwik fish? I actually call them banna lures. I anchor in the clear water toss it behind the boat about 10-15 feet and then sit back and wait.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/