Thread: 4-H Shooting Sports

Thumbs up 4-H Shooting Sports

Well we are finally off the ground, thanks to SCI and the NRA the Kenai Peninsula 4-H now has a shooting sports program again. We meet once a week and thanks to grants from SCI and NRA we have purchased some pretty nice CO2 pellet rifles, have a place to shoot, etc. Right now we have a lot of younger kids interested and a few teenagers, trying to get some more older kids into it also. So there you have it if you get a chance thank the NRA and SCI, they do a tremendous job supporting the youth of the area as shown here. We are not a lucky as the Anchorage and Fairbanks areas as our schools will not allow guns or shooting sports of any kind in them. Hopefully we can change that and get more kids interested.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." John Wayne

Ha, I just posted in the other thread on this topic a couple minutes ago that I was going to call the Cooperative Extension office to find out what happened to all our 4-H shooting sports stuff. I was one of the instructors in the late 90's. We should talk...
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Shooting Sports

I'm on the slope right now but we could sure use some more leaders, we have a couple in Ninilchik and a couple up here that are officially trained. We do get several adult volunteers at each meeting but we have to have at least one 4-H "officially trained" leader. Sent you a PM.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." John Wayne

Good on ya Warhorse! I am happy as all get out that you got it to fly. I may look into it as well, I loved shooting in the 4-H when I was a kid.

Andy

Default 4-H

I'm just one of the leaders, it takes a group to get it going. I know several of the other 4-H areas also got grants, Mat-Su area, Tanana, Fairbanks, etc. but I haven't heard how their programs are going yet.

Warhorse I commend you and the others that got this going. Your efforts are helping pass along an excellent sport. I spent 9 years in 4-H and my mother has been a life long leader. If you don't mind me asking, is it the local school board that is the road block getting these activities in the school?

Default 4-H

I know the current superintendent is a huge obstacle, the school board has changed quite a bit in the past several years so I'm not sure where they stand. I will definitly try again once she (superintendent) is replaced this summer (retiring). It's just a great thing that we have organizations like 4-H, SCI, and the NRA that will assist us in these endeavours. The Boy Scouts are another great organization my son and I went to Camp Gorsuch a couple years ago and he was able to compete in rifle shooting, they had some nice Kimber.22 rifles and the works to go with it, he placed 3rd for the camp and was listed in the NRA records book for the year. They had a fantastic merit badge counselor working the rifle range and he taught all of the finer points of safety then he also introduced the boys to black powder shooting. It would be nice to have a shooting program in our local school here on the Peninsulalike they have in the cities.

Warhorse-
    PM coming. I'm involved with the 4H shooting sports and trying to figure out who you are.