Thread: Seeking info on Crosswind Lake

Default Seeking info on Crosswind Lake

has anyone fished this recently? if so where would you recommend as a starting point/ depth? whats the best rig? we are plannin on camping out there possibly all weekend.....thanks

Default Just came back

Just returned from ice fishing there last week and had a blast. Snowmachine trail 22 miles long is groomed.

Down to 60 ft is where we had our ice house at. Plenty of fish and best times were early am and late dusk. About every 1 in 5 lake trout was of legal size to keep. Also ran 10 Burbot lines in depths of 12 to 36 inches and landed 3 nice sized ones. Fished on the North end.

If you need a place to stay Kirk Wilson rents cabins there. O'h...we used crocks I believe but they had a slew of jigs to select from. Green ruled!
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

tdelarm: do you mean 12-36 inches or feet? did you try bait or just jigs? how much ice is there? id like to know in case i just bought an extension just in case..... thanks

Ice is just over 26 inches thick...jigs mostly. Burbot down to 2 feet deep w/bait.

hey thanks for the reply....awesome website by the way...id watch the show but im always miles away from a tv on weekends....did you guys film on that trip? think what we're gonna do is man up, save some money and camp out in the quickfish6 all weekend, at nite we can store all our gear in the quickfish3...you guys didnt see any ptarmigan or varmint sign did you? like to call some foxes/ coyotes in and get into some birds, and also how many cabins are on the lake and was there alot of people out there? sorry for all the questions but you seem to know whats up and ive never been out there before......

TKS, our website is already outdated after 5 months so the new one should be up in the next month with more eye candy. We did film the trip which is why I was there and that episode will air March 21st.

Only three ice houses total that I can remember including ours. It was VERY cold our trip so check the WX if youíre camping out. Looked for rabbits but was too cold though plenty of sign. Didnít see any Ptarmigan or foxes but according to Kirk lots of wildlife out there we just didnít focus on that too much. Nobody else was actively out there for my three days. NOT another sole in sight. Not sure of the number of private cabins on lake but not too many. Kirk Wilson has the only cabins for rent.

Itís a fun, easy, quick and affordable trip so you should go. Plenty of fish also and thereís public parking there somewhere too. Any questions stop in at any lodge nearby or Kirks place for trail information and whatever else you need.

Tim