Thread: Getting out of the hole and on plane

Default Getting out of the hole and on plane

My old boat was a 22' Crestliner cuddy aluminum with a 185hp mercruiser. When I gunned it to plane, it would rare up where I couldn't see over the bow then after awhile settle into a nice plane. I couldn't trim it up much or it would cavitate. The helm was behind the cab on this boat.

My new HC Alaskan 260, mid-cab, with twin Honda 135/s, counter rotating, takes maybe 2-3 seconds to be on full plane. It doesn't rare up at all, just seems to rise up maybe a foot in the front and it's planing. I adjust the motor trim to get the fastest speed without cavitating, and we're off. I am just amazed at this quick planning, and I'm not powered all that high. The helm of this boat is in the front area of the cabin, maybe it's just a matter of perspective that it doesn't seem to rise much??

I think my power is fine, cruise 28-30 mph at about 4k rpm, get 3.0-3.5 mpg, maybe a little less with a big load and heavy seas.

Is this typical of you other HC owners, esp the AK series? My boat does seem a bit bow heavy when sitting in the water, even with those big motors hanging on the extended transom. I think that is typical for this boat. My boat seems to perform great in all conditions, but it is weird to be on instant plane, am I missing something or is this just a great setup?

If you're missing something then so am I. Your description is what I experience. I don't have counter rotators and only running twin 115s so your cruise speed is a little higher then mine at that RPM. I'm extremely pleased with my boat. like you said a little bow heavy but overall good all around boat for a decent price.

Default out of the hole

Mine does as you suggest however I am reluctant to goose it and use the power tilt-n-trim as well as the trim tabs to provide a smooth take off. I have twin 150 yami`s as I found the 115`s just a little anemic with the gear I carry.

Default Looks like I got the right setup

OK, looks like we all go to instant plane. I wondered about getting the counter rotating, my dealer was really nice but a bit underinformed on a lot of questions I had. So, I asked for it and it seems fine. I have no idea if it performs better than two same rotating.

I am running 16x17 stainless props on the boat, have a set of 15 1/2 x 17 aluminum props for spares. Some guys have told me to run the aluminum if you EVER might hit a rock, as they will tear up before the lower unit. Hmmm.....how do I already know that is true??

In my old boat, prop pitch was critical to performance, maybe it's the prop pitch that makes you a little slower, Hewey260? I would think with 115's you might be running smaller or lower pitch props?

Ron

I run a 13.5 x15 3 blade stainless in the salt and when I ran the Yukon and for heavier loads I run a 13.75 x 15 4 blade Alum. This set up worked great on the Yukon getting me on plane quick with the load of meat, fuel and gear.

Default Hewey that would explain it...

Your prop setup sounds right for you and would give a little less speed at the same rpm than mine. Lots of motor options keep getting discussed, but the right prop can make different setups perform well.

I did the 4-blade aluminum on my old boat for those same reasons, it really got me out of the hole better with a load than the 3 blade, but didn't have as much bite at the higher speed/rpm. But a nice tradeoff for both of us for what we were trying to do.

I also had a problem cavitating with the old boat and 3-blade when I would get into the Valdez Harbor area with the heavy glacial silt concentration, and the 4-blade never did that. If you were running glacial rivers with your 4-blade that probably made a difference too.

Ron