Thread: Petersville 2/16/09

Palmer, AK

Default Petersville 2/16/09

Put on about 90 miles yesterday, having fun. Tons of new snow. Snowed off and on all day. Problems with flat light all contrast. Lots of un tracked deep snow. Plowed through 3-4 foot fresh snow on lakes, swamps. Never got stuck. The powder is a little wet, so it was easy to go slow through the stuff...usually I need to get up a good head of steam on my Mountain Cat to do stuff like this. Most of the groomed trails have not been groomed in a while...lots of chop. I found that riding off the trails just a few feet was like floating on air...Only problem was that the snow would pile up on the hood and in my lab so I would have to stop and clean off everything
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

We spent the entire weekend out there and the riding was fantastic! Best I've seen in a couple of years. We rented a cabin at Gate Creek and it was nice being able to just throw your gear on and go ride. Snow was incredibly deep, I spent some time carving in the deep stuff and had my sled go completely under, I'd goose it and she'd climb right out of it, what a blast. I also hit a tree with my right handlebar and bent it and my hot grips quit working too, oh well, it was still a great time!!