Thread: Cabela's Boundary Waters bag

Default Cabela's Boundary Waters bag

I live in Idaho but this site is probably the best out there for asking questions about extreme outdoor activity. I spend a lot of time in the field during hunting season and am also a (new, inexperienced) assistant scoutmaster for my son's troop so I really need to start getting some better gear. I'm tired of being uncomfortable. I am a side sleeper and tend to sleep cold (especially my feet). I need to find a good sleeping bag that doesn't make me go into a claustrophobic fit while I'm sleeping. I will be tent camping during every month of the year here in Idaho so I think a zero rated bag might be in my best interest. Weight is also somewhat of an issue because I may pack in 3-5 miles while covering 1000 feet or so in elevation. This is the only bag I can find that looks like it may fit my needs well http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas but I would like to see other options to consider. A mummy bag is absolutely out of the question. Does anyone have an opinion on the bag I linked to above? Any similar bags that I should look at? Thanks.

Thumbs up North Face Goliath

Its a mummy but built for bigger people. rated to 0 degrees and light weight. Hillbilly

Default Big Agnes Summit Park

I know you said zero degree, this bag is a +15 degree but it is huge. About 40" at the shoulder and 78" long. And it is light! Check it out here http://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Bag/SummitPark

I own the Whiskey Park Zero bag, but it is a little heavy to bag pack a long ways. I am a large guy, 6' and 300lbs and love the Big Agnes bags. If you buy the Dual Core Insulated pad to go under the Summit Park, I bet you would be good to zero.

I also own one of the older Cabelas boundry waters down bags and my big agnes is much better.

good luck,

steve

Thanks for the replies. Very helpful. I hadn't found the Goliath but in looking at the Big Agnes bags, I had found the Summit and really like the idea of not rolling off the sleeipng pad. I'm looking really hard at that bag now. Goose down, 3# 8oz, and it looks very roomy. Now I just need to see one in person.

I take float trips in the arctic each fall. At 6'6" 300 lbs, I needed a bigger bag. The Cabelas Boundary Waters bag is incredible. Packs very small into its provided waterproof compression bag. Cabelas has awesome customer service. Get the bag and if you don't like it, return it. I am sure you will be keeping the bag though. Awesome bag.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I have one that worked great up until I lent it out and it sat in the back of a truck with a bunch of gas cans. After washing it and drying it, it is not a 40+ bag at best. Before that it was great, super light weight, very packable. I have been searching for a replacement but I want synthetic instead of down, finding a lightweight replacement that packs as small that doesn't cost 4x as much has been difficult. I ordered another cabela's bag and it weighs twice as much and won't even fit in the old stuff sack. I toss and turn a lot during the night so the mummy bags just don't work. The rectangle bags are awesome, you just have to accept that they weight a little more.

Steve

Default I have 1

I have one I have used in Idaho on scout trips every month of the year.
    Mine is rated to +15. I got a silk liner and was fine except on the -15 night.
    I got a nice thick self inflating pad which acts as a barrier between me and the ground. I sleep on the ground as the cold air under a bed or cot steals my heat. I also used it last year in Alaska on a float hunt with temps down around +20 and was very comfortable (I did open it on a couple of nights).
    It's all the bag I need and I got it in the bargain cave at cabelas, paid $70!

Quote Originally Posted by ctrout View Post

I had found the Summit and really like the idea of not rolling off the sleeipng pad.
    Put your inflattable pad inside the sleeping bag. Works great and no more rolling off the pad all night. Better with a rectangle bag if you have a rectangle shaped pad, mummy shaped pad will work in either of course.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.