Thread: Griz vs Man, man won!

Default Griz vs Man, man won!

This is unbelievable, my neighbor across the street was attacked by a griz about an hour ago and actually was able to kill it before it killed him. This happened on the back side of Fort Greely , the guy was walking his dogs in some LZ's on greely land and was charged and attacked by this sow, he killed her with a 30-06 straight to the throat as he went down with her on top of him. He just happened to bring the rifle because of the all the warnings people have given him about bears in the area. Smart move on his part. She raked his side pretty good, his shirt is all torn up and he is quite shook up to put it mildly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default update

It is a sow that had cubs with her.

What happened to the cubs? Young or old enough that they might survive?

A gun, don't leave home without one.

Default The cubs?

I am not really sure I heard him say that there was at least one other bear but it looked as big as her, I saw the nipples and she definately was lactating, will probably find out more later on. The guy and the bear went to the F&G after they skinned it in the driveway.

Default pays to be prepared!!!

and lucky.
    and able to function under pressure...to say the least!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

That's crazy! Thankfully he made it out alright. A decent bear to boot!

I'm assuming he'll have to give the bear up, right? Since it was shot in defense of life and had cubs with it, I imagine that F&G isn't just going to look at this as if it were shot during a legal season.

-Brian

Default B M

Thats exactly what he did, he skinned it with help from some friends as he had never skinned a bear before and took the hide and skull to F&G and told his story, I dont know what went down but he wasn't bear hunting with his 2 black labs on 33 mile loop road, I am pretty sure of that. He is pretty **** lucky to even be alive as far as I am concerned, you can only imagine how he must feel knowing that he was properly equipped for the unlikely, reacted appropriately under pressure and as a result is still alive and breathing, the whole thing is pretty hair raising. Hiked around out there grouse hunting a hundred times with my son.

Default The Truth prevails?

Speaking as only a part time Alaskan. I can appreciate what can happen just walking the dogs, I can't imagine him being punished for what he had to do. It would be a crime if he was! although I admit to knowing more than one game warden here in Minnesota who holds an animals life in higher asteem than a human beings. I admire this guys intestinal fortitude and hope he'll be okay... You know... honestly my biggest concern about finally relocating fulltime to Alaska is being procecuted for self preservation! (joking...sorta).. Much the same way I feel here in Mn except here I'm faced with gangbangers with guns.... Honestly I think I prefer the bears!...

Default The real question is...

... was he using a .243? A 30-06? heh...

Thanks for posting this. Most interesting. I'll bet he bids for that one in the fur auction! How is the guy doing now? I would imagine he's at least on antibiotics and pain pills...

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default sow attack

somehow i doubt if he is worried about the cubs.

the .30-06 in your hands beats the .416 at home in the bsmt. gun cabinet evertime. luck is where preparation meets opportunity...

It's amazing he had as powerful a weapon as a 30 06 with him. Most of us, me included, would have only had a handgun on walk like that, if anything at all.

It's also amazing he was able to bring it to bear, (so to speak), as the the bear was on him. Tough to do at close range with a long gun.

He obviously has presence of mind and courage.

Quote Originally Posted by cold zero
    somehow i doubt if he is worried about the cubs.

the .30-06 in your hands beats the .416 at home in the bsmt. gun cabinet evertime. luck is where preparation meets opportunity...
    I agree. In that situation, I could care less how many cubs the sow had or how old they were.

Default TRaining reacton

Most hunters would do better than they think with a rifle. Most of us have gone over a hundred times in our minds provided there was time to react. Unless you prctice with a handgun regularly you might as well have a club. The average joe cant hit a human size target at 20 yds off hand under controlled conditions, without stress, let alone a chrging bear. This fellow got off a fatal shot because he had the presence of mind to bring along a gun that he was comfortable nad proficient with. Good job, I wish he could keep it.

That's B.S. that a pistol is useless (like a club), there have been plenty of folk's out ther that HAVE defended themselves with a handgun (and won) against a bear, maybe not ideal, but certainly many times better than a club or no firearm at all!

People don't have to be self defense expert's or tacticle freaks to defend themselves with a pistol at point blank range, practice yes, bonafide expert no...........If someone chooses to take personal responsibility for their safety, they should practice often regardless of the firearm in their hands!

Default He is doing fine!

He dropped the hide off to me today to have a rug made. It was about a 6" female. He did have a license with him and luckily a rifle or it could have been a bad situation. F&G sealed it for him today.

Handgun or rifle the guy had the mindset to not be fair game........someone also mentioned he was lucky he had a license ....... ?!?!?

Confused....)

My walk the doggie around dangerous game regions "choice" is a 5 inch bowen redhawk 44 mag stuffed with garrett hammerheads....

If he didn't have a license or if the season was closed he would have had to turn the bear in as a DOLP kill. Since the season was open and he had a tag then it is considered a legal kill, with him unfortunately being the bait! What a story to tell when he shows friends his grizz rug!!

Default legal kill

Actually, it probably would not have been a legal kill because of the cubs. Otherwise, yes, like that black bear killed down on the Jenai a couple years ago.