Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homer for Halibut

Default Homer for Halibut

My wife and I are planning a trip to Homer this year do to some Halibut fishing. It will be the second trip in our boat, which is a riverboat and will limit us to good weather nad not too far out. We are strictly novices at this type of fishing, we went last year over July 4th. Had a great time and even caught a few, we had some good weather so were able to head out some 15 miles towards the inlet.
    The question is: is May a ok time for Halibut in Homer? any specific time better than others? are they typically in closer at that time?
    Thanks for any help/advice

Default All about luck

The best day I had in homer last year in my 18' boat was in May.
    May 19th.

Caught a limit of 20-40lbs.

I have found that as long as you in a bay or off the boat by 1-3 pm when the wind picts up may is a good month.

Soak bait , soak bait, soak bait. I had two poles soaking bait and worked a small jig on a salmon rod for fun.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Charterboat Operator

May is usually a great time for closer to shore halibut, most of the fish come in to feed, following hooligan and the herring i would presume. You can find alot of fish in waters less than 100 feet and inside of 4 miles form shore. GREAT time of year to combine halibut with some early salt king fishing. great area from the homer bluffs all the way up to Deep Creek.

Thumbs up Last week of May

It was good for us.Caught 16 fish in 4 days last year.Our best day was 8 in about 2 hours.We would try to leave the harbor by 6:00am and be in no later than1:00pm.Would not even try to go out if it was rough in the morning.This has been the family vacation destination for the last 5 years and it lets us put away some halibut for the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    May is usually a great time for closer to shore halibut, most of the fish come in to feed, following hooligan and the herring i would presume. You can find alot of fish in waters less than 100 feet and inside of 4 miles form shore. GREAT time of year to combine halibut with some early salt king fishing. great area from the homer bluffs all the way up to Deep Creek.
    I hope I am not asking for any secrets, but do you just run parallel to the short and look for some structure with the depth finder?

Default Charts

I recommend that you visit your local chart shop and buy the most detailed marine charts for the area that you would like to fish and look for structure.

While Homer has a great launch and it really doesn't matter if the surf is rolling in or not, I prefer to pick my days and launch out of Anchor point or Deep Creek and fish in close. In May, you would likely do very well in less than 1 mile from shore! I have several friends who launch a drift boat from the beach and row out and do extremely well, without a gps or a depth finder at that!

I agree with the previous post that the fish will likely be in much closer and will likely be a bit smaller than what you could find in July, but there are fish and plenty of them. You could also try to troll for some kings during the tide change during that time.

Good luck, and be safe

Charterboat Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    I hope I am not asking for any secrets, but do you just run parallel to the short and look for some structure with the depth finder?
    drop me a pm with your e-mail address, i have a few spots that i am willing to share that are close.
    for the most part its easy, look for the little bit of structure thereis in the inlet, and go to it w/ gps. pretty much guarantee you that it is only close to what is actually there and any topo llines are going to beoff the way that things change out there, but you will be close.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskanfishguides View Post
    I recommend that you visit your local chart shop and buy the most detailed marine charts for the area that you would like to fish and look for structure.

While Homer has a great launch and it really doesn't matter if the surf is rolling in or not, I prefer to pick my days and launch out of Anchor point or Deep Creek and fish in close. In May, you would likely do very well in less than 1 mile from shore! I have several friends who launch a drift boat from the beach and row out and do extremely well, without a gps or a depth finder at that!

I agree with the previous post that the fish will likely be in much closer and will likely be a bit smaller than what you could find in July, but there are fish and plenty of them. You could also try to troll for some kings during the tide change during that time.

Good luck, and be safe
    I have two charts: Gore point to Anchor point scale 1:82,662 And Anchor point to Kalgin Island, scale 1:100,000. Are these adequate or do I need a diffrent scale?
    Thanks for the help.

Default Perfect

I have two charts: Gore point to Anchor point scale 1:82,662 And Anchor point to Kalgin Island, scale 1:100,000. Are these adequate or do I need a diffrent scale?
    Thanks for the help.
    Take those and with a good strong cup of coffee (or other beverage of choice) and study the areas within your comfort zone. Look for particular structure in those areas.

When fishing the shallows, you will be able to use lighter weight, lighter tackle and so on, so it can be a very enjoyable trip.

Cheers

Default well...

I have two charts: Gore point to Anchor point
    You might try that compass rose in the middle of the bay
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default Good spot

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    You might try that compass rose in the middle of the bay
    I agree that this is a traditionally good spot, however I would feel very exposed in a river boat! You are out in the big water, in the middle of nowhere. If the weather were great and the tides were such that you could get out there and back before noon, it may be a great place but it would take some time to make a run if the weather were to change.

There are other spots as good along the shoreline (5 miles or less).

Cheers

oh its not that bad. I think you could pull this off without too much trouble.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I've been wanting to catch halibut in my boat but wasnt sure if I could or not. I have a 17' jon boat so im limited as well. Could it be done if I use common sence and stay close to shore? within a mile or two. Sorry to hijack.

Quote Originally Posted by bruinman View Post
    I've been wanting to catch halibut in my boat but wasnt sure if I could or not. I have a 17' jon boat so im limited as well. Could it be done if I use common sence and stay close to shore? within a mile or two. Sorry to hijack.
    Absolutely, you just have to use your head. Don't go out if the weather is questionable, and if you do go out, at the first sign of a change in weather, head back in. Halibut can be caught close to shore pretty easily.

Quote Originally Posted by bruinman View Post
    If you drift in from Anchor River EARLY you should be able to get out just a 1/4 mile or so and do well for salmon/halibut.

Default Sounds great

I think i might try that this year. GO forhalibut first then troll for salmon. anyone willing to go on a weekend? Thanks guys

It's pretty simple: WATCH THE WEATHER. If it is bad in the morning, forget it, because it won't get better in the afternoon. The majority of the time, its pretty nice in the morning, and then about 1 you get some wind to come up. Usually isn't too bad but something you have to keep your eye on.

Question Anchor Point

Where do you launch at Anchor Point? At the mouth of the river?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Anchor Point and Deep Creek are Tractor Launces from the beach. I belive cost was in the neighbourhood of $50 to $55 last year.

Homer is my honey hole for Halibut. Not afraid to share this information as there are plenty of fish in the Ocean. Will keep to myself what I fish with Most people want to go out early and come back early. Works pretty good since the winds and chop come up around Noon or 1 PM. Usually the seas calm down after 7 PM. Great time to go out also and fish any of the slack tides. Not many people fish the evening. I like to sleep in late, fish late and clean fish late and not fight the crouds at the tables. I have fished up until 1 am when I finally got dark. Its beautiful out there after it gets dark on a clear night. Seams like when the lights turned off the Halibut went to bed.

Fish 1.5 hours before and after any slack tide and you will do just fine. Catching and releasing 10-30 fish in 3 hours with 3 poles in the water is normal. 15-40 pounds is the Norm. Last year the fish were much smaller 8-20 pounders but plentiful. 140-200 feet of water infront of Pogi Pt, English bay (Nanwalic) or Flat Island and you can't miss. I'm never more than one mile off shore. I start in May thru July and always do best in late June and July.

If the weather gets a little rough for you, tuck into Seldovia. Great little town, nice friendly folks, almost always empty fish cleaning tables, good food, (bar has great pizza) and let the kids fish at the bridge for Kings or just mull around the town. You will be glad you made the stop.

If your at Flat Island or Pogi Pt and you can't make it back to Seldovia to get off the water, 1 mile south of Pogi point is a stream. There is a kelp bed infront of the mouth. You can go up the stream and get off the water. Its narrow and deep. Had to do it once and I was glad to know it was there and had checked it out a few years before on a beautiful calm day.

Watch your crossings at Seldovia Bay and from McDonald Spit to Yukon Island as the winds can get a little sporty if the rest of the Kachemak Bay is 2-3 feet. If you start getting white caps, get off the water with your little boat. The tide will start to rip about 2 hours after the tide change at Pogi Point or Flat Island so watch pay close attention. Those waters look like a class 5 rapids when this happens. Pretty scary stuff. I don't recommend setting an anchor at Pogi or Flat Island. If you get caught in the riptide, good bye anchor. Just drift during the slack tide and you will do just fine. I've done this for 6 years in an 18 foot Jetcraft. Just watch the water and get off before you get too uncomfortable. Hope this helps and good luck fishing. I am now just starting to learn Seward for Halibut. Anyone want to share any information?

Mark

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast