Thread: Lake Cr. or the Tal?

Default Lake Cr. or the Tal?

I doubt much explanation is needed for this thread, but here is a little anyway. My brother and a friend of his are coming up in mid-July. We have 5 full days and some shoulder time for a flyout. The obvious two(of the floats I haven't done) are Lake Cr. or the Talachulitna, considering our location and budget. Any opinions/first hand exp.? We are leaning to Lake Cr. because I feel like the Tal might be a longer trip than the time we have alotted and Lake Cr. is more consistent in terms of flow and water levels. Blah, blah, blah. What do you guys/gals think? Thanks, abel6wt

Default Your experience level?

In order to assist you, to help guide you, we will need to know a tiny bit about you. What is your level of experience? How many hours/miles of class III do you have? Any class IV?
    What is the roughest river in Alaska that you have rafted?

Dennis
    AK TAGS

I know able6wt has rafted Talkeetna Canyon at high water. That's a pretty solid class IV. Been lots of other stuff too.

I've not been on ether of these two, so I'll just listen in.

Default Lake Creek!

...then he can do either and I would recommend Lake Creek. I generally rate Lake Creek one level higher than some other rafters. Perhaps I am not as good as others or perhaps I'm just more conservative. I reccommend Lake Creek because....everybody needs to do it and see it at least one time. Although I have only done it once, it is again on my to-do list.

I did Lake Creek only one time during a warm last week in June ('06?) and it was very sensational rafting. It was very great, grand and beautiful Class III and a surprising stretch of class IV. The middle river water was enough that I did not let my partners touch the oars at all...(it's my boat). The first and last day of rafting is simple moving, flat water. The middle two days was a blast and more than I had been verbally prfepared for.

(The King fishing on that trip was sub-standard.)

Dennis
    AK TAGS

Thanks for the replies all, and the voucher, Jim. I was pretty sure the end result was going to be Lake Cr. so i am excited by the info in these replies. I was sort of down on Lake Cr. because of its popularity(I don't know why that is a detraction, but it is). I also got the impression, from many sources, that it is tamer than the replies i've heard here. Take class III/IV, add good fishing and you have yourself a helluva 5 day trip - can't wait. Keep the opinions flowing(keeps my mind on the river and off of work).Take care, abel6wt