Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compact sheep/goat rifle

Default Compact sheep/goat rifle

I have been looking at the ruger m77 compact. 16.5 inch barrel, real light, in stainless it's 6 lbs. Anyone carry one in the high country? I am looking for a compact, light pack gun mainly for sheep or goat but will also use on high alpine deer hunts. The gun comes in several calibers. .223 .243 .260 7mm-08 .308. I was leaning toward .243 for I already have the brass and dies but wanted to know what other thought.

What caliber do most of you shoot also? I want to make sure I buy the best caliber for the gun and its use.

Comments on any of the other compact rifles are welcome also. I am just starting to shop around.

Thanks in advance for the tips.
    Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!

You want a Remington Modle "7", in .243W. 20 inch barrel and 6 1/2 pounds.

I just want to find one in .243w with a wooden stock and open sights.

I took the comb and cheek peice off a model 700 ADL . It was a tad longer and had a bit more weight, but its a .243w I still mourn the loss of.....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

There was a story here in the past about a sheep hunter that used that rifle and loved it. It also packs nice through the brush. It is one of the few rifles that can sit on an atv rack and not stick off the sides!
    I picked up one for my wife chambered in 308 but in blued/wood as every first rifle should be! It was the only rifle she could hold steady standing and hit her mark. People will blast the short barrel and complain about muzzle blast but I know we have never had a problem with it. We wear hearing protection at the range and she has only fired once at an animal, we didn't notice the noise as the moose dropped! I hate shooting it but I am 6'5" tall and the LOP is way to short for me to comfortably fire. My wife is far shorter and she can run 15 rounds through it without whining at all. She was able to make her shot this year on a cow moose at ~70yds standing unsupported, and hit it in the spine just behind the head. The moose certainly didn't notice the round was from a 16.5" barrel! I would go 308 if you are looking to take goats. A 308 in a 150grn core loct should get you done easily on any sheep/goat/deer and aparently a moose since I got a freezer full at home.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    There was a story here in the past about a sheep hunter that used that rifle and loved it. It also packs nice through the brush. It is one of the few rifles that can sit on an atv rack and not stick off the sides!
    I picked up one for my wife chambered in 308 but in blued/wood as every first rifle should be! It was the only rifle she could hold steady standing and hit her mark. People will blast the short barrel and complain about muzzle blast but I know we have never had a problem with it. We wear hearing protection at the range and she has only fired once at an animal, we didn't notice the noise as the moose dropped! I hate shooting it but I am 6'5" tall and the LOP is way to short for me to comfortably fire. My wife is far shorter and she can run 15 rounds through it without whining at all. She was able to make her shot this year on a cow moose at ~70yds standing unsupported, and hit it in the spine just behind the head. The moose certainly didn't notice the round was from a 16.5" barrel! I would go 308 if you are looking to take goats. A 308 in a 150grn core loct should get you done easily on any sheep/goat/deer and aparently a moose since I got a freezer full at home.

Well I guessed I'm all messed up then. My first rifle was stainless synthetic. In Rem. Model 7 .308. Used to be my fav rifle and still would be if my wife hadn't claimed it. Still if going on a sheep hunt (without her), I think it might be getting the nod as its taking moose, grizz, caribou, and still needs to get atleast something that is white and on the mountains either sheep or goat.

My all around rifle is a Browning A-Bolt Mountain TI. edition in 300WSM. The receiver is titanium i think**... either way shes a very VERY light rifle. I can group it very well to 400 yds. Honestly i wouldnt be afraid to shoot out to 550 yds. IF AND ONLY IF conditions were ideal, i.e. wind, rest, my condition, and all of that. Granted ive modified the trigger, shoot custom hand loads etc. and spent many hours and rounds at the range. Its a solid rifle. Ive flipped a 4wheeler onto it and it endured that without a hiccup. its been used and abused with nothing to show but a scratch or 2 on it. definitely won my approval. hope this helps!

A thought here....
    One thing about a short stock length in such a rifle , in Alaska at least , is that it is often made up for with sweaters, jackets and coats/parkas in our cool to "Dang its C-C-C-C-COLD!!" Climates and Winters.

Might add that we carry them way more than we actually shoot them , time wize, and that lighter weight is a real blessing.

Shuks...
    I have to listen to myself someday....

(I still carry a 9lb Mosin~LOL!!!~Simply because it "Fits" and its wickedly accurate)
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I also have the compact in .308, but mine is the ss w/laminated stock and I've taken it on 3 goat hunts. It is nice going up the mtn.

Default Sheep rifle

This is a subject I have given a lot of thought to this year....what to take on my sheep hunt? My favorite rifle is a Rem mdl 7 7mm-08 w/Leupold 2X7. However, I need to put on a syn stock. This rifle is very accurate out to 400 yds with my handloaded 140 noslers w/46 grains of IMR 4350.
    That said, I bought a Rem XCR 700 300 mag w/Leupold 3X9 and I really love this rifle! Recoil is less than with my model 7 but it will weight about 2 lbs more than my 7 with a syn stock. It is probably like picking my spot on opening day of deer season.......won't decide until the last possible minute.

Quote Originally Posted by steeliekingfisher View Post
    I have been looking at the ruger m77 compact. 16.5 inch barrel, real light, in stainless it's 6 lbs. Anyone carry one in the high country? I am looking for a compact, light pack gun mainly for sheep or goat but will also use on high alpine deer hunts. The gun comes in several calibers. .223 .243 .260 7mm-08 .308. I was leaning toward .243 for I already have the brass and dies but wanted to know what other thought.

What caliber do most of you shoot also? I want to make sure I buy the best caliber for the gun and its use.

Comments on any of the other compact rifles are welcome also. I am just starting to shop around.

Thanks in advance for the tips.
    My only thought would be that I would rather have it in 7-08 or 308. It will cost you a set of dies, but over time that's nothing. If you have a pile of 243 brass you can always eck up, but 7-08 & 308 brass is pretty easy to come by.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default I have it in .308

This is my favorite rifle, have taken a sheep, goats, black bears and blacktails with it. Versatility of ammo for .308 makes it the caliber for me. Can carry a 180 gr. nosler in the pipe, shoots 150 gr. light magnum sst's really nice out to 350 yds in a sheeps chest depth.
    Fits into my pack and barrel doesn't extend over the top. The other like this I might like is the frontier rifle in 300 wsm, although I would probably just mount the scope on the back mount.

I'd follow the crowd on this one and lean towards the .308 just for overall versatility. The problem with light guns is you carry them once and you want to carry them all the time. So pick a caliber you'll use the most cause you'll find yourself reaching for the lightweight gun (as long as it fits well) almost 100 percent of the time.
    I've got a .416 thats 6.2lbs and if i grab it for deer hunts, goat hunts, sheep hunts, brown bear hunts, you name it. I won't carry my old .338 anymore just cause it don't fit or carry like my .416.
    Go with verstility...what calibers fits your overall plans the best and have fun.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Devil in the details

Of course he failed to mention he'll be roaming about the ABC's. I'm also weighing in on a light weight rifle this year. My thoughts today are a light 338 with every attention to detail and getting rings and scope light too. I don't care what make and model you buy as long as it meets your weight and performance requrements. I know with your job as an assistant guide you'll be beating the heck out of a rifle. Not to mention you'll be wandering alot of backcountry alone while trapping and hunting. Get a "bear pill" as my good friend says. Good luck this season and welcome to Alaska.

Default For Sheep and Goats

If you are looking to spend as little as possible than my suggestions are not the right choice, but if money isnt such an issue I'd recommend the Kimber Model 84M Montana. The rifle weighs 5 pounds 4 ounces with a 22 in. barrel and comes chambered in .243, 257 roberts, 260 Rem, 7mm-08, .308 an .338 Federal. The MSRP is 1276, but like most manufacturers you can pick them up cheaper than this. A second choice would be the Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight. The weatherby is chambered in a wider variety of choices with non magnum calibers weighing in at 5 and 3/4 pounds magnum calibers from .257 weatherby (my first choice for sheep and goats given the long distance capabilities) to 300 wby. mag weigh a pound more. The magnums come with a 26 inch barrel as opposed to the 24 inch barrel which accounts for the extra weight. The Kimber would be my first choice, its lighter and has a shorter barrel AND its 600 bucks cheaper.

the .338 fed would be super for alaska applications.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default tikka

I use a tikka t3 in .300wsm. Super accurate and light. Put a hammer on things shooting 168 or 180 grain barnes tsx.

My buddies have the kimber inn .308 and that is one light rifle but at double the cost of a tikka.

First calibers that come to mind are the eternal 308 or efficient 7-08. The (relatively) new Federal 338 would also be a good choice. The Hornaday Compact Magnums....something to also think about. The platform to launch from should prob best be SS and syn and reliable feeding is HIGHLY desirable. MOA accuracy is assumed. Good luck.

Thanks for the input folks. I have some thinking to do and some more added research now. Dang, I didn't know there were so many compact rifles out there. So far I like the Ruger the best in SS thus far, but some of the new ones posted here will have to be looked at. Thanks again in all your guys help getting me fully set up with the best gear for the task at hand.
    Take a youngster out when you go, it will change his/her life forever!!

Default Appreciate the posts

Welcome to the game! I've been "weighing" in on this for a couple of years now and I will be getting something here this spring. There are a lot of nice lightweight rifles out there and I would go pull each one up if I were you.

Personally, the Kimber is what I will likely go for. I don't think I have ever pulled a rifle to my shoulder that felt as good. Price tag hurts, but it is what it is. As for the comment on a Tikka being half the cost; he's right, but I do believe the Kimber is a better rifle in general.

I think that a 5lb 4oz Kimber Montana in .308 would sure be hard to beat in the quest for the ultimate mountain rifle without breaking the $2,000 price mark, and on the plus side if your concerned with the QC issues that folks like to bring up about Kimbers, I cannot recall ever reading a single story of a .308 Montana being plagued with any issues, the 7mm-08's I cant say the same for. Of course I went with a 300WSM Montana, weighs a bit more but has a wee bit more uumph too!...grin Sheep blood and Kimbers just seem to go hand in hand!

Default Ruger compact

I also have the Ruger compact ss w/laminated stock but in .260...really nice shooting gun but limited in bullet selection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast